Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carrier Command

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    The official forums are very optimistic and forgiving despite all the issues,
    Because everyone else gets banned.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    Is that true?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Is that true?
    Much like with any forum, the dissenters who are incapable of saying "I dislike this" without saying something along the lines of "I hope all your mothers get raped and die of cancer" get banned. That, of course, equates to "everyone who doesn't like it gets banned".

That being said, I have never seen a "Oh my god, this game suxxorz" post on the BiS forums, but I have seen a lot of "I have a suggestion. Fix the god damned path finding" posts in the past (Since that has been a problem since OFP). So I would say they are stricter than most, but still not the "everyone else gets banned" forums.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

In short, Carrier Command: GM is really good when it's trying to be Carrier Command. The key issue is that, in campaign mode at least, it keeps trying to be something else. It's not very good at being anything else. At all.

At the moment, I'd recommend holding off on the game until it has a few more patches, ideally some moddablity, and the price is in the $15-20 bracket. Even at its best, it's a very straight remake of an 80s game, and it kinda shows.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    so everyone agrees to "if the pathfinding were good, the game were good"?
    Possibly. The basics seem strong enough for it to be a fairly decent carrier command game, but without the Hostile Waters personality (not that I expected anything different because the game makes it abundantly clear that they're just drones and not downloaded AI personalities). But because the game has always had this crippling pathfinding issue, who knows if it'll be any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Tarason View Post
    At the moment, I'd recommend holding off on the game until it has a few more patches, ideally some moddablity...
    Thing is, being a cross-platform title, I don't know if you're going to see much in the way of modability, not to ARMA standards. As for patches... well, as we've been saying, AI pathing issues with vehicles have been around since OFP, and BIS have never fixed it or really made it any better. Despite seeing it listed in patch notes all the time, I've never noticed them get any better at driving; they always pick ridiculous routes and can't navigate simple obstacles. The Walruses in CC:GM have the exact same problem. Given that they couldn't fix it over the last 11 years or so, I don't think they're going to fix it now.

It's a completely different engine and a different development team - it's just overseen by BIS. If there's pathing issues, they have nothing to do with ARMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Tarason View Post
    It's a completely different engine and a different development team - it's just overseen by BIS. If there's pathing issues, they have nothing to do with ARMA.
    I didn't say that it was the fault of ARMA devs or engine or whatnot - just that the exact same behaviour shows up in both games, and BIS games have a history of it never being fixed. All through the beta, when people noted that the Walrus was basically useless in the hands of the AI, they never managed to make a patch to make them less useless.

That said, BIS did have a hand in developing it - Black Element Software weren't the sole developers with BIS standing there like 3D Realms.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Much like with any forum, the dissenters who are incapable of saying "I dislike this" without saying something along the lines of "I hope all your mothers get raped and die of cancer" get banned.
    I never said that. Please cease your libel.

As I recall I said something like "that proves reviewers really don't play games for more than an hour" in response to a positive review and was banned forever for it.

Banned
    Is it really worth fighting through the shit AI to try and endure the skirmish mode a little or should I just uninstall this claptrap?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I never said that. Please cease your libel.

As I recall I said something like "that proves reviewers really don't play games for more than an hour" in response to a positive review and was banned forever for it.

And then I explained where those feelings generally come from.

So how dare you insult me. Cease YOUR libel!

ha hah ah aha ha! Wow I feel dirty for saying crap like that :p

Is it really worth fighting through the shit AI to try and endure the skirmish mode a little or should I just uninstall this claptrap?
    If you don't like the game, don't play it. Simple as that.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    I really want to enjoy it.

I was a massive Hostile Waters fan.

This has the potential to be such a great game but as it stands... it's poor as it stands now.

Wow I think I'm having some really bad buyers remorse here.

Maybe some mod teams will tear into it.

Maybe I should put my own mod team together, create a Vicious Seas mod.

With me at the helm though it would probably turn into another Black Mesa, been a little bit of a perfectionist and that.

I like the game as it is, and yes, it could be better. Still good 20€ I spent on a game.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Depends. If you were hoping for Hostile Waters because of the personalities, then give up now, because that was never, ever going to be part of CC:GA and you should have known that from the beta.

If you're talking about it mechanically... eh, tough call. The pathfinding issues with the Walrus severely cripples the game to the point where playing it is a massive chore and saps most of the enjoyment. So probably not? It's worth watching to see if they fix the pathing issues but I highly doubt they will.

Oh boy, I was so looking forward to this game after seeing the trailer. And then I got it.
    The first thing I noticed was the mouse. Why do people always seem to want to f##k around with it (and not just while porting)? For f##k sake, it's a mouse, I don't want smoothing/acceleration/negative acceleration or any other bulls##t, I don't want to have to use 3 seperate DPI settings for my desktop, the main menu and in-game, and I sure as hell don't want to spend 30 minutes in the settings figuring out what horizontal and vertical mouse resolution is.
    Could someone please tell me why a mouse can't do the same thing in a game that it does everywhere else (the same movement moves the mouse the same distance in the same time)?
    Then came the FPS part, and holy s##t was it bad. The gun is so big I keep feeling like I'm a kid and the low perspective didn't help, and neither did the maneuverability (try aiming at your feet).
    Then I noticed the pathfinding. It's so bad, I only use 1 Walrus (which I personally control), the rest are permanently docked. The Mantas aren't any better, they just have less obstacles. And of course they have to fly straight up (and almost in) to a cliff before they start gaining altitude.
    The rest of the game I rather enjoyed, so I think that if I only played the game while completely zoomed out (only the islands and the Carrier visible) and conquering islands was done like auto resolve in the Total War series, I'd actually like it.

P.S.
    Sory for my aggressive tone, but I've been awake for nearly 24 hours and am going right to sleep after this.
    Last edited by ShEsHy; 01-10-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Building, fixing and using PCs since 1999. Only PCs. Always PCs.

I actually TOTALLY agree with ShEsHy, semi-ranty tone and all.
    The mouse controls in-game are a bloody nightmare.

Obscure Node
    Does anybody know how to use bomb, tomahawks, hook, etc on Mantras? Tried googling it but no luck.

Banned
    You have to be right over what you want to hook. Your crosshair should change to a hook icon.

Or do you mean in the interface so the AI will do it? If so, no bloody idea.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanLT View Post
    Does anybody know how to use bomb, tomahawks, hook, etc on Mantras? Tried googling it but no luck.
    You have to equip them first and then select your secondary weapons, if you have two installed.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."