Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    the best game out there,., you can have pretty entertaining characters especially the protagonist

I got the sure shot talent, so now my bullets all ignore one point of armour. BLUNDERBUSS IS BEST BUSS.

Edit:
    Next going for rapid reload so I can reload pistols in one turn (and blunderbusses in two), and then sharpshooter so I get +20 for an aimed shot rather than +10. After that it's all about getting another attack and quick draw so I can swap out weapons for free. Pistolier is awesome.
    Last edited by egg651; 11-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    You can't be finished your current career so soon, can you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Also dwarfs riding horses would look silly, any hoo

From the darkest recesses of your mind comes, AAR – operation slaughter child like goblinoids.

-----------------------------------

Marktag, 26th Pflugzeit (honestly the worst named month)

After a pleasant six day journey, coincidently enough time for the party to recover their wounds and ills, our adventurers have arrived in Grissenwald, a smallish trading town situated on the divide between the River Reik and Grissen. They are on the trail of cultists most foul Etelka Herzen and Ernst Heidlemann, having picked up a lead in their Altdorf townhouse.

The party find the town more quiet than expected and decide to split up to cover more ground [and because they hate their GM], with the majority heading to a couple of inns and Ludo [President Weasel] scouting around the town.

Magnus [X_Kot], winning round some destitute farmers with a round of drinks, finds out that some of the local farms have been attacked and destroyed and that they blame the attacks on a local clan of dwarfs who have taken up residence in a shanty outside of town, unfortunately it seems the town mayor has been reluctant to intervene and the watch is too few to protect the farms. Gottfried [Harlander] hears a similar, if more eloquent, tale from some drunken merchants in a more upmarket establishment and discovers the location of a merchant of similar description to Etelka.

Across town Ludo of course has gotten himself into a fight with three drunken dwarfs, nearly killing one and forcing his companions to flee before being arrested for breaching the peace. Fortunately for the Halfling Christoph [Gorm] has some legal knowledge and manages to get him out any serious penalties.

The party decide to head towards the most recently attacked farm to search it for evidence. The Egg [Egg] finds it hard to believe that dwarfs could be behind the attack and pays a visit to their (well constructed) shanty to talk to their leader. Gorim Greathammer informs him of his clans misfortunes and blames it on the Etelka look alike, claiming she tricked him out of a perfectly valuable mine.

Arriving at the burnt out farm the adventurers find little, beyond a rusty sword and the evidence of a number of small booted feet. Ludo and Christoph put their tracking skills to the test and follow the trail for some time before the party hear the sound of marching further ahead. Ludo and Magnus scout ahead while the rest of the party hide, and a group of goblinoid looking creatures appears.

The adventures spring an ambush, with the Egg putting his blunderbuss to good use, wounding several of the creatures and sending half their number fleeing. The rest are quickly cut down bar one which is capture [surprisingly by a bolas that didn’t kill it]. The creature is questioned and reveals itself as a Gnobler and minion of ‘Trom Hugegut’. It seems they have taken up residence in ‘the blonde hu-man house’, which the party can see in the distance and appears to be the same manor described as the residence of Etelka.

Backertag, 27th Pflugzeit

The party head to the house of Grissenwalds Mayor, Kaspar Hoeflinger, to discuss what they have found, the watch following and keeping an eye on the Gnobler. The mayor is relieved to hear that the dwarfs are not behind the attacks but is distressed as he reveals his daughter has gone missing, he thought her kidnapped by the dwarfs but now fears for her life.

The party catch a few hours sleep and then set of, convincing Gorim to accompany them with his miners to drive out the greenskins and under the dead gaze of the poor captured Gnobler, who has been strung up on the town gate. Arriving at the manor the silence is broken by a Khazalid war cry and the dwarfs charge past the house towards the mine and soon the sound of screeching and weapon clangs could be heard.

The party enter the manor with some caution before Ludo shouts out for Etelka to reveal herself. Instead several Gnoblers fill the central hall with one dressed in a woman’s dress and clutching a staff. It screeches at them to leave and when they do not it shouts out a jumble of words and casts… nothing at them. Shrugging it calls out for Trom and the battle begins. Our adventurers dominate the fight, precision bolts finding Trom behind its armour, gnoblers getting blown apart by firearms and Chrisoph acting the hero by cutting Trom’s gut wide open (a horrific death for an ogre). As the blood and dust settles the party prepare to search for clues and take anything not bolted down.

-----------------------------------

So fun times, the party thought things out and used the resources available to them. The combat didn’t end up being too difficult, it didn’t help that I forgot Trom got three attacks a turn but ho hum, Egg’s dwarf was slower than him though which was humorous, also while the bolas worked once as intended it killed another Gnobler later on, stupid OP bolas.

NEXT WEEK hopefully hundreds of ogres are not piling out of the mine as we speak.

They only do damage 1, Lowkey. Stupid OP dice rolls more than half the time we throw a bolas, more like.

