Obscure Node

PCGamingWiki Kickstarter

PCGamingWiki, the site dedicated to providing fixes for every PC game out there, is now doing a Kickstarter.
    If the campaign gets the money it needs then the funds will go towards getting people running the site full time so that both the quality and quantity of the content can be improved, as-well as going towards the costs of running the site.
    There aren't any real exclusive rewards per-say (apart from a bit of advertising on the site if that's your kind of thing), though of course the real reward is having this great resource finally become a reality.
    So donate. Do it.

Network Hub
    Sixty grand. What the fuck.

You want sixty grand to make a Wiki. Sixty thousand dollars so you can sit on your arse and get paid for the thing that you were sitting on your arse doing anyway...

I really don't know what to say. Oh wait, yes I do: sixty grand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    So... you want people to give $60k for something that people can already get for free, to continue a wiki that people contribute to for free, which would end up having to be funded by donations anyway to cover continual server hosting costs.

And you posted this in the Tech Help section.

Sure, I'll help. Right after I finish playing Episode 3. I hear the final boss is Duke Nukem.

Hi this is the admin of PCGamingWiki. I made this little infographic to better explain what the project is about - it's not for hosting costs, but for content creation which will 'fix' one of the biggest problems with PC gaming: http://i.imgur.com/1OGtj.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Yeah, don't be jerks guys. The kickstarter page does explain what the money is for. Not something I want to donate to, but best of luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Yeah, don't be jerks guys. The kickstarter page does explain what the money is for. Not something I want to donate to, but best of luck with it.
    I don't see why we can't criticise something like this. I can't see why such a project needs a Kickstarter, it should have been a donation drive or attracting advertisers.

Activated Node
    I think this is a great idea but I also don't believe that Kickstarter is the correct way to go about this. Kickstarters are generally to raise an amount of cash neccesary to get a project off the ground whereas the startup costs of a website are extremely low, it is the long term running and sustainability that normally pose the biggest problems. This is probably why you are seeing hostility towards the idea of a KickStarter.

Another piece of constructive adice is that the idea of a wiki about everything to do with PC games is massive in scope. I would like to see a set of guidelines and rules in place from the beginning to ensure that the website is correctly structured and planned. This would greatly improve my confidence in the project becoming a useful long term resource.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't think it's a bad idea or that there's anything wrong with it as such. 60K to employ a single professional full-time writer and researcher for a year to gather all that information together.

Although there's no way I'm voluntarily doing that work now if they're paying someone else to do it so keeping it as a wiki is kinda silly. Plus in a couple of years, the info will all be out of date again as we're fighting with Windows 9 and such.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    I don't think it's a bad idea or that there's anything wrong with it as such. 60K to employ a single professional full-time writer and researcher for a year to gather all that information together.

Although there's no way I'm voluntarily doing that work now if they're paying someone else to do it so keeping it as a wiki is kinda silly. Plus in a couple of years, the info will all be out of date again as we're fighting with Windows 9 and such.
    The point of the funding, is to kickstart the site to become the central place for fixes so that it becomes more popular and self-sustaining. Funding doesn't preclude anyone adding your own or editing the pages. For example Wikia and Curse have teams of paid wiki editors, but it can still be a good place to add your own content.

Keeping the resource as a wiki allows pages to be fixed in the future - for new versions of Windows or for other new editions of games.

Um, I don't think you can buy popularity just like that. Okay sorry that was silly, of course you can, but it wouldn't last.

If the wiki isn't popular enough it might be because it isn't useful enough, or because people don't want to use it. If I have an issue that I can't fix or trace, 98% of the time I find the answer in a forum post, which pops up on the first page of Google. So tell me why I'd want to use the wiki, let alone contribute to a Kickstarter?

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    If I have an issue that I can't fix or trace, 98% of the time I find the answer in a forum post, which pops up on the first page of Google. So tell me why I'd want to use the wiki, let alone contribute to a Kickstarter?
    A centralised resource as opposed to random google searching? I know which I'd rather. Plus, the more people go there looking for fixes, the more people will go there posting fixes, and posting ever rarer, specific fixes. One-off forum posts couldn't match its depth if it became known.

The kickstarter just seems like impatience to me though. "We could either wait a few years for it to take off, or pay someone 60k right now". Ok, well so let's wait a few years no?

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    A centralised resource as opposed to random google searching? I know which I'd rather. Plus, the more people go there looking for fixes, the more people will go there posting fixes, and posting ever rarer, specific fixes. One-off forum posts couldn't match its depth if it became known.

The kickstarter just seems like impatience to me though. "We could either wait a few years for it to take off, or pay someone 60k right now". Ok, well so let's wait a few years no?
    The Kickstarter is more about gauging how important people think the problem is right now. If it's important to you, and you have spare funds, then chip in. If you're more patient and happier to wait - come and contribute any fixes you know on PCGamingWiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    Thing is though forums are up to date, and searching for information isn't that much of a burden these days. You'd be searching for it anyway on PCGamingWiki. And to be honest, once my problem is fixed, I'm not going to go off and post about it on a wiki.

If it takes off, great. But I don't think it will, even with $60,000.

As someone who contributed to the wiki, I'm not interested in putting any money into the kickstarter fund as well. Just my two cents on the matter.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(_)

( _)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)