Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Network Hub
    This thread makes me want to punch people in the soul.

Rrrrrrise, thread, and obey. While watching some Guild Wars 2 PvP videos, I stumbled across this. Somehow someone managed to make a shooter montage out of an MMO game. I think this is genuine, could be wrong though.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I feel better now.
    Why, he still talks like a complete halfwit, you racist :p

The noise that passes for music in these videos is going to give me an aneurysm.
    Last edited by Finicky; 18-11-2012 at 03:22 AM.

This thread is amazing. And horrible. Here's my contribution:

Network Hub
    To be honest, I don't even understand what the big deal about being good at games is anyway. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but.. yeah. I play games (not right now or for seven months because of stupid graphics cards), I like them, I am an advocate for them as a medium that can be incredible given time. But.. so long as there isn't really a pro thing going on - which I know is vaguely arguable but I'd still come down on the side of 'there isn't' - at least nothing worthwhile compared to the population playing them.. I don't see why being good matters. I'm not terrible at FPSs when I bother, but I don't get why many people, particularly kids, see being on COD for 500+ hours is something to brag about. Who honestly gives someone more respect because they are good at it? It's similar to people who take Sunday League bargain basement football playing seriously. I mean, come on. You're not playing for a contract - and in truth, no-one gives someone any more respect outside of that sphere at all for being good at something so utterly trivial. It's like showing off because you're a faster reader than someone else. I guess it's always nice to be good at something, but if it isn't tied into anything, I'd argue that a life balance equates more importance and general respect than being awesome at MW3. Even being ok (but not good compared to anyone actually good) at the guitar or whatever - that seems, at least to me, to have more cachet than this because a) it's more socially respected across different demographics (not gaming's fault but still) b) it has a genuinely social component often c) it ties into long standing traditions across cultures d) it's fundamentally pleasing to others as well as yourself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRed View Post
    It's like showing off because you're a faster reader than someone else.
    I red your post in 30 seconds flat. MAD READING SKILLZ!

Plus I put a pun in my reply, how'd you like them apples!

Network Hub
    I am lesser. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRed View Post
    To be honest, I don't even understand what the big deal about being good at games is anyway. Maybe it's because I'm getting old, but.. yeah. I play games (not right now or for seven months because of stupid graphics cards), I like them, I am an advocate for them as a medium that can be incredible given time. But.. so long as there isn't really a pro thing going on - which I know is vaguely arguable but I'd still come down on the side of 'there isn't' - at least nothing worthwhile compared to the population playing them.. I don't see why being good matters. I'm not terrible at FPSs when I bother, but I don't get why many people, particularly kids, see being on COD for 500+ hours is something to brag about. Who honestly gives someone more respect because they are good at it? It's similar to people who take Sunday League bargain basement football playing seriously. I mean, come on. You're not playing for a contract - and in truth, no-one gives someone any more respect outside of that sphere at all for being good at something so utterly trivial. It's like showing off because you're a faster reader than someone else. I guess it's always nice to be good at something, but if it isn't tied into anything, I'd argue that a life balance equates more importance and general respect than being awesome at MW3. Even being ok (but not good compared to anyone actually good) at the guitar or whatever - that seems, at least to me, to have more cachet than this because a) it's more socially respected across different demographics (not gaming's fault but still) b) it has a genuinely social component often c) it ties into long standing traditions across cultures d) it's fundamentally pleasing to others as well as yourself.
    The montages get pretty silly (and are often liable to give observers migraines due to eyestrain), in particular the subset of them that use bad dub-step. Hence the thread being entertaining and awesome. Saying no one should respect skill within the gaming community or deriding people who care about games in a way tangential to your own enjoyment of games, however, seems rather arbitrary and unreasonable. I know a few people who play games in leagues (and who play sports in minor, recreational and otherwise small/localized leagues), lead well balanced lives (i.e. have healthy and diverse social circles, are obtaining higher education and/or pursuing a life-long career, have hobbies outside of gaming, and so forth). I certainly know plenty of people who play in clans, care about games, never see a penny for it, still take pride in their gaming ability (or that of their clan) and have perfectly healthy lives otherwise.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are unhealthy about it, but suggesting that it's pointless simply because a large number of people don't care and because it's not going to advance your social and economic status in the world at large? Really?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

TheRed
    I have to disagree, being good at a game is an enjoyment. Climbing a few notches on a leader board can be a big accomplishment. To use your example most sportsmen don't become good just to get a contract they become good to become better. Climbing leaderboads, representing your team/town just showing off to that girl from your class it doesn't need to have anything to do with promotion.

If you're going to quantify time with "meaningfulness" then most of our lives are basically a nil sum. I mean for a start we flat out waste eight hours a day sleeping. Then there's the time I waste leaning against a wall to do my shoe laces, or the time I spend talking to people who won't give me a promotion, dinner or sex. All a waste of time.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Just stumbled onto this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I know! How can I shoot people in the back with a shotgun from 5 feet away moments after they spawn!? It's the end of a skill curve I don't think I can ever surmount.
    Don't forget iron sights, no scope, bhop, er... Other stuff.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

#presidentialnoscope
    #0wnb4m4
    #dr0n3k1llstr34k
    xXxS0U420blayzeXxX

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post

#presidentialnoscope
    #0wnb4m4
    #dr0n3k1llstr34k
    xXxS0U420blayzeXxX
    Heeheeheehee.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

To be clear, that is an official US Government video.

Quote Originally Posted by lasikbear View Post
    To be clear, that is an official US Government video.
    That's why it's so funny. It isn't crazy enough to be funny otherwise.

Official advertisement takes a stab at a vaguely dub-step-y trailer for Farm Simulator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBD3EauAuQ

We come full circle. Or something? I don't know.

It's a pretty slick tune. :)