Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Hi all, and thanks for the introduction PW.

I'm genuinely curious to see Roll20 in action, as I'm thinking of doing the online DM thing and it looks really solid.

I'm happy to abide by whatever ground rules you lay down regarding written/verbal communications, and won't be offended in the least if you decline.
    Last edited by Screwie; 16-11-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You'll probably see what it can do better if you watch one of the weeks x_kot gms.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    that's a little harsh, what about that time that Lowkey did a custom map and added a layer of atmospheric smoke? That was pretty awesome (the fact that it turned out to be a bit annoying and fiddly doesn't detract from its essential awesomeness). We also have the ability to say "you can add theme music" using words, if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Allow me to formally register my ambivalence:

Well... hmmm...
    *shrug*
    Are you really ambivalent, or only quite ambivalent?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    You'll probably see what it can do better if you watch one of the weeks x_kot gms.
    Cheeky bastard! Can we swap scewie for gorm? In general he's right though i mainly use it for putting up maps and dice rolls (and now making gorms avatar a willy) but youre welcome to come along pal

Also it turns out to be an excellent tool for making a collaborative photofit of Kitler, Egg's evil cat nemesis.

Network Hub
    No objections here to a pre-approved lurker, so long as he does not mind my grating accent (and in the game).

As to Roll20 GMing, this clip sums it up pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOgS8gTATv8.
    (I'm Martin, Lowkey is Homer, and Gorm is Grimes. PW can be Lenny and/or Carl.)

I like Lowkey's racing stripes and fins approach. Plus you get to play a game called "try to remember what all the different rooms were, before Lowkey took the map down and tippexed all the names out" which is always fun.

they make things go faster (especially when red), also gorm has angered the GM, all shall feel my wrath (french kittens), also also the maps! why make handouts with stuff like 'super secret passage' on it!

Network Hub
    Do not ask for whom the cat "miaou," it "miaou" for thee.

french-cat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Are you really ambivalent, or only quite ambivalent?
    It's hard to say.

Upgrades done after the session:
    • Attacks: 1 -> 2
    • Ballistic Skill: 54 -> 59
    • Toughness: 49 -> 54
    • Quick Draw (Draw a a weapon as a free action)
    • Sharpshooter (Aimed shot gives +20% BS)
    • Sure Shot (Ranged attacks ignore 1 point of armour)
    • Strike Mighty Blow (Melee attacks do +1 damage)

THE MUNCHKIN DWARF RISES
    Last edited by egg651; 18-11-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    Unacosamedarisa: Egg, kiss me, you're beautiful.

New Canon:

The boat is being repaired, and Magnus is going to help Dumpling and the Ogre run it.
    Dumpling's good with a crossbow and the ogre will do what she says since she keeps the tasty food coming, Magnus can do the talking and we can assume they've hired a couple of sailors who can at least tie knots. Any pirates dumb enough to try anything will run into the tiny lady's crossbow bolts, the ogre's general ogre-ness, and Magnus's surprising mastery of pointy stick technology.
    Also Magnus knows our contacts in the Entirely Legitimate Businessman's Association, and we'll leave a message for Gorm's old friend Captain Awesomebeard asking him to give them some help and advice if he runs into them. They've a reasonable chance of being OK, and it'll be a quieter life than the one they were living before.

Maybe we'll encounter them some day, when we're back from Middenheim and points North.

(you didn't have to burn the boat, you know. We'd have got off at Altdorf anyway since there was no other way to chase down the last of the Wittgensteins and make them exinct. You could still have showed us that post, afterwards. Sigh.)
    Last edited by President Weasel; 19-11-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Post boatmatic stress disorder, in all honestly it was a bit silly really, its designed so for partys who are like 'your going to kislev' 'nah think we'll sail to marienburg' which you guys are not like, my thinking was it would be a bit traumatic and be a reminder that its a cruel old world but i think it ended up a bit petty and anti climatic.

