Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Command

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb367 View Post
    Oh, and btw: naval bombardment of coastal defenses. AWESOME.
    I totally agree. It just feels very smart, the entire thing, you can set the hovercraft to defend a position, taking out every turret and enemy unit that stumbles in, while you move in with the ground team.

Just remember that in order to select multiple units, use the ctrl key, not shift.

Recently, I found out that you can restock on the island youre trying to conquer, just need to find the armory and recharge stations, etc. (they become accessible to your units, if you get rid of the enemy units at the single camps)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Naval bombardment is all fun and games until you witness your carrier pummel round after round into the side of a mountain as your units don't seem smart enough to work out bad line of sight.

There's a lot to like about the game but the execution just ain't quite right yet - hopefully all these kinks will be ironed out as a result of this beta though.

I'm very much looking forward to the campaign. Fun as the beta may be skirmish ain't my thing any more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    The pathfinding is particularly bad, just like pretty much ever BIS game ever. I've watched units fidget around on the map ineffectually driving between two arbitrary points for no apparent reason. It gets particularly bad when two units are somewhere near each other. In the end I have to take manual control to get them out of those positions, but I can't be everywhere at once. I'd like to believe that the pathfinding thing will be sorted out, but the AI still can't drive for shit in any of the ARMA games, so I doubt it will ever be fixed.

Also the deck guns just randomly stop firing for some reason, or there's some condition where they decide not to fire. I was well within range of attacking the enemy carrier (which froze in place doing absolutely nothing) yet none of the guns did anything. Then they randomly started firing.

Needs some serious work but it's looking pretty good. It's at least fun to fly around in a Manta and scout out positions, and the atmosphere of setting up attacks is great when it works. Unfortunately the pathfinding often ruins the effect.

There's a few bugs which make playing more difficult: units sometimes stop taking orders, and at one point the supply barque got stuck a second away from docking, sitting there forever.

Driving the vehicles by hand is pretty damn fun though.

I'm really liking the feel of the beta, though I admit I have no idea what I'm doing.

I spent a good twenty minutes trying to capture an island before realizing that I was actually on a friendly island, and that there were several more islands. I guess I should have looked up a tutorial!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Has anything been said about multiplayer getting scrapped and/or added in after release? I could have sworn the website talked about the multiplayer features when I first started reading about this game and pre-ordered it, but it looks like all that has been taken down. Carrier vs Carrier or Co-Op would be so fantastic here.

Yeah I thought I heard something about co-op at least. I will get it on sale in the future probably, if they add co-op I might be in more of a rush.

How far are they along in the production anyhow? I havent really been keeping up.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Coop would be bad ass, even team VS in a multiplayer campaign, 2 carriers assaulting islands while the players scramble to support.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    How far are they along in the production anyhow? I havent really been keeping up.
    It's available for pre-purchase on Steam right now with a discount. I'm also keeping an eye on this (Well, its in my Wishlist anyway), since I have fond memories of Hostile Waters, and this game seems to improve on HW, by letting you use the carrier in engagements, deploy multiple vehicles, AI that controls said vehicles, etc.

Then again, Im worried about the developer - Arma isnt exactly a wonderful experience with all the clunky shit going on. Carrier Command's gameplay vids seem smooth enough, but Ill have to play for myself to really make a judgement.

Last time I played the beta, the driving AI was abysmal. It exhibited exactly the same problems as the driving AI in the ARMA games - can't stick to a path, can't navigate around obstacles, occasionally drives backwards and forwards/jitters about trying to extricate itself from between 2 trees 50 meters apart... land vehicles couldn't be left alone.

The flying AI was fairly good. Lots of bugs with the carrier though. Haven't played it since but looking forward to the final release!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    The beta seemed pretty close to feature complete last I played of it, just needs a lot of polish. It's been delayed before, but it looks on track for it's September 27th release.

Network Hub
    This sounds like a modern version of Battlezone98 - is it? Because that would be awesome.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangyTang View Post
    This sounds like a modern version of Battlezone98 - is it? Because that would be awesome.
    One might say that. But then, one might also say that it's a modern version of Carrier Command from 1988. :)

Obscure Node
    According to Bohemia's Dev Team, we're getting an updated beta imminently too. They reckon they've fixed an awful lot of the more glaring issues (yes, pathfinding, I'm looking at you)...

Post from Dram about half way down this page:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...refunded/page4

Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    According to Bohemia's Dev Team, we're getting an updated beta imminently too. They reckon they've fixed an awful lot of the more glaring issues (yes, pathfinding, I'm looking at you)...

Post from Dram about half way down this page:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...refunded/page4
    Very good news!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Quote Originally Posted by VFRHawk View Post
    (yes, pathfinding, I'm looking at you)...
    They've been saying that about the ARMA games for years... it never happens! I hope they actually make good on their promise this time.

So this just came out on steam, but its a little pricey for my liking. Anyone have any impressions? Is it worth the 32 quid asking price?

Network Hub
    Haven't played it since beta (wish I could redeem my key on Steam) but it's good fun. Depends on whether your into long strategic games with a lot of micro. Bare in mind their aren't many unit types or in fact units.

Guess I'll wait and see if they release a demo. Thanks for the info.