Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I hope everyone else had as much fun as I did. Sheep festival for the win!

Network Hub
    You meet a daemon without your resident psychopath/mage :-P I'm very sad :-( which daemon was it?

This would have been the perfect time to have a mage with us:
    1) it was dark in the sewer, and also (it turns out) rather explody if you bring open flames.
    2) for a change you wouldn't have been inciting lynch mobs
    3) we ran into chaosy evily demonic type shenanigans, and my standard response of "I shoot it with my crossbow" turned out to be fairly ineffective (7+4 is 11, you do... 2 damage).
    4) oh, also we might have known the answer to "which demon was it" if we'd had someone with us that knew anything about that sort of thing.

Also you missed some excellent fun at the sheep festival. We paid a gold to let a drunken dwarf out of the stocks, then he got even drunker and exposed himself to some prostitutes, and I paid another gold to let him out again because I thought he was awesome.
    I won a moral victory (also known as "a loss but I managed to annoy the victor") in the archery competition, and (Harlander?) fought a wrestler!

Network Hub
    Sounds like quite the time!

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    We paid a gold to let a drunken dwarf out of the stocks, then he got even drunker and exposed himself to some prostitutes, and I paid another gold to let him out again because I thought he was awesome.
    You missed the part out where I showed genuine compassion and gave him what he would need to put his life back on track, and where you were responsible for his death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    I am afraid it’s that time again gents and girl gents, an update on our cold blooded, man killing and now charitable adventures! Strange but true, all this and more in The Enemy Within – four blokes dicking around.

-----------------------------------------------

Konistag, 30th of Jahrdrung.

Picking up where we left off our adventurers have arrived in Bogenhafen, having fled accusations of murder in Altdorf and looking to fraudulently claim a substantial inheritance.

Farnoth [Elesium, who couldn’t make this one] is suffering from a bad case nearly being killed, and stays on friend of the party Joseph’s boat, his shattered chest slowly healing. The rest of the party head to the Temple of Verena, goddess of justice and knowledge, to make use of its library in researching the deceased Baroness, whose inheritance they seek to claim.

As the only character that can read and with a knowledge of the local nobility Gottfried [Harlander] soon discovers that there is no record of such a family and further conversation with the temples priest reveals that the law firm managing the inheritance does not in fact exist. They head to the printing firm that created the letter and discover the order was made by a man fitting the description of the bounty hunter Adolphus, it seems this was a ploy to pull ‘Kastor’ out into the open but for what reason the party do not know.

With the adventurers disappointed that they will not be making their fortune by robbing a dead old woman the printer recommends a visit to the Schaffenfest, a local festival currently being held, to cheer them up.

Arriving at the fair they can see it is already busy, with a number of stalls and attractions as well as easily available alcohol and food. Ludo [President Weasel], finds an archery competition and, keen to show his skill and make some gold, signs up along with Christoph [Gorm]

The party stop outside a makeshift wrestling ring in which a showman is encouraging punters to face the mighty ‘Crusher’ for the chance to win big. Christoph can’t resist and steps up and while the watchman puts up a good fight he is unfortunately flung from the ring moments before the bell. The crowd consoles him as he has been the best competitor so far, and some of the party look pleased having made bets against him.

While passing the fete court, erected to quickly manage minor crimes at the festival, the party is hailed by a dwarf who is currently paying his sentence by a stint in the stocks. The party’s resident dwarf, the Egg [Egg], engages the dwarf Gottri, who is a sorry site, and finds he has been charged with propositioning woman of negationable affairs without paying. Taking pity on him, and much to the parties and the nearby watchmen’s surprise, the Egg pays his fine and even gives him his spare pick, as a dwarfs not a dwarf without a pick. Gottri is overjoyed and promises to change his ways, wandering off into the town.