And I didn't get myself into a fight with those dwarfs: they got themselves in a fight with me, with their shoulderbarging and their rudeness, and their inability to see I had them outnumbered 1 to 3. They were lucky I didn't cut them down as they fled, the cheeky buggers.
    They totally started it.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    And I didn't get myself into a fight with those dwarfs: they got themselves in a fight with me
    Whatever you say, Rorschach.

Ludo does seem a bit Rorschach, now you come to mention it, and a bit Belkar Bitterleaf too.

Tonight, same bat place same bat time

Fun times for our intrepid adventurers last night, although a genuinely saddening moment when we took the rescued girl back to the town, and it turned out that she was the cousin, and the one we were sent after was dead. The "turn in the quest" triumph turned to ashes in my mouth, and I mumbled an apology and slunk away.

Apart from that:
    Defeated the baddies and got the mine back for the dwarfs (yay!)
    Looted the mansion and found a decent haul of treasure (woo!)
    Found a lead and set off in pursuit of Etelka Badlady again (yay!)
    TIGER. SKIN. CLOAK. (Yay woo woo yay woo!)
    Defeated a tiny vampire (yay woo!)
    Accidentally shot and killed a watchman while fighting said tiny vampire (erm...)

We need the full story on Tiny Vampires.

I've always wondered at the lack of non-human undead in fantasy games... :(

"oh noes - a horde of Halfling Zombies, lets just finish what we're doing then briskly walk away from them..."
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

The mechanic we are using for "shooting into melee" makes no sense.
    Roll to hit, with a minus for shooting into melee - fine.
    Roll to hit again if you miss, to see if you hit anyone else - doesn't make much sense to me - the better you are at shooting, the more likely you are to hit someone by mistake?

I'd prefer to see a straight percentage roll or even a roll BS again and if you miss you've missed the "aim to hit the target or at least not hit your friends" you were trying to achieve.

I agree with my esteemed compatriot's analysis. The weird thing is, I've seen this "if you miss when shooting into melée, roll again, and if you roll a success, you hit an ally" used elsewhere too. Making it "you hit a buddy if you miss the second roll" makes more sense, or just hitting allies if you roll 100 or whatever. (If it's just a miss, in trying to avoid hitting your team, you avoided hitting anything of consequence)

I see what you mean, i think the point is if your firing into a melee, which is a back and forth of opponents, and shooting specifically at a target then miss, there is a good chance you could hit the guy next to him, but your right in that it could just fly over head or something, i guess a better way of doing it would be to roll after missing with a small chance of hitting someone else and then that chance increases when more people are in the melee, i am happy to use a different mechanic for it but i think there should be some risk in firing into melee

Ooh how about the amount you miss by is what you need to beat not to hit someone? So say you have bs 65 and you roll a 70, its a miss, you then roll again and need to beat 35 othewise you hit someone else, that someone else can be decided by an equivlent die roll (so 1d4 if four people are fighting) this would mean the better bs you have the less chance you have of hitting someone else even of you miss

I agree there should be a risk in firing into a melee, over and above the difficulty penalty, and I'll go with whatever you come up with - I'd prefer one that didn't make me more likely to kill my friends the higher my BS skill goes. A random chance of hitting each other character in the melee seems to make sense (1-10 I hit NPC 1, 11-20 I hit NPC 2, 21-30 I hit Harlander, 31-40 I hit X-kot, 41+ the bolt goes sailing straight through the melee, something like that)

I think you were posting that second suggestion as I was typing the above - sounds fine to me, whether you mean the difference between my roll and the BS, or whether you mean the differencebetween 100 and the BS.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 16-07-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Oh but i so love you shooting your friends, also i realise i just explained the normal rules for passing a test but in reverse, gah its been a long day
    Last edited by LowKey; 16-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.

OK, so here's my thoughts on a system for firing into melee. If you fail your first test, the second test is against whatever you rolled minus your ballistic skill. This works in favour of rolls that only just fail, since those kinds of shots can be assumed to have only just missed their target. It also reduces the chance of hitting friendlies the higher your ballistic skill is. Here's an example:

Ballistic Skill: 60
    Roll to hit: 85

In this case, the attacker would then need to roll below 75 (100 - (85 - 60)) to avoid hitting friendlies.

Are we doing this thing today?
    (incidentally, I will be away next weekend)

I'll be there if you will! I too will be away next week, I hearby give you all permission to take a day off

I'm off next week (29th, I think?) and then back the week after.

Changing the subject -

I think we need a code word for "Suddenly open fire!" and I suggest "show them the secret documents", as in "where's the Stone, quick quick!" - "ah yes, the stone. I think we need to show them the documents - Egg, show them the secret documents"
    (and then Egg can shoot them with his blunderbuss and we can leap into action).

This should solve the dilemma of having our slowest player also be the one we'd like to act first in ambushes.

Also, I think if anyone in the group ever shouts "PLAN B!" that should also be the signal for open fire.