Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    I enjoyed being super nonchalant about the ugly doctor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I loved that too. There's a description of a guy in one of the Dirk Gently books, who was hired by (minor spoiler) the god Odin because when he opened the back of the truck and found it was full of mysterious glowing light he'd simply say "oh, some mysterious glowing light" and get on with his job.

I really liked how I was all "cut his finger off! Muahahah! AAAIIIE HIS FACE IS ALL HORRIBLE" and you were "oh, his face is a bit wierd" and got on with the job. Phlegmatic, that's you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Yeah the cannibals weren't really meant to be a threat (although there is always a chance) but yeah that makes sense we will do that, I was also thinking to mitigate high armour/toughness slog fests, how about you can take an aimed shot at difficult less armoured areas (eyes, joints etc) and you only get the appropriate armour for that (so mail under the arm pit for example), still makes it hard but means you get a chance to stab someone through the eye slits

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stabbing someone in the eye sounds good, but with too much difficulty only PW is going to be able to hit people. Most of my stats are under 50.

Network Hub
    "Go for the eyes, Dumpling!"

Regarding the blunderbuss, I'm fine with toning it down, although I don't think that is what the rules specify. The Shrapnel weapon quality description says that all targets within range who fail dodge are hit; the weapon description in the Old World Armory says four balls as a guide for tracking ammunition use (as per every other firearm). So, every time Egg opens fire on an unwashed mass, he ticks off four ammunition from his supplies, even though it is assumed that he's filling his barrels with random bits and bobs.

(Actually, I prefer how Shadowrun handles this w/ fleschette ammunition: more damage and spread, but less effective against armor. I would suggest something similiar, where you elect to use either buck or slug ammo, and the choices have different advantages.)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oh Oh, i just realised i can take any two common knowledge skills. Good fluff if i take Common Knowledge (Dwarfs) and Common Knowledge (Halflings)?

To represent the time we've spent on the boat, chatting about our roots? I like it, although it's up to you if you want to take something exotic like Kislev.

Changing the subject, I think I have an awesome murderous plan. It even involves murder holes! There is no way that a plan involving murder holes can be bad.

The main objective is to kill a bunch of well-armoured guards, without giving them anything that even looks like a fair fight. I propose we use cunning, trickery, guile, sniping, insults, and fire.
    Here is my plan: we barricade all the doors leading off the hallway into the doctor's house. We stash barrels of flammable stuff (lamp oil? tallow? pine tar? as long as it pours and burns) above the hall and cut pouring holes in the floor.
    Then we make a hole from the upper floor through one of the rooms into the cellar - so we can go from upper floor to cellar to escape tunnel, but anyone trying to get there from the ground floor or to get up the stairs will have a very difficult job, because barricades.

We get the idiot doctor to send a letter to the countess saying "I have disturbing news, I beg you come at once". When she turns up with a detachment of guards, we pop open the windows and fire ranged weapons at her (also insults).
    The guards smash down the door and charge in to get us, and find themselves stacked up in a narrow hallway with the doors nailed shut and barricaded and the stairway full of junk.
    Then we pour flammables on their heads, make with the fire and the burning, down the rope ladder and escape.

With any luck we can kill the countess - unless she is a magus or demon or crazy mutant monster or very cunningly disguised bog troll, and we can definitely take out a bunch of the guards- we can always have a backup plan of resistance members nearby ready to swarm her if she is left guardless and wounded.
    At the very least though, it's way of killing a bunch of (definitely working for evil, and quite possibly mutant) guards without ever letting them get toe-to-toe with us.

Harlander may have noticed that this plan involves burning something down, but I swear that in this instance that's only because it also contains one of Ludo's other favourite things: straight up murderin' fools without giving them an even chance.

I am willing to listen to other plans that don't involve murder holes, but - murder holes. It's a hard plan to beat.

If you ever gain an insanity i am giving you fire bug syndrom

I don't ever burn things just to watch them burn. (Apart from that one time I wanted to burn that tower for no reason that makes sense to me looking back - I think I was annoyed with it?). I generally have good tactical reasons for burning things.
    Firebug would be a horrible insanity to have* - although possibly I could "self medicate" by finding lots of good reasons to burn things, and get my arson fix for the cause of good. As a witch hunter, I'd be able to satisfy my bonfire needs quite easily.

The way I play Ludo, he just likes killing people and hates backing down. I figure he realised early in life that he was a bit murderous to fit in to halfling society, so he got a job bounty hunting because that's basically legalised murdering. Sadly, the vast majority of the people in the Empire hate and fear bounty hunters (it's the whole 'legalised murderin' thing); when Ludo met the party he realised that there was a way to be murderous and simultaneously to have a bunch of people like and/or respect you - HEROING. It's all a matter of murdering the right people - plus he has 4 other guys to handle the situations where murdering is potentially not the ideal solution.