TEW is pretty railroady which is good for me as i am not the greatest of GMs but i can appreciate it can be frustrating, middenheim should be more fun as i wil just let you have the run of it.
    Last edited by LowKey; 19-11-2012 at 08:57 AM.

You're just a big boat-burning meanie.
    However, as long as you confirm that the Adventures of Dumpling and the Ogre (feat. Magnus) are canon I am perfectly happy for the boat to be mildly singed and temporarily sunk. (Although I am saddened to lose the stuffed crocodile).
    Last edited by President Weasel; 19-11-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Another way to get us to Middenheim (as if 'the Last of the Wittgensteins is up to something fishy there that needs a stop putting to it, also Psycho Slater the cold-eyed-death-stare-having witch hunter wants you to go there and you really don't want to annoy him' wasn't reason enough) would have been to have had someone ambush us and kill Magnus, and either escape (leaving clues that pointed to Middenheim) or get killed by us (leaving clues that suggested he'd been hired by someone in Middenheim).

That gives us an excellent incentive to travel to Middenheim, plus we'd pop into Altdorf on the way and get told to investigate the Wittgenstein shenanigans while we were there.
    It also gets Magnus out of the game - and if you staged it in Altdorf, you could even have Slater assign the doctor to try to save Magnus from the poison and then tag along with us to help investigate.

Please don't interpret this as criticism, it's just a thought (the earlier parts where I called you a vicious boat-murderin' son of a bitch are criticism).

That was fun last night chaps! It was like catching the RP bug all over again, as now I want to do more.

Thanks for having me.

It was a pleasure. You were very quiet; I think most of us had forgotten you were there by the end. I'm glad it was a useful experience for you.
    I think I mentioned this in the steam chat, but to expand a bit:

Obsidian Portal is nice to have, but very definitely a bonus. Lowkey's verbal descriptions do fine to establish the characters and towns; if a town map or river map or whatever is needed you can post a link to a wiki or even drop it into Roll20 as a map.

Roll20 is a necessity (imo at least); if you're relying on the honour system and people rolling their own dice, there's no way of knowing everyone's playing by the same honour system. Also, you get to jeer at Harlander's inept dice rolls.

Mumble is better than Roll20 for voice chat, and there's an RPS server which never seems to hit capacity even when ARMA and WFRPS are going on together; if you're worried about using someone else's server with mates who aren't part of RPS just talk to Nullkigan about it - I'm pretty sure it's rented for months ahead, but you could paypal him a fiver if it makes you feel better.
    I chucked him some cash yonks ago and now feel no shame about using the server whenever.

Dropbox was a necessity for us, as we didn't all have copies of the rules. This would be fine in an actually-round-the-table tabletop setting, as you could share one copy of the rulebook and handouts - with dropbox, you can ensure everyone has a pdf, and also share character sheets.

I don't know if you're interested in playing Shadowrun, but there's an excellent little app called "Chummer" which helps a lot with character stuff - the rules are legendarily overcomplicated, and Chummer makes a big difference to my quality of life while playing.
    With WFRP, a pdf character sheet seems to work fine, although you can also save character sheets on Obsidian Portal (and I think Roll20 lets you do something similar too?)

Some of our regular Sunday crew were already friends, but a couple of us had never met (and indeed still haven't); Roll20 and Mumble seem to have made that irrelevant.

Speaking of regular Sundays - it's not always possible for us all to make WFRP night, and you'll probably find the same with your group. For those nights, Xkot Gms shorter adventures in Shadowrun so we don't need all the people and we're not hamstrung by losing the GM. I'd suggest doing something like that for your group too.

best of luck - I hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

Yeah sorry for being quiet - I felt that since I didn't have an active part in the adventure I would only be a distraction.

I love character builder tools, ever since DnD 4th's offline builder. Never played Shadowrun but I will give Chummer a look out of curiosity.

Screwie, if you do start running a campaign, I would love to be involved. Tired of running tabletop RPG's in general, and would prefer to be playing them :p
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com