Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Activated Node
    A half-orc monk- maybe multi to cleric later on. Would that be viable?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I have experimented, I am going with Human Fi1/PrX. Not sure about polearms though, they are not as powerful as in ToEE and they apparently cannot be used 1 handed.

Recap:

Human Fi1 (TN)
    Str 18 Dex 10 Con 16 Int 8 Wi 16 Cha 10
    Concentration 2 Arcane Knowledge 1
    Focus (Axes/Polearms), Power Strike, Cleave

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I don't think we need to fuss too much over specific classes and stats, as long as we make sure the core roles are filled. You all seem quite familiar with the game, I'm sure everyone can be trusted not to make useless characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I don't think we need to fuss too much over specific classes and stats, as long as we make sure the core roles are filled. You all seem quite familiar with the game, I'm sure everyone can be trusted not to make useless characters.
    Quick everyone chose rouges and max out our int. and str. or play as orc anything and put all your points into chr.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Anyone know if using a crack will stop multiplayer working? I have serious issues with my DVD drive.

IWD/II as far as I can remember doesn't need a CD key as far as I know then again I'm using my copy from my D&D collection I assume it doesn't effect MP in anyway if the game starts properly
    Last edited by The Doge; 08-05-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: left out answer

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    I have experimented, I am going with Human Fi1/PrX. Not sure about polearms though, they are not as powerful as in ToEE and they apparently cannot be used 1 handed.

Recap:

Human Fi1 (TN)
    Yeah there are no 1-handed polearms in Icewind Dale 2 but they still benefit from added range (which means that you can attack ennemies through your summon or team mates). If you're looking for a good 1-handed weapon for a cleric then you might want to check out the Tempus domain, which gives you two Axe feats (including one that regular clerics can't get).

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Looks like we're a bit short on fighters, but maybe Monk + Cleric could handle that ok. I'd prefer playing Rogue or Wizard.
    We seem to have plenty of Clerics, they'll probably handle most of the melee and will end up being stronger than fighters anyway. We'll also have summons to handle some of the melee.

My bard will be able to lend a (tiny) hand in melee too once the buffs and song are up but if we really need more meat in melee I could just roll a fighter/cleric. We'll see.
    Last edited by Choca; 08-05-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Recap:

Human Fi1 (TN)
    Just a heads-up: Cleave doesn't seem to be all that useful in IWD2, I only saw it pop up infrequently in the status window (at the bottom of the screen) during my plays.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Just a heads-up: Cleave doesn't seem to be all that useful in IWD2, I only saw it pop up infrequently in the status window (at the bottom of the screen) during my plays.
    Cleave isn't bad with a long range weapon like a Polearm or hard hitting 2 handers, Improved Cleave (ie. putting two points in Cleave) is not that useful though.

Might be a good idea to select a weapon type before we start making characters so we don't have to fight over loot. Icewind Dale 2 has plenty of weapons for everybody but if we're all using the same type then we'll have a hard time getting upgrades.
    Last edited by Choca; 08-05-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choca View Post
    Might be a good idea to select a weapon type before we start making characters so we don't have to fight over loot. Icewind Dale 2 has plenty of weapons for everybody but if we're all using the same type then we'll have a hard time getting upgrades.
    Usually I would say the classical choice for casters is the sling. But since both Kelron and me would like to play a mage (wiz/sorc) I was thinking about using crossbows.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Usually I would say the classical choice for casters is the sling. But since both Kelron and me would like to play a mage (wiz/sorc) I was thinking about using crossbows.

If any of you plan to roll an elf, remember that they get the bow feat for free (and large sword too but that's not really useful for a pure caster).

My bard will probably go weapon finesse with short swords/daggers

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    A fighter/wizard can use a few levels of fighter (for the bow feats, rapid shot etc) to become a great damage dealer/sniper.

And we should def. agree on weapon types and/or armor beforehand.
    I've rolled my characters the other day and am now heavily in favour of either a monk 3/druid x or barb1/druid x but would also take the rogue/illusionist if necessary.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 08-05-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    take the rogue/illusionist if necessary.
    I don't remember traps and locks to be that frequent in Icewind Dale 2 so I'm not sure we'll need a rogue.