This is also why he wants to be a champion - that way he gets respect and never has to back down from anyone, plus champions get legitimately hired for fighting and killing, and don't get arrested for it - and then eventually a witch hunter, because that's the ultimate legalised murdering profession, one which gets mad respect (although very little in the way of being liked).

*not that any of them are actually, you know, nice.

I think all witch hunters are a little bit fire bug

Witch hunters get a special hat that causes fear rolls, not because it's magic but simply because if you see one of those hats it means there's a witch hunter underneath it. That's awesome.

I don't know if this qualifies as good news or bad news, but the Blunderpick basically existed. Check out Henry VIII's walking stick, or particularly the danish axe carbine about three posts down on http://www.allempires.com/forum/foru....asp?TID=31092

We will probably finish death on the reik in the next few weeks depending on the number and detail of hats i must describe, the next part of TEW is not quite as long and then for story reasons i will need you out of the empire for a bit, TEW sends you to kislev but this bit is generally seen as the weakest part (not story relevant, bit boring dungeon runs etc), as such i am opening the floor to suggestions on where you would like a vacation, ill fill in the story, (could still be kislev if you fancy and ill try a differnent story) this will also give me the opportunity to try my own ideas, although you will be surprised to hear that tobias slayter was not orginally in TEW so i have been slipping in a few of my own already

Do they have compound bows in Kislev? With rapid reload I ought to be able to fire off a bow like a machinegun, but I don't fancy using a longbow because that would be ridiculous, and a shortbow seems like a bit of a nasty height related pun, plus it only does 2 damage (which is also the reason I am bored with the repeating crossbow after a record-setting ONE DAY). Some sort of Kislevite horse-bow might be a perfect blend of fast, not-ridiculous-for-a-shortarse-to-use, and half decent damage.

I'd suggest Gorm hold off on his common knowledge learning until we know where we're heading to, and then he can coincidentally suddenly have known a lot about our destination all along.

Go beat up the French! I mean Brentonians, or the Spanish! I mean Estalians, or the Itallians! I mean Tileans, or go back to P-Dubs (Ludo's) old stomping ground in the Moot!
    Last edited by imirk; 11-09-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

In all seriousness I am thinking of trying to roleplay "reflexive hatred and distrust of Bretonnians" as a character trait for Ludo; so far he has met two ever, and the first one tried to cheat us at cards and then recurred later in the adventure as a one-armed river pirate and came very close to ending Ludo's adventures. The second one is the biggest most wilfully blind idiot Ludo has ever met and has caused mad collateral damage, yo.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yea i should probably just hold off and then suddenly know lots about the place we are going. But i kind of liked the idea of taking Dwarfs and Halflings since i've been hanging around with them for a bit now.

still probably wont be for quite a few sessions so no rush!

Ludo doesn't act like your typical halfing- that's kind of the reason he's off adventuring. Dumpling's more of a typical halfling, being quiet and cooking and being scared of crossbows. I don't think our dwarfy friend acts like a typical dwarf either, since we're both wandering the Empire consorting with the bigs and not staying at home. Pretty sure we could have told you plenty about the cultures we didn't fit into, despite being comparative freaks, and it's nice you care enough to have sat on the boat chewing the fat with us.

Looking at the armoury, and given my rapid reload skills I realise that a bow is vastly better than a repeating crossbow. For a start, they do 3 damage and not the 2 I thought they did.

.............................Cost....encumbrance.. .range.....damage...reload
    Bow .......................10 ............ 80 ......... 24/48........3 .......half (free with my skills)

Repeating crossbow 100............. 150 .......... 16/32 .....2.........Free (but every 10 shots I have to stop and reload the magazine for 3 1/2 actions)

As you can see, a repeating crossbow is pretty awesome for any character that doesn't have rapid reload, but I can get a best quality bow for the same price as my repeater, which will do 1 more damage per shot and have a 5% better chance of hitting. Also I won't have to stop every 10 shots to laboriously reload a magazine. Not to mention the repeater has less range and weighs nearly twice as much. Next time I hit civilisation I am going to visit Burleigh and Stronginthearm and swap my repeater for a masterwork bow. That way I'll be able to ping 2 arrows a turn at my enemies until I run out of arrows, they all die, or I get bored.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 11-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.

No more bolas of doom?

Also you guys could be drawn away from the empire into say an ogre kingdom for some reason (phat lewt? Stormtitans? "Good" eats?)
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Quote Originally Posted by imirk View Post
    No more bolas of doom?

Also you guys could be drawn away from the empire into say an ogre kingdom for some reason (phat lewt? Stormtitans? "Good" eats?)
    Hmm may include a trip through the badlands, interesting!