Obscure Node

CANVAS: An upcoming Source Engine game site launch.

After months of hard work, we here at Bloom are excited to officially announce the existence of our
    current project CANVAS. To go with this announcement, we have prepared a short press release to
    explain exactly what CANVAS is, and what you can expect to find when we release.

To complement this announcement, we have also launched our official website (http://
    www.canvasgame.com/), on which you can find a slew of information about the mod, as well as
    screenshots, videos and wallpapers.

We have also created a short teaser trailer introducing some of the characters and environments you
    will experience in-game, which can be found below.

PRESS RELEASE

INTRODUCTION

CANVAS is a single-player total conversion modification for Half-Life 2: Episode 2. It hopes to provide a
    unique action/adventure experience based upon the versatile Source engine.

SETTING

In the world of CANVAS, psychics exist, and live openly alongside humans. Their existence has been
    noted throughout history, and while their powers are still feared by non-psychics, their culture has
    pervaded countries across the globe.

Seeking to centralise their cultural heritage, groups of psychics banded together to build enormous
    underground galleries. In these galleries are housed the greatest works of 'psychic' art – paintings that
    allow the viewer to psychically enter the paintings, and experience the artist's intent first-hand. Run by
    an unusual being known as the Curator, the Acanthus gallery is by far the most prestigious of these
    institutions, housing the largest collection of psychic art and literature in the world.

STORYLINE

Milena Desmaris is unhappy in her life. Having been left with her father after her mother passed
    away, she found herself neglected as her father buried himself in his work. Her only true friend and
    companion, Borden, is a teddy bear brought to life with her psychic powers.

However, when Milena's father seemingly goes missing, everything changes. Suddenly, Milena and
    Borden find themselves on an adventure, and while trying to find out what happened to her father, and
    why, they will explore locations and experience things beyond anything they could have imagined.

KEY FEATURES
    Single-Player Campaign – Take Milena and Borden through a unique adventure as they investigate the
    disappearance of Milena's father.
    Psychic Abilities – Utilise Milena's psychic abilities to overcome obstacles, puzzles and enemies.
    Control Borden – Take direct control of Milena's furry companion in order to reach difficult locations,
    and use his own psychic powers.
    Enter Paintings – Leave the real world behind as Milena enters paintings and explores entire new
    worlds.

CANVAS – a Half-Life 2: Episode 2 modification.
    ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/canvas
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canvas/232883643394493
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/canvasmod
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CanvasMod

Last edited by srredfire; 15-06-2011 at 04:17 AM.

I'm intrigued. I don't suppose there's a ballpark on a release date?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    I'm intrigued. I don't suppose there's a ballpark on a release date?
    Not yet, but as soon as there is one, we'll be sure to let you know!

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Aesthetic and music are right on. Color me very excited.
    steam

Quote Originally Posted by srredfire View Post
    Not yet, but as soon as there is one, we'll be sure to let you know!
    Perhaps it would have been better to ask how far into development the mod was. The video is all manner of enticing, but is it proof of concept rather than showcase?

Doesn't make me any less interested, regardless.

Very nice, looks cool.

Well the trailer works. I'm very intrigued.

Looks very good.

(btw, for a moment i thought that "canvas" would be a site dedicated to the Source Engine games :-P)
    ~bs~

Colour me very interested, this looks utterly beautiful.
    Was the teaser trailer in-game footage or CG enhanced/pre-rendered? I didn't know the Source engine could do something like the dissolve effect at the end of the trailer.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaulustiger View Post
    Colour me very interested, this looks utterly beautiful.
    Was the teaser trailer in-game footage or CG enhanced/pre-rendered? I didn't know the Source engine could do something like the dissolve effect at the end of the trailer.
    All the characters and environments are actual in-game assets. The effects especially towards the end with Milena's room are assisted heavily with After Effects. It is more of a proof-of-concept, but there is no reason that we couldn't achieve the same results in-game via cinematic physics if desired!

Bravo, I say.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Not that this game doesn't look spectacular (it certainly does) nor that it's not great to have developers dropping by here (it is, and I've had some really interesting conversations, especially with the Arcen guys). But are company representatives coming along and dumping a press release on the forums something we actually want? Maybe it is, but I'm not sure I'd appreciate logging on to find the top 10 threads being Ubisoft shovelware press releases.

It's a mod.

And yes, I am perfectly happy to have the reps of indie games and mods to come here and tell us about their games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    @Dain
    But then where do you draw the line? Who's allowed to do that and who isn't?

Erm, modders and indie developers can do it? Like I said? (Don't start with a "What is indie?" discussion)

If it gets too much then moderators will step in and add a rule saying "no advertising your game" or add a showcase forum or something. I somehow doubt the forum will be flooded though. There are better place to advertise your mods and games.

But this is a mod. People should be allowed to go "hey, check out this thing I made" on forums.
    Last edited by DainIronfoot; 15-06-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    You've started the "What is indie" discussion by mentioning it as a criteria, though. It's not well defined. Right now we've got no rules against this sort of thing, so anybody can. Hopefully that will remain fine. And as said, I like interaction. Just not so comfortable with "c&p Press Release"

I'm ok with it but then i'm a developer who at some point might want to get some feedback from here so i'm biased :-P.

But i think it is ok as long as the person doing the post wont disappear until the next press release and i don't think being indie or not matters, as long as the person posting acts as a person and not some form of collective :-P. Also i'm not really fond of "dry" press release dumps - the Hey, Developers! link at the top seems to be a better place, which btw worked just fine in the case of Canvas - so i would like a bit of more involvement from whoever makes the post (f.e. if you post a first-person game with a 60 degrees horizontal FOV and i tell you that this is unplayable in my 27" monitor, i expect some sort of reply :-P or if i ask for info about the awesome soundtrack and if it is available for download or as a bonus, again i want some answers).
    ~bs~

Obscure Node
    Don't worry! We'll make sure to keeps you guys updated as much as possible and will gladly answer whatever questions you may have (within reason).

We're not trying to shove our mod down people's throats, and we most certainly know that it's not going to be to everyone's tastes, we wanted to spread awareness of the project as we felt it was the right time to announce our existence.

I personally feel that If the devs post themselves and show a greater level of interaction with their audience, it pays off for both parties.

Just for the record, we currently aren't considered Indie. I spoke with the project lead earlier today and of course, we have thought about it, due to the amazing response we've received so far. But not yet. We want to be much further into the development. So, not on the cards currently :)