Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar

Arizona attempts to criminalize internet trolling

The best part's in the actual words:

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

(bolding mine)

I, personally, would like to be the lawlyer in the case of Everybody v Everybody. The fees alone, man...
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    But you've annoyed me countless times! I'm alerting the authorities.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I generally approve of the concept of making people somewhat responsible for some of the things they say online, but this is quite OTT.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Huh. How would they charge an anonymous user for internet trolling, anyway?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well they seem to be able to find quite a lot of these internet guys despite them being "anonymous"

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I generally approve of the concept of making people somewhat responsible for some of the things they say online, but this is quite OTT.
    An inevitable result from media crazies attempting to cash in on helicopter parents' fear of what they always love to call "cyberbullying." (I don't think I've ever heard that term used by somebody who actually posts on boards online.) That it happened in Arizona just adds yet another reason never to go to Arizona.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Well, looks like I better straighten right and fly up, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Well, looks like I better straighten right and fly up, or something like that.
    But you're in Merry Ole, and we don't necessarily have extradiction treaties set up for this.

Tho, could you imagine if we did? We'd probably drain Russia of its teenagers overnight.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Actually for Arizona this seems pretty progressive, as far as I can tell nothing in the law is explicitly racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    But you're in Merry Ole, and we don't necessarily have extradiction treaties set up for this.
    Oh yes you bloody well do! "Critics of the treaty say it is much easier to extradite people from the UK than the US because the US does not need to present evidence to a British court to request extradition."

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    This is such an ambigous piece of shit, no way this will pass. The Internet is a free realm and people should not get punished for saying profane things. It's not good being rude or insulting but freedom of speech is a two-edged sword.

Time to get the fuck out of Arizona, Internet users. Also, your state sucks ass.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Huh. How would they charge an anonymous user for internet trolling, anyway?
    Backtrace, then report to Cyber Police. Consequences will never be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKnight View Post
    This is such an ambigous piece of shit, no way this will pass. The Internet is a free realm and people should not get punished for saying profane things. It's not good being rude or insulting but freedom of speech is a two-edged sword.
    It actually already did pass. It's whether it'll actually stand up to its first court case is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    Time to get the fuck out of Arizona, Internet users. Also, your state sucks ass.
    Y'know, this may be an elaborate dodge to end all criticism of Arizona online, on the grounds that it annoys the governor.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Y'know, this may be an elaborate dodge to end all criticism of Arizona online, on the grounds that it annoys the governor.
    In that case, bravo and well played.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Yeahhhhhh. Something, something, something, First Amendment, something, something, judge laughing and throwing out the case.