Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just in case I get in - any ideas what classes/roles would still be needed?
    Forum janitor in training.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I don't know if I am shortlisted but if so I just wanted to know how munchkin friendly this gathering is.

If I went ranger/cleric half elf with full plate,a tower shield, a morning Star and a sling would anyone call bullshit?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    I was thinking of getting groupchat together on monday and/or thursday evening to determine classes etc.

I doubt we need powergaming builds but I'd say it's up to your discretion. Just don't pick anything that's so overpowered that it could solo IWD2 and ruins the others' fun.

Well, it's 3rd edition D&D which doesn't do initial multiclassing anymore. Basically, you start out with one class and once you level up you can choose whatever other class you qualify for, up to a maximum of three. So you can become a thief/cleric/tax lawyer if you like. It also depends on your race since races have preferred classes and restrict you in your choice and some classes also have some exceptions.
    However, IWD2 does not do prestige classes which would usually do the job of fusing classes together and just about all classes get important special abilities in later levels so that means that in nine out of ten cases, multi-classing is a bad idea, except to grab free feats.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I don't know if I am shortlisted but if so I just wanted to know how munchkin friendly this gathering is.

If I went ranger/cleric half elf with full plate,a tower shield, a morning Star and a sling would anyone call bullshit?
    Nope, and it's good to know. I never played it, but I am feeling like reediting my TOEE semi-orc priest full str + focus on lances. 10 feet opportunity attack? NO PROBLEM BRAH!

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Nope, and it's good to know. I never played it, but I am feeling like reediting my TOEE semi-orc priest full str + focus on lances. 10 feet opportunity attack? NO PROBLEM BRAH!
    I don't know if Icewind Dale 2 even handles opportunity attacks and melee weapon range, which were quite overpowered in ToEE (especially with Cleave thrown in for good measure).

Clerics are extremely powerful though, like in most D&D computer games.

Multi-classing is also a must, because some classes (like rogues, rangers and fighters) can give some good feats pretty quick and become more interesting to play once multi-classed with something else. Playing straight up fighter or rogue can be quite boring in Infinity Engine games.

I think we can manage good multi-classing builds without going full on min-max crazy, because the ruleset does allow some crazy stuff (like deep gnome tanks that can only be hit on natural 20s and can cast mirror image).

If I end up playing with you guys, I'll probably try for a Bard or a Druid/Fighter.
    Last edited by Choca; 04-05-2012 at 01:47 AM.

But is it 3 or AD&D? I know my way around 3, but I just learned how to THAC0, not even know how to minmax it.

EDIT: I would be grateful if someone could share his copy, I can give proof of purchase of 2008s Forgotten Realms Special Edition box with BG 1-2, ID 1-2 and NWN 1.
    Last edited by pakoito; 04-05-2012 at 02:01 AM.

But is it 3 or AD&D? I know my way around 3, but I just learned how to THAC0, not even know how to minmax it
    Icewind Dale 2 uses a modified version of the Third Edition D&D Ruleset, you won't need to know anything about THAC0 :)

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Just in case I get in - any ideas what classes/roles would still be needed?
    Honestly, Icewind Dale 2 can be finished with pretty much any and every kind of classes in your team. To be safe, we'd need at least one tank and one healer but aside from that, I think the best way to go is to play whatever you want.
    Last edited by Choca; 04-05-2012 at 03:03 AM.

So, the list on the first page is up-to-date I assume? And is this going to be IWD1 or 2? From the last posts I got a strong #2-vibe (hehe) but I couldn't find a definite statement on that in this thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    So, the list on the first page is up-to-date I assume? And is this going to be IWD1 or 2? From the last posts I got a strong #2-vibe (hehe) but I couldn't find a definite statement on that in this thread.
    Yes, IWD2.

