Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Grand Theft Auto IV Free Roam Multiplayer Role Play Project (GTAIVFRMRPP)

Hello!

I am starting this thread to see if people are interested in something I'd like to call a "Free Roam Multiplayer Role Play Project" for GTA IV.

You might ask what that is, so I'll explain.
    But in order to do that, I'll have to talk a bit about my past with GTA IV MP and the group of people I used to play it with.
    Back in the days, before our "community" disbanded, the people who were involved used to come together for GTA IV Free Roam sessions. In those session, we didn't just drive around, causing mayhem in Liberty City, but we worked out rules and ideas for different sorts of role plays that we then tried to apply to Liberty City.
    The group consisted of roughly 15 people who liked the idea of role playing and sticking to rulesets that were discussed and worked out beforehand.

What I am trying to do is to bring back those organised sessions and try to once again do some of the role plays we thought of in the past.
    Now I've talked a lot about the people who were involved and about rules and role plays and stuff like that, but still didn't really explain what said role plays would be like