Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avernum is out for Windows and iPad and it's a blast

The three times improved (remake of a remake) turn-based open-(under)world RPG Avernum is out on Win and iPad.

I can very much recommend it. It's full of RPG goodness, lots of quests, dungeons and pretty much open world done right.

The only slightly negative aspect is that you have to focus your skills - each character has to focus on melee, or missiles, or offense magic or defense magic. Mixing punishes you by being weaker.

Buy it directly from the author
    http://www.avernum.com/avernum/index.html

Or cheaper on Steam and Appstore.

There is also a very sizeable demo (as long as some new games nowadays).

Has anyone already played it? What are your thoughts?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I would be very curious how faithful it is to Exile 1 and Avernum 1 - still the same NPCs with the same dialogues, same quests, same items at the same places?

I'm not a big fan of the new skill-system, I liked the one used in Nethergate best. But maybe it'll grow on me.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Wizardry 8; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

Network Hub
    Snagged it but I'm at that "Oh I should've brought this class/skil!" sort of paralysis I get from a lot of RPGs and starting over.

From what I've read on the Spiderweb forums, at the beginning you have to pour everything into the respective combat stats and skills (Strength + Melee for fighters, Dex + Missiles for archers and Intelligence + Priest/Mage spells for priests/mages).

For the first tank that will soak the damage try also to get a few points of Hardiness and Parry.

The consensus is that for the melee fighters dual wielding (available only with swords and daggers) is superior to weapon+shield and two-handed weapons.

Aside from that Tool Use (go for 5 in the first few towns, raise to 7-8 later) helps at the beginning.
    From my experience two or three points in First Aid are handy too.

The skills Tool Use, Cave Lore, First Aid and Arcane Lore get pooled across the whole party, so there is no need for a designated thief or sage.

Don't buy or sell anything until level 8, where you should get the trait Negotiator for everyone. Money is tight and 4 * Negotiator gives you 4 * 10% better prices when selling (and buying?).
    At level 12 get Sage Lore - it lowers the Arcane Lore requirements for spell books by 3 for each person that has it.

I don't know more as I'm at level 11.

If you're still paralyzed, read the forum, there are a lot of tips.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I'm playing it right now, actually. I'm only level three but I'm already addicted. I like that you can build all your characters from scratch if you want (unlike Geneforge and Avadon where you had to pick classes). Although, from what I've read hybrid classes don't seem to be as effective strength wise on harder difficulties. I also love the fact that the map is traversable, rather than just a static map with clickable locations like the other spiderweb games.

The game does seem to require alot of metagaming before you start (unlike, say, Avadon which you could dive right into). I'm currently doing a torment game so I tried to read up on what skills are best and whatnot just because I don't want to get to the end and realize I have to start over.

A stray question in case anyone knows: is there a penalty for getting caught stealing? It gives you a message "you got caught stealing" when someone sees you do it, but I can't seem to recognize any real effect this has.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 13-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Network Hub
    One of the tips on the loading screen says getting caught commiting a crime you can get some sort of curse on you (not sure the effects). It's actually one of the medals/achievements to get the curse and have it lifted.

Just found it can be bought
    a) Cheap
    b) DRM free
    at GG
    http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-AEFP/...e-from-the-pit

IMO it would be a good match for GOG as well.

Really tempted but I've heard it's hyuuuuge and I finished playing Avadon the other day... guess I'll be waiting for a sale O:-)
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I don't like the skill system either, especially how it's displayed. The layout is confusing, and icons are more opaque than plain old text. I still think Jeff's UI design peaked with Blades of Exile - see, items are displayed with icons *and* text. Isn't that the most visually satisfying and easy to use?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Currently playing Avadon on a tablet, and it's a blast. Looking forward to giving this a go, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    The three times improved (remake of a remake) turn-based open-(under)world RPG Avernum is out on Win and iPad.
    Seriously?

Avernum: Escape from the Pits is the remake of Avernum 1 which in turn is the remake of Exile: Escape from the Pits.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Avernum: Escape from the Pits is the remake of Avernum 1 which in turn is the remake of Exile: Escape from the Pits.
    I think his beef is with the word "improved." I know a number of folks feel Avernum 1 was a step down from Exile. I've no idea how the new one compares, of course.

Somehow I didn't notice it was Wizardry I was answering to. Disregard that post.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I've no idea how the new one compares, of course.
    Same.10char

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Currently playing Avadon on a tablet, and it's a blast. Looking forward to giving this a go, too.
    Avadon was a lot of fun and this is even better. Where Avadon's story took you on a pretty linear path, in Avernum you can explore as much as you want - the whole world is available from the start. Of course whether you survive high-level areas is another question, but some creatures can be evaded with a bit of luck (and Cave Lore). :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Same.10char
    Out of curiosity, if you were going to recommend a Spiderweb game (and "I wouldn't" is a legit answer here) which would it be? I've never played any of his stuff.

Start with one of the last two - Avadon or Avernum. They are polished, handle well, Avernum is twice improved (see above).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Out of curiosity, if you were going to recommend a Spiderweb game (and "I wouldn't" is a legit answer here) which would it be? I've never played any of his stuff.
    Exile III of course. It's the best Exile game by some margin. The first three Avernum games are remakes of the three Exile games and are inferior in almost ever way, even graphically (2D tile graphics look far better). The last few Avernum games were made in an updated engine that borrowed code from Geneforge. The combat was somewhat improved from the earlier Avernum games. You might like them.

Having said that, if you like a good story, "choices and consequences" and want to only create a single protagonist then you'd prefer the Geneforge games to any others. However, you've probably got better taste than that.

I don't know much about Avadon and I don't know much about this Exile/Avernum re-re-make. I have read that Avadon is linear and watered down, but I don't remember the details, nor any defining features to make my own judgement (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Exile III of course. It's the best Exile game by some margin. The first three Avernum games are remakes of the three Exile games and are inferior in almost ever way, even graphically (2D tile graphics look far better). The last few Avernum games were made in an updated engine that borrowed code from Geneforge. The combat was somewhat improved from the earlier Avernum games. You might like them.
    Good to know, thanks.

Having said that, if you like a good story, "choices and consequences" and want to only create a single protagonist then you'd prefer the Geneforge games to any others. However, you've probably got better taste than that.
    I lack your level of antipathy to games of that sort (I just consider them something of a separate, overpopulated genre), but it depends a bit on the details. Is it still party based, with pre-made NPC's, or are we talking pure solo?