So far I got pinged by 3 other people in Steam; Anthile, Kelron and squirrel plus Helios, Choca and pakoito still showing interesting in this thread. With me that's already a full party and we could consider sharing characters between people if we hit 6+ players.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'll be a cleric happily, not worried about getting kills, and eventually ill be able raise our killed companions which will hopefully make the game more chilled out. Splattered by a trap? Not a problem.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I'll be a cleric happily, not worried about getting kills, and eventually ill be able raise our killed companions which will hopefully make the game more chilled out. Splattered by a trap? Not a problem.
    Oh you'll get plenty of kills as a cleric, especially once you get the awesome undead summon spell.

Icewind Dale 2 also has some pretty cool cleric only weapons IIRC.

Choose your domain wisely because you can get some cool free feats and/or spells depending on the divinity you choose :o

A Cleric of Lathander will make a great healer whereas a Battleguard of Tempus will make a great melee fighter thanks to free Martial Weapon and Weapon Focus for Axes.

I've ordered a new microphone to join you guys on mumble, I stepped on my old mic the other day...
    Last edited by Choca; 04-05-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Personally I love to play half-elves but there's no doubt it's the absolute worst race in IWD2. Even if you're not out to minmax the game to hell and back, it's hard to not look at the Aasimar if you wish to roll a cleric. The regular human is also a good choice.
    The important thing about the cleric in IWD2 is that you can choose from none less than nine different deities, all of which grant you various bonus feats and you also receive bonus spells that tie in to the theme of your god. This way you can even get your hands on wizard or druid spells. For example, Tempus clerics get free axe proficiency and axe weapon focus feats for nothing whereas Talos clerics get minor lightning resistance, an exlcusive once-a-day ability and so many wizard spells that they become horrible cleric/wizard abominations in plate armor. If that sounds horribly imbalanced to you, that's because it is.
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Personally I love to play half-elves but there's no doubt it's the absolute worst race in IWD2. Even if you're not out to minmax the game to hell and back, it's hard to not look at the Aasimar if you wish to roll a cleric. The regular human is also a good choice.
    Well the half-elves do have the same multiclass benefit as the humans, which is the very best choice in Icewind Dale 2, no contest. You can't beat an extra feat, extra starting skill points, extra skill points every level and automatic favourite class.

But who wants to play a boring human ? :p
    Last edited by Choca; 04-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.

I forgot it's Forgotten Realms and not vanilla. I want Pelor (heal+strengh) and polearm focus, what should I pick?

I forgot it's Forgotten Realms and not vanilla. I want Pelor (heal+strengh) and polearm focus, what should I pick?
    No Pelor in Icewind Dale 2, only Talos, Mask, Bane, Tempus, Oghma, Helm, Lathander, Selune and Ilmater.

Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    No Pelor in Icewind Dale 2, only Talos, Mask, Bane, Tempus, Oghma, Helm, Lathander, Selune and Ilmater.
    And who's the more Pelor-like?

Lathander is pretty much the FR version of Pelor. If you order now you receive:

Lathander the Morninglord is the god of dawn and renewal. His priests, who share his title, can be found around the world helping communities grow and rebuild after times of trouble. Morninglords are known for their kindness and optimism.

Alignments: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, True Neutral

Advantages:
    Improved Turning Feat (free).
    Lathander's Renewal 1/day (cures 2x cleric level in hit points).
    Domain spells:
    1st: Sunscorch, Faerie Fire.
    2nd: Restoration, Bull's Strength.
    3rd: Agannazar's Scorcher, Negative Energy Protection.
    4th: Shield of Lathander, Holy Smite.
    5th: Flame Strike, Raise Dead.
    6th: Heal, Fire Storm.
    7th: Greater Restoration, Sunbeam.
    8th: Aura of Vitality, Resurrection.
    9th: Meteor Swarm, Mass Heal.

Also, this handy steak knife +1 if you order within the next five minutes!

With this happening, who's going to be sharing the tales of epic deeds? I'm sure there are others besides myself looking forward to reading the adventure of RPS RP-ers in IWD.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Then... hm... I could go with a Wizard. Or something tanky.