Plus if we have a wizard in the team, he'll probably get enough skill points with high INT to get the search and disable skills high enough to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    A fighter/wizard can use a few levels of fighter (for the bow feats, rapid shot etc) to become a great damage dealer/sniper.
    To be honest, I'd rather take the Wizard levels to get access to higher spell levels sooner. Sooner or later you won't be hitting many enemies as a Wizard using a bow anyways.

Feats:

Aegis of Rime/Aqua Mortis/Scion of Storms/Spirit of Flame: A substantial damage bonus and a permanent resistance increase. Amazing feats but you probably won't take all of them, even if it may seem tempting.

Ambidexterity/Two-Weapon Fighting: Dual wielding is pretty good but you need both of these feats to make it work. Rangers get them for free so it might be better to just take a level of ranger instead.

Arterial Strike: Pretty weak and it just doesn't do enough to be worth a feat.

Blind-Fight: It's just too situational.

Bullheaded: Not too bad but only if you intend to invest skills in intimidation. Humans and dwarves only.

Cleave: Basically, if you kill an enemy you get a free attack against another nearby enemy. Pretty good feat. The second rank allows you to do this indefinitely as long as you dish out killing blows. It's amusing to do this in a horde of goblins but it's just waaay too situational to ever invest more than one point in this.

Combat Casting: I have mixed feelings about this feat. On the one hand it gives a great boost to concentration checks but on the other hand you really shouldn't be attacked while casting in the first place. It's certainly not wasted but it really depends on how close to the frontlines you wish to be.

Courteous Magocracy: Solid feat, especially for sorcerers who engage in social skills.

Crippling Strike: Rubbish.

Deflect Arrows: Not bad but monks get this for free at the second level and it's inferior to dodge, which has the same requirements.

Dirty Fighting: Amazing feat. Grab it if you can. Even more effective when combined with the improved critical feat.

Discipline: Very good choice for all caster types.

Dodge: You can never have enough AC. Borders on mandatory.

Envenom Weapon: Very good feat. Works best against bosses. Unfortunately only available once a day.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency- Bastard Sword: Well, bastard swords have the best default stats of any weapons in the game but since you have to invest a feat just to wield one, this is strongly implied to be meant for the fighter who drowns in feats.

Expertise: So good, it borders on mandatory. You can give yourself a to-hit penalty ranging from 1-5 and receive a respective AC bonus - even if you're a wizard and never intend to smack somebody with your staff. The requirements are a bit steep, however.

Extra x: Pretty much wasted except for extra smiting and that is only good if you have a high enough charisma.

Fiendslayer: Just too situational. Paladins only anyways.

Forester: The most useless feat in the game.

Great Fortitude: Good feat, especially for caster types who suffer from low fortitude.

Hamstring: A very tactical feat. It requires a rather specific party constellation to make this feat work.

Heretic's Bane: Decent feat for all divine spellcasters who engage in melee combat.

Heroic Inspiration: Really only pays off if you intend to take a lot of hits so it's only useful for dedicated tanks. Restricted to bards, paladins and barbarians. Having a large amount of hit points boost this feat significantly.

Improved Critical: All melee types will be taking this, sooner or later.

Improved Evasion: Amazing feat and pretty much the only reason to ever get those ten rogue levels but even then it might not be the best trade.

Improved Initiative: I never figured out what exactly this feat does and I read that it might be bugged and not work at all.

Improved Turning: Hard to tell if it's worth a feat since it's rather difficult to get exact data on the nature of your enemies. Probably not.

Iron Will: Always worth it and best put to use for characters with low WIS.

Lightning Reflexes: Same as Iron Will but for folks with low DEX.

Lingering Song: Mandatory for bards.

Luck of Heroes: Probably the single best feat in the game, save for some high level ones, maybe. Humans only. Lightfoot halflings start with an equivalent that gives the same bonus.

Maximized Attacks: This feat is absolutely devastating but it requires TWO weapon specializations so it's most likely out of reach for non-fighters. Human clerics of Tempus might consider this one, maybe.

