Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    His name should always be written as BRIAN BLESSED. (They do it at TV Tropes as well!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    There are shave points, or checkpoints, in the form of very occasional bonfires. But you can't really have quicksaves in a game like this.

You die, and you leave a bloodstain, which contains all your souls (in game currency, and used to level up), you then get one shot to reach said bloodstain, die again, (and you will) you lose it ALL.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Allowing players to return to older saves in any way would defeat the purpose of Dark Souls. I think there's a nice sense of urgency in the fact that you can't just stop playing (or, indeed, pause) any time you want.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I think there's a nice sense of urgency in the fact that you can't just stop playing (or, indeed, pause) any time you want.
    Wait... what? You can't pause? You can't stop playing and save any time? The last one is OK, as long as it just goes back to the last checkpoint when you start up again. But no pausing? That will have to change. It might be part of the game... but pissing, answering my door/phone, rolling smokes, and making cups of tea are more important to me than the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Wait... what? You can't pause? You can't stop playing and save any time? The last one is OK, as long as it just goes back to the last checkpoint when you start up again. But no pausing? That will have to change. It might be part of the game... but pissing, answering my door/phone, rolling smokes, and making cups of tea are more important to me than the game.
    You can quit at any time, and you'll be exactly where you were when you boot the game up again.

Network Hub
    And you don't always have the threat of other players or wandering enemies that will kill you, so you can find a safe spot and stay there if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I wonder if there is going to be quicksave or just checkpoints.
    quicksaves would ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    quicksaves would ruin it.
    They could still include them, for those who might want to use them, surely. If you didn't want to use them, you wouldn't have to.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

If there were quicksaves in Dark Souls everyone would eventually break down and use them. But if the developers wanted to add a "Easy Mode" that included quicksaves I guess that would be ok. It would take away some of the prestige of getting to say that you've beaten Dark Souls though. :/

I think quicksaves would be okay if they were destructable, load a save and the file is deleted.

They could still include them, for those who might want to use them, surely. If you didn't want to use them, you wouldn't have to.
    They should give players who want to ruin the game a way to do that?

I dunno, would you be in favour of giving players a weapon that kills everything in one hit, and letting them decide whether or not they want to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    They should give players who want to ruin the game a way to do that?

I dunno, would you be in favour of giving players a weapon that kills everything in one hit, and letting them decide whether or not they want to use it?
    Sure... why not. I wouldn't use it myself, just like I probably wouldn't use quick saves, or save scumming in a RL. But it being there wouldn't hurt my enjoyment of the game.

You might see it as 'ruining' the game, and it'd be your choice not to use it. But others may not view it that way, and may choose to use it.

Network Hub
    I could see the value in a destructible style of quicksave for when you absolutely have to leave the game, perhaps disabling it during PvP or co-op. Any other implementation would probably kill the roguelike-esque risk factor that I feel is a big contributor to the atmosphere of these games.

Well quitting and restarting is absolutely equivalent to a destructible quicksave, if you ignore loading times.

Sure... why not. I wouldn't use it myself, just like I probably wouldn't use quick saves, or save scumming in a RL. But it being there wouldn't hurt my enjoyment of the game.

You might see it as 'ruining' the game, and it'd be your choice not to use it. But others may not view it that way, and may choose to use it.
    At that point you're're basically saying "We don't really know what kind of game we wanted to make, but would you like to play this one? Or perhaps this one? Who knows which is better! Certainly not us."

Quote Originally Posted by JackShandy View Post
    At that point you're're basically saying "We don't really know what kind of game we wanted to make, but would you like to play this one? Or perhaps this one? Who knows which is better! Certainly not us."
    Shock! Maybe the players themselves know which game is best for them?

Shock! Maybe the players themselves know which game is best for them?
    Obviously not. You have seen what happens when you get a bunch of fans in a room and ask "What kind of thing should we be making", right?

Including an optional mode (like TW2 Insane Mode, but the other way around... i.e. with quicksaves or more flexible saving), will not ruin the game for those that don't want to use it.

Also... Players != Fans.

Like I said when you made the same argument in your other post, it compromises the creative vision of the game. Old parable; if you try to please everyone, you'll end up pleasing no-one. Trying to be all games for all people just gives you generic slosh.

Also... Players != Fans.
    Sorry, the distinction you're making there escapes me. There'll always be people who play a game but don't enjoy it, sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    You could have option in settings to set quicksaves on/off.