Attracted by town criers to a ringed off area of the fete, the party watch a short display being offered by a travelling Zoocopeia, or freakshow, in preparation for their full display in the evening. Dr Malthusius, who runs the exhibit, provides a running commentary on the creatures on display, including a terrifying small hairy child, a vicious round scaled beast [GM note – I was actually thinking more along the lines of a armadillo rather than aardvark] and a goblin with four arms. Some of the sharper eyed members of the party can tell that this is in fact a con, with the extra arms sewed on and held with wire. The goblin attempts to escape and the party prevent this much to Malthusius pleasure. He offers the party a free visit to the show this evening but his pleasure turns to rage as the Egg announces the goblin con to the surrounding peasants. No one believes him for he is a stupid dwarf you see.

Ludo gets to the final of the archery competition but is beaten by a local noble's master-at-arms, much to the amusement of the watching men-at-arms. Ludo shuts them up by managing to split the master at arms winning arrow, but it’s too little too late as far as the winnings are concerned.

As it’s getting on the party head back to the freakshow to see the official display and see that poor old Gottri has found himself back in the stocks, sans pick but much drunker. This amuses Ludo greatly, who pays his new fine and gives him some coin, laughing as the dwarf heads towards the nearest beer tent.

At the show Dr Malthusius has for some reason forgotten he gave the party free entry, although Gottfired bluffs his way through and Ludo successfully sneaks round the back. Christoph and the Egg head to the nearest beer tent because they didn’t even want to go anyway. The show is well received by the town’s people but not overly impressive for the hardened adventurers. The very fierce four armed goblin is particularly popular but, as its being shown to the audience, it bites its handler and makes run for it diving down a rusted pipe in the ensuing panic.

The town’s magistrate arrives to calm the population, because everyone knows goblins eat children and multiply on their own, and offers the adventurers the princely sum of 50gc to go down into the sewers and get the goblin. This sum is met by Dr Malthusisu if they retrieve it alive and, after leaving their belongings at a well appointed inn paid at the town’s expense, set of into the darkness.

Ludo climbs down the manhole first, offering to secure the ladder for the rest of the party and promptly falls straight into the effluent. The rest of the party arrive and are almost overwhelmed by the stink, except for the Egg who feels quite at home in the sewer.

The party is led by Christoph and Ludo who have experience in tracking and, following a trail of blood left by the goblin, eventually find the ravaged body of poor Gorri the dwarf, who is now missing more than just a pick. This further convinces the party that something monstrous is in the sewers, but they cant decide between a minotaur or troll. The party see the trail leads to a door which they promptly liberate from its hinges and find… an empty room.

As they investigate the room our adventurers find little of note beyond a handkerchief with the monogram F.S, the severed head of a goat with writing carved into it, and a pile of chewed body parts which include two pairs of green arms joined with wire…

It also becomes apparent that they are in fact standing on top a magic circle and as they debate what to do the room begins to fill with black smoke. Something pulls itself free from the smoke and Ludo fires at it, but barley leaves a mark. The creature is less than pleased and in perfect Reikspiel [NAME] demands that the adventurers leave. The party follows its advice and bravely run away, the sound of giggling following them for longer than should be possible.

The party finally leaves the sewers in the early hours of the morning, reeking of refuse and carrying the body of a dead dwarf, the arms of a dead four armed goblin and the rotting head of a goat. It is less than ideal.

------------------------------

Well there we go, hope you didn’t mind the lack of combat but I was pleased that you all got involved in the fair et al.

I have decided you will all need to pay 5 silver a day for food and drink unless you explicitly state you’re looking for cheaper/no food, this will save me having to say ‘you are hungry, go get lunch’ but keeps the economy humming along.

Next time! Will our adventurers discover just what the hell is going on? Possibly! Next session is Sunday, 8 till late.

Network Hub
    Poor Gorri...such a wonderful side character who lived up to his name.

