Hybrid View

Gaming on Macs: Yes We Can (?)

Is there maybe someone that consistently games on his iMac - as is to say often in a Bootcamp partition?

I'm an Apple user for general computing, but I like gaming A LOT.
    I don't have that much time but I'm really an enthusiast of videogames as a medium and tend to buy and try them whenever I can.

I was considering to build a new gaming PC and hook it to my 23'' LG 120 Hz monitor but still can't pull the trigger: that machine would be used only for gaming and I already have 360, PS3... and Wii. /ashamed
    So I'm thinking of selling that monitor and buying a new 27'' iMac with ATi 6970 2 gb, using it as main machine (now I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro) and gaming on it on a Bootcamp partition with my (more or less) trusty W7 64 bit.

I understand 6970 mobile is more or less equivalent to a desktop 460, but obviously the native resolution of the iMac makes it nearly mandative to play in 1080p... any experiences and opinions?
    Is it very blurry at that resolution?
    How's the gpu faring?

Thanks a lot for your valued help in my decision making! ;-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ezahn View Post
    I'm really an enthusiast of videogames as a medium and tend to buy and try them whenever I can.
    Interesting. Well, there's Ghost Master, of course. I think that was released on both PC and Mac. And there's hidden object games like Shades of Death, Reincarnations: Uncover the Past,... Well, lots of hidden object games with a ghosty/spirity theme.

Quote Originally Posted by amandachen View Post
    Well, lots of hidden object games with a ghosty/spirity theme.
    Yeah, you got me, I'm not a native english speaker.
    Still, isn't "medium" - as in singular for "mass media" - a legitimate latin word in english as well? ^_^

Yeah, you got me, I'm not a native english speaker.
    Still, isn't "medium" - as in singular for "mass media" - a legitimate latin word in english as well? ^_^
    What you said is completely fine grammar, I'd say amandachen was making a bit of a stretch to find a pun there.

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    What you said is completely fine grammar, I'd say amandachen was making a bit of a stretch to find a pun there.
    Pheeeew, that's a relief. Tnx! ;-)

Yeah, that should be acceptable, if not great. These days "acceptable" is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago, too...
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    I understand 6970 mobile is more or less equivalent to a desktop 460, but obviously the native resolution of the iMac makes it nearly mandative to play in 1080p... any experiences and opinions?
    How's the gpu faring?
    As someone with a Bootcamped '10 MBP, gaming on a Mac using W7 is seamless.

There were a few things I thought could be an issue, like using modded laptopvideo2go nvidia drivers in W7, but everything worked beautifully.

There is one area where all Macs with the exception of the Mac Pro fall short: upgradeability. If you are content with knowing that you will eventually have to upgrade your whole system in 2-3 years to keep up then you should have no problems.

How's the gpu faring?
    I've discovered that ATI cards do not come with built-in smooth scaling.
    That means anything below native resolution will be a jaggy mess. It was quite a big deal for someone with a 30" monitor whose native reolution is 2560x1600.

There is no way to go around this issue, here's a thread I started about it:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1509360
    Last edited by mashakos; 15-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    I've discovered that ATI cards do not come with built-in smooth scaling.
    That means anything below native resolution will be a jaggy mess. It was quite a big deal for someone with a 30" monitor whose native reolution is 2560x1600.

There is no way to go around this issue
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1509360
    Now that stinks, thanks for sharing, cause I suppose I should play many games not at native res but on 1080p...
    Ezahn
    ---
    "Simplify, simplify" (H.D. Thoreau)

As Mac enthusiast and PC gamer, I have to admit that Mac gaming is still a rather frustrating experience. You can either dual-boot with Bootcamp, or stick to the rather limited selection of Mac games out there.

Assuming you do all your "real" stuff on Mac OS, bootcamp will deprive you of everything you've stored/configured/installed while you're booted into Windows to play. No access to your bookmarks, files, emails, store passwords, etc. Yes there are workarounds for all of that, but they require some hacking and most are somewhat kludgy.

On the other hand, if you want to game under Mac OS, you're limited to the few Mac games on steam, whatever has been ported (Gametree is useful there), and a good number of indie games.
    On the Mac, I've played some smaller stuff: the odd Minecraft session, a bit of WoW and EVE while I was traveling and Dragon Age Origins while I had to spend two weeks in a boring town. The Spiderweb software stuff (Avadon, etc.) can be fun too. There's also lots of emulation software like Boxer, SNES9X and so on if you want to replay some childhood classics. But most mainstream games never make it to the Mac - the few that do get released 6-12 months after the Windows version and then come at full price or more.

After tiring of the compromises, in the recent years I've been keeping a small (in size, not power) desktop PC under my desk and my MacBook Pro on my desk. The PC runs games, the Mac everything else (and a few games too). They share the same screen via a KVM switch and since the Mac is a laptop, I can still use the builtin screen+keyboard to read my emails, read RPS during boring cutscenes or look up quest information without having to alt-tab out of the game - something I've gotten so used to I really missed it when I left my Mac at the office for a weekend.

I also have a Wii and a PS3, but they're rarely switched on, even if there is an absolute "must play, console exclusive" out there. I'm not even sure why, but the whole gamepad/TV/couch setting just isn't my kind of gaming.
    --

I love my iMac but it has this little issue that makes me use my PC all the time: it doesn't play the games i want to play. Which is a shame because i like Mac OS X.
    ~bs~

Yeah, I feel the pain. I'm strongly considering of following Ezhar path (similar nick as well! ^^) building a proper gaming pc and having both the pc and my Macbook Pro connected to the same monitor, one via dvi the other via hdmi...
    Ezahn
    ---
    "Simplify, simplify" (H.D. Thoreau)