Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Diablo 3 discussion (for those who think they will be playing)

Ok before we start let's get this out of the way. I have no desire to start any flaming or arguments. I disagree with some of the new features and always online etc., but please don't post if that's all you have to contribute and you're not going to play anyway!

With that said, I'm still really excited for May 15th. I have the CE pre-ordered and am really looking forward to going through the artbook, documentary and soundtrack along with the game. Some might disagree but this is one CE that seems like it will be worth the high price.

I'm going to limit some of the features I'm going to allow myself to use so I don't spoil my D2 nostalgia and style of playing. No RMAH, no sharing of loot between characters (for the first few levels anyways) and one of every character besides three barbarians. I know I don't need to have three barbs because of the way skills work now, but I think I'll make one dual-wield, one shield and one two-hander just for fun. Otherwise witch doctor looks like a lot of fun, not entirely convinced by Demon Hunter yet but I didn't play much Amazon in D2 anyways.

There's a comprehensive comparison of the systems in D2 and D3 here:
    https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3811455085.
    It's written by a 'hardcore' player apparently and is well worth a read. I only played some nightmare mode of D2 and only played single player so I'm probably not in the 'hardcore' crowd even though I loved the game and played it a lot.

So, anyone else excited, know what characters they are gonna play etc.?

Network Hub
    Oh, well I won't be, so I guess I won't post in here.

But then I guess I did. Right here.

Network Hub
    I'll be playing, but without any sort of discussion about it! It will be a game of casualfest for me. I cannot wait to open the box, install it and find my own way through the lovely wonders of Diablo once again. It's been long since DII:LoD and long since I played casual as fuck without any min/max and theory crafting.

Come at me Diablo III !

Quote Originally Posted by Gozuu View Post
    I'll be playing, but without any sort of discussion about it! It will be a game of casualfest for me. I cannot wait to open the box, install it and find my own way through the lovely wonders of Diablo once again. It's been long since DII:LoD and long since I played casual as fuck without any min/max and theory crafting.

Come at me Diablo III !
    Lol, damn everyone wants to post, but nobody wants to stay and talk :(

What you described is pretty much how I played D2 and had a blast. Necro was my favourite character but when I say that online I get all sorts of questions about fishymancers, lagomancers and all sorts of other stuff I don't have a clue about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Thanks for the link, Skeletor. D3 looks like being as complex a game as its predecessor ever was while removing lots of the unintuitive and obscure mechanics.

Things I am excited about: a skill system that encourages iterative experimentation.

Monsters that die in a satisfying way when clicked on, and lots of dramatic ways to click on the monsters- a high degree of polish.

Great heaps of interesting loot-based choices.

I'm going to flit between playing all the classes, as my fancy takes me, just to try out whatever build I feel like. I am increasingly liking the look of the mobility options available to the Demon Hunter, so perhaps I'll do that first. It is very likely I'll play with others, and I have no intention of using the RMAH. The gold-based one should do fine by me, since I will likely not see the sort of team-focused upper difficulty level content that might require a top tier build.

lol at the guy saying "it's just gonna be casual play for me". How can one even play Diablo casually? I mean crack addicts fear this game because it's so addictive.

Anyway, yes I'll be there on the 15th of May, clicking away happily like every other Diablo slave out there. Looking forward to see how the game plays with all the changes from D2; everything I hear so far makes it sound much improved overall, and much more variety friendly. Diablo 2 got kinda silly with so many people playing the exact same build...
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I too am looking forward to it. I'm confident the basic game will be solid, but the repeatability and the dynamics of hardcore mode is a big unknown. I rarely pre-order games and also have a small insecurity about the big picture past the brief beta content. It's Blizzard though, so if anyone has earned my benefit of the doubt, it's them.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

I've ordered the CE, I have my reservations about some of the stuff the OP mentioned, but I have such good memories of D2 from my school years (sat in IT looking up Andariels loot table) that it felt wrong not to. Would be awesome to get some RPS groups together for some dungeoneering.
    Last edited by duff; 11-04-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I've ordered the CE, I have my reservations about some of the stuff the OP mentioned, but I have such good memories of D2 from my school years (sat in IT looking up Andariels loot table) that it felt wrong not to. Would be awesome to get some RPS groups together for some dungeoneering.
    I would like to finally dip my toes into playing online with nice people! If anyone is looking to play casually (as in aren't just focused on farming etc.) and are looking to just have a bit of craic I'm hoping to have a new ISP by the time this comes out!

Yay!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-beta-opens-up

Get the client from here.

You can find links to german/french win/mac versions here.
    Last edited by lhzr; 18-04-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Banned
    > Bunch of accounts with 80-ish posts that signed up all at the same time post pro-Diablo 3 stuff.

HOW VERY ODD.

Quote Originally Posted by lhzr View Post
    Yay!

Is this real life?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    > Bunch of accounts with 80-ish posts that signed up all at the same time post pro-Diablo 3 stuff.

HOW VERY ODD.
    Hope you're not including me, I was here before the forum change-over!

Will Blizzard be censoring character names now that it is always online? I know it's juvenile but I was hoping to continue the illustrious career of my barbarian from D2 'C*ntsmasher'.

I think my favourite Necro was Skeletor and my Druid was (cheesily) Seamus

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by lhzr View Post
    Yay!

I wouldn't get too excited just yet, people on Neogaf who have this downloaded already have been having problems logging in, getting timeout errors, etc. However Team Liquid are claiming that it's now open, so I suppose there's nothing to lose by downloading it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

HOW VERY ODD.
    Humph. I've been reading and posting on RPS since almost the beginning. Be less grumpy.

I'm really on the fence about this. I hear a lot of good things about it but I never really actually played any of the diablos. I played a bit of torchlight and some Titan Quest and found it to be ok.

I'm intrigued by Diablo 3 but then I wonder if I should just plpay one of the other Diablos first.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    Is this real life?
    Is this just fantasy?

(Anyway, got to the main menu, at least. Pretty cool. Nicely 2D except for two crows and some flames in the background)

Bunch of accounts with 80-ish posts that signed up all at the same time post pro-Diablo 3 stuff.
    "The same time" being when the forums were reset, or something, no?
    Last edited by pkt-zer0; 18-04-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar

HOW VERY ODD.
    It must be a giant conspiracy because Diablo 3 is definitely not a highly anticipated game in a much beloved series, created by an immensely popular PC developer.

Nope. Definitely a bunch of shills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    It must be a giant conspiracy because Diablo 3 is definitely not a highly anticipated game in a much beloved series, created by an immensely popular PC developer.Nope. Definitely a bunch of shills.
    I've noticed RPS lives in some sort of bubble where wildly irregular opinions are considered norm. Don't get me wrong, that's sometimes fine, as popularity=!quality but sometimes things get out of hand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    I've noticed RPS lives in some sort of bubble where wildly irregular opinions are considered norm. Don't get me wrong, that's sometimes fine, as popularity=!quality but sometimes things get out of hand.
    Haha, true enough.