5 silver is a lot of silver! But to be fair, I specifically said I was buying a great deal of "random meat on a stick" and occasionally offering some to the party, so clearly I wasn't making an effort to eat cheaply that day. I did manage to wangle a free pie before going goblin hunting though!

poor old Gottri has found himself back in the stocks, sans pick but much drunker. This amuses Ludo greatly, who pays his new fine and gives him some coin, laughing as the dwarf heads towards the nearest beer tent.
    I think this was my favourite part of the entire session. Good old Gorri. I even went back past the stocks later, willing to pay yet another gold to let him out for a third time, but I was sad to see he wasn't there.

eventually find the ravaged body of poor Gorri the dwarf
    And this made me feel genuinely sad and slightly guilty, which has got to be a testament to Lowkey's GMing skills. Poor old Gorri, I would have taken him with us as a sidekick if I could have.

Oh, I don't think you mentioned the part where we ran around with open flames in a sewer and were surprised when there was an explosion. Shame we didn't have any experienced miners, from a race of miners, to tell us about methane buildup...
    Last edited by President Weasel; 10-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Is it? You paid 5 times that to get gorri out if the stocks and back to drinking! Ok ill have a rethink on it

According to the source book (which isn't necessarily consistent and doesn't necessarily make sense all the time) 5s is about 3 days' pay for a particularly well-paid innkeeper, an average shopkeeper, or a low-end mercenary.

And I did pay 4 times that to get Gorri out of the stocks, but that's because the Sheep Festival was a special occasion, I was having a great time, and I admired his attitude. I even gave him another 5 silver to go get drunk again.

Alrighty, 1 silver without haggeling, damn you negotiating halflings

Well it can't be Schaffenfest every day (sadly).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Tricksie halflings

So an investigative session, not sure if everyone enjoyed it so let me know if you have any suggestions on either the campaign or my gm'ing, happy to discuss in private! It was a real test of my abilities as it wasnt as straight forward as previous ones so maybe thats it, everyone gets 100xp and this part of the campaign will conclude next week in a hopefully suitably dramatic fashion!

The investigative feel of the session was a nice change of pace, and you ran it well. I was a bit tired for this one (I'd already been in a meatspace RPG session that day, where I played a homeless, traumatised Vietnam veteran and alien abductee) as evidenced by the "Who are you, how did you get in here and why?" "Uhhh.... *sound of mental gears grinding to a halt*"

The trouble with investigation in RPGs is I always get the feeling "We're not getting anywhere, what obvious connection have we failed to make?" It's a tricky act as a GM to minimise this. I personally favour Raymond Chandler's advice: when the plot isn't going anywhere, have a man burst into the room with a gun.

Network Hub
    It was fun, but my character has 0 relevant skills apart from the ability to read and write. Give me something to blow up sure, but till then my job is to follow the talky guys around till they find the evil people or the people they decide to kill anyway... the evidence we are following is/was the most insubstantial thing ever :-P up until the very end we had a handkerchief...and that was it, that only had initials not even a name on it!

You could be a talky guy too if you, you know, talked more.
    We had a handkerchief which we found in a secret shrine thing, which turned out to be under the office of the merchant guy.
    The merchant guy was part of a not-so-secret society which was apparently supposed to be doing good works, but we found its insignia on the sheep skull in the demonic ceremony. The initials on the handkerchief were the initials of the merchant guy.
    Certainly its enough to suspect him.

Network Hub
    Problem was my expertise is magic 'daemon stuff is bad' "ok....we keep carrying around all the daemon paraphernalia". If my advice is ignored I'll stop giving it.

To be fair they gave the goats head to a priest, the evidence wasnt strong but you did a good job of following up on it, in the end i suppose you need to suspend your disbelief a bit, not to say a bit of suspicion cant save your life! I suppose in these kind of sessions you get as much out of it as youre willing to put in as i was trying to avoid railroading you, the next one will be more direct!

"that could be tainted and be a demonic connection", you said. "shit, he's right, let's get rid of it", said the party, and promptly gave it to the priest to get rid of.
    That was us following your advice. Advice we went out of our way to go back to the boat specifically to get. You say your expertise is just reading and writing, but you're also our magic expert which is why we consulted you, and then when you told us stuff we followed your advice.