Is anyone else scared of moles?

I'm sometimes scared shitless by / of moles. I've had this issue for like ten years or so. Occasionally I get freaked out by some mole of mine and am convinced that this is the end, it's cancer now. This time a red lining has appeared to one and it's sore to touch. Guess that can be normal too, but I'm pretty much panicking. Guess this is strongly influenced by the fact that a friend / acquintance of mine died to cancer some years ago. Anyone else suffer of similar things?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Only once, and now I have a scar from where I had a biopsy taken about six years ago that is still all ugly and itchy.

To be honest, I was hoping this would be a thread about an irrational fear of moles the animals, not moles the skin thingies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Ditto Jammy. Oh well. I have several moles. At this point I am more mole than man. They all seem fine though, and I'm not dead yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Yup, thought of the animal, alternatively the "we have a mole on the inside" type thing. And now I'm wondering.. if there was a mole inside you, would it dig its way out, Alien style?

Have you seen a star-faced mole, I bet it would.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    In China's religious belief, if you have mole in your chest, you are destined to achieve great in your life.

If you have mole in your back, you will have a hard life.

And you know what? I have both! I wonder what that means. All I know is that I am CURRENTLY living a hard life.

Get it checked out, it's probably nothing, but obviously it is causing anxiety. If you have a real problem with moles, I suggest you get them removed.

And yes, I did think you meant the animals, have you ever seen one? They're so cute and furry.

Yeah, guess I should visit a doctor about those, since they are an issue to me. Maybe this particular problem is just a pimple on the edge or something. I just always first think of the worst options.

The animal is evil too though, at least here they spread that nasty disease that can have serious repercussions.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    And yes, I did think you meant the animals, have you ever seen one? They're so cute and furry.
    How many animals have nails which look like Freddy Krueger's knife glove?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Quite a few, sloths, koalas, honey badgers, aardvarks, evil mutant killer penguins, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    Quite a few, sloths, koalas, honey badgers, aardvarks, evil mutant killer penguins, to name a few.
    That's not fair. Help me out by naming a long-nailed animal which isn't cute.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I have a few moles, and similarly I had one removed when I was younger for biopsy. The dermatologist basically told me I have ultra sensitive skin and to avoid getting sunburnt at all costs. Advice I've stuck to ever since, and why I find myself looking considerably younger than my peers.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Got a few small moles, one on my back, one just above my stomach button. Never been worried about them because they've been there as long as I can remember, but the one on my front is super sensitive which makes going down waterslides head-first less fun and more painful.

Aww... like others I thought this was about the animal.

However since you raised the topic - I have a dozens of moles. If you've had them all your life I shouldn't worry about them too much. If they 'appear' then its worth speaking to a doctor, likewise if they are sore or bleed.

Good news is that they're really straightforward to remove in most situations. They'll even do it at the GP's, so no worries about hospital etc. Two main ways I've encountered are local anesthetic and then simply cutting it out with a scalpel or they can actually freeze them off.

Speaking of skin, I burn if I'm outside on a cloudy day [In the summer] for more than 10 minutes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Get it checked out. I had one grow quickly on my face, when I got it removed and biopsied the doctor said it was pre-cancerous. It was excised perfectly and you can only tell I ever had it if you know where to look, and do so closely. Since then I go back regularly and now have had all kinds of shit removed just in case, since I now have a history.

Going to the doctor beats having face cancer.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Speaking of skin, I burn if I'm outside on a cloudy day [In the summer] for more than 10 minutes.
    Are you an actual mole? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Going to the doctor beats having face cancer.
    This. This times a thousand. Prevention is a hundred times better than attempting to treat cancer. If you ignore it, and are unfortunate enough that it's melanoma, and metastases show up, you should probably start picking out a box and a plot. Alternatively, you die a horrible, prolonged death. Having nursed palliative care caner patients, I can assure you that you don't ever want to end up there. The inconvenience of having it checked is nothing compared to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee
    If you've had them all your life I shouldn't worry about them too much.

You should monitor moles. If they start to change appearance, or itch, or just change full stop really, you should get them checked. Don't ignore them. Don't assume they'll be okay. Keep watch, particularly if they're on sun-exposed areas of the body, or if they're large.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Moles are also one of a very small number of venomous mammals (no joke!), along with shrews, solenodons (big shrews) and, of course, the Platypus. They produce a venom which causes paralysis in Earthworms (so they can store them fresh, for later eating).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    If you have a mole on your face, you should definitely get it checked out by a professional. Otherwise it might claw you up pretty badly.

Also - another venomous mammal is the teeny tiny slow loris.