Obscure Node

Has anyone ever gotten DDR to work on their PC?

I just downloaded the open source program StepMania, but am having some technical trouble getting my ps1 ddr pad to input. I'm using a ps1-to-usb connector thingy, which gets recognized in control panel, but won't input. I'm running 64-bit Vista, if that makes a difference.

As long as the button presses on your pad are showing up in Control Panel, you should be able to get them to work in StepMania. You may need to use your keyboard to go into the options and map the controls for your pad.

I can confirm that everything *should* work. I have successfully set up pads multiple times (albeit with a rather custom setup on XP). One thing to look out for is that you cannot have 'axis mapping' turned on. If axis mapping is on, then you cannot push left and right, or up and down, at the same time - thus jumps become rather hard! Many of the USB adapters have ways to turn off axis mapping by holding start and select for a period of time (say five seconds). I would also recommend looking at the Stepmania FAQ. They even have a list of what usb converters are good and what ones will give you trouble. As raddevon says, the first step is to check the gamepad configuration in control panel to confirm your commands are being acknowledged.