Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Except Niko had the wrong accent, of course.

Yeah but after some time it doesn't even bothers you,also when they spoke in serbian/bosnian..it sounded so damn funny because it was like aliens trying to speak korean xD

Network Hub
    I hope they keep the driving, loved how they changed it in GTA 4.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    The GTA 4 DLC had mid-mission check-points, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post

It did :o !?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    So what if Roman is a dumb shit? Like GTA4 is the 1st piece of media to stick the protagonist with a fuck-up sidekick. And the truth is that the relationship between Roman and Niko works, no matter how annoying he may be to you.

What you're asking for is folly. You cannot have a one tone piece, not if it's a film, not if it's a book and not if it's a game. Imagine if everything was super serious in GTA. We'd end up with humorless and pretentious crap. Twilight does that, it's all super serious and brooding ALL THE FUCKING TIME, and it's utter shit because of it.

No good piece of writing rides just one tonal wave. Look at Goodfellas for an example, it's crime epic that balances excessive violence and crude juvenile humor just like GTA tries to, and to great effect. I agree that GTA4 is not Goodfellas quality, but believe it or not it's the next best thing in the videogame world.
    You're not reading properly. GTA's differences are like night and day. It's like they were writing the script, went "We've gone 5 minutes without making a dick joke, quick throw one in!" and deliberately went out of their way to do so. I never said that you can't inject humour into a serious game (actually I specifically did say that you could do that), but you can't toss two extremes into one story and claim it works exceptionally well. Not when Rockstar/the fanboys like to play up how "mature" it is.

Althea's example illustrates the point: if there's no context for the childishness, it doesn't work. It isn't cohesive. That's what happened IMO in GTA IV - they went out of their way to put it in without it being really appropriate. Roman isn't so much a "fuck up sidekick" as a ridiculous night and day change with overused one-liners. Roman is great when his character sticks with the story, but when the "BIG AMERICAN TEE TEES" lines start coming out, it falls apart.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frightlever View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Althea's example illustrates the point: if there's no context for the childishness, it doesn't work. It isn't cohesive. That's what happened IMO in GTA IV - they went out of their way to put it in without it being really appropriate. Roman isn't so much a "fuck up sidekick" as a ridiculous night and day change with overused one-liners. Roman is great when his character sticks with the story, but when the "BIG AMERICAN TEE TEES" lines start coming out, it falls apart.
    To put it in context:
    Bulletstorm works as it is. It's full of dick jokes, rape allusions and so on. That is what it is, and as a product it works. If you take those lines out and put them into, say, Halo or Call of Duty, it doesn't work. Why? Because they lose their context, and as such they lose their humour and go from humorously tasteless into... something I don't have words for.

Roman's character works best during story missions involving his failings, but when Rockstar try to emulate that elsewhere - such as the phone calls - it goes from compelling to irritating. They make Roman outstay his welcome very quickly, and that's why people hate him. You're supposed to be on Roman's side to some degree. You're supposed to want him to wake up and stop getting himself into trouble, but that never happens. You end up wanting him dead just to stop him ringing you every five minutes and shouting "COUSIN!" in your ear.

Best Roman moment for me was when I "accidentally" pushed him down some stairs.
    Last edited by Althea; 11-04-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    BIG. AMERICAN. TEE TEEEEEEEEES.
    You're not listening, man! That line is so profound. It's a beautiful statement summing up foreigner nativity. There's an underlying childlike vulnerability there which makes Roman one of the most human characters in the whole game, and one I can easily identify with. Hooray for Teetees!
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 11-04-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Also the streotypes that game had didnt really help you cant really do a mature character storyline when every single character is some kind of stereotype so you dont believe in them.

Well, what do you expect? GTA games are full of stereotypes over the years

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    nativity
    I think the word you're looking for is naivete.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Also the streotypes that game had didnt really help you cant really do a mature character storyline when every single character is some kind of stereotype so you dont believe in them.
    I think you can actually, so long as the stereotypes aren't entirely for comedic effect. But since Rockstar apparently only know one form of humour (bare-bones sledgehammer parody) it doesn't work so well.

Which is why I liked RDR more (even though I didn't get to finish it): it still had humour but by stripping out the jarring swap between serious tone and "TEETEES LOL" it made for a much more consistent experience.