Mercantile Background: Just not worth a feat.

Power Attack: More damage at the cost of accuracy. Always worth a look for melee types.

Precise Shot: Reduces the range combat penalty against close range targets. Dubious feat because if anyone ever gets so close to you, you probably have bigger problems anyways and this feat does nothing to prevent such situations in the first place.

Rapid Shot: Kinda like power attack for ranged characters, except faster instead of harder but the effect is pretty much the same.

Resist Poison: Rubbish.

Slippery Mind: Good feat but also requires ten levels of rogue.

Snake Blood: The better resist poison. Still not amazing. Restricted to humans and only available at level 1.

Spell Focus x: Yes. This makes your spells much harder to avoid which translates to more damage and more effects. These feats are what transcends your wizard or sorcerer from demigod to harbinger of the apocalypse. Somewhat less mandatory for clerics or druids (though it very much depends on the build).

Spell Penetration: Magic resistant foes are amongst the most powerful in the game so one rank in this feat is good to have but can wait for some time.

Strong Back: Nothing a bag of holding cannot solve.

Subvocal Casting: Too situational to be really useful.

Toughness: Not enough bang for your buck. Skip.

Weapon Finesse: Great feat BUT it only works for daggers and short swords, you can't wear a shield without suffering a penalty and it only uses your DEX for to-hit, not for damage.

Wild Shape x: Rubbish.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Feats: Bullheaded: Not too bad but only if you intend to invest skills in intimidation. Humans and dwarves only.
    Can also be taken by Aasimars and Tieflings, if I remember correctly. It's not in the description, but it's possible.
    Last edited by Squiz; 08-05-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Improved Initiative: I never figured out what exactly this feat does and I read that it might be bugged and not work at all.
    All turns in the engine last the same time, and each character has a priority on them. If you have the highest priority you will attack first.

An in-engine turn takes 2.5 seconds (not sure). When you engage in a combat the turn system starts to click. The lower you attack time is the sooner you will attack in those 2.5 seconds. It is not useful for attacking more often, but to assure you will get always the first blow in a combat.

Example with numbers pulled out of my ass:
    Rogue Dex 18. +4 initiative. Would attack in second 0.33 of the clock.
    Goblix, Dex 12. +1 initiative. Would attach in 1.00 of the clock.
    Priest, Dex 6. -2 initiative. Attacks in 2.00 in the clock.

Maybe the priest can kill the goblin in two blows. If his initiative is lower than the goblin's he will get attacked twice before attacking twice himself. If it was higher he would get attacked only once.
    Last edited by pakoito; 08-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.

I hope you will post the results of your run. I no longer have a gaming group and my old group is distributed pretty widely geographically. If this works well, maybe there's a possibility that we could play together again. I like this idea a lot more than MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by carbon_dragon View Post
    I hope you will post the results of your run. I no longer have a gaming group and my old group is distributed pretty widely geographically. If this works well, maybe there's a possibility that we could play together again. I like this idea a lot more than MMOs.
    I think there are still some slots left for a second group if you would like to join in.

Edit: Character has been generated.

"The Magnificient Zor" (alternatively "Squirrelfanatic" if we'd like to be able to easily identify characters)
    Human Sorcerer
    Str 9, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Concentration & Spellcraft 3 each
    Spell Focus Evocation x2

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he makes up for it through dedication.

Editedit: Are there any spells we want to exclude/ban? I've only got to pick a few spells every level so I don't want to regret my choices lateron because I can't use some of them.
    Last edited by Squiz; 08-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.

I've made 2 chars one is "Mina Winterfoot" half elf Ranger
    Str.12 Dex.18 Con.10, Int. 12, Wis. 14, Chr. 10
    Wilderness lore, Search, Animal empathy all at 4
    Dodge

"Malikhai Blackmoor" Human Fighter
    str.18, Dex. 12, Con. 16, Int. 10, Wis. 10, Chr. 10
    Search 2, wilderness lore 1
    Great Fortitude, Great swords 2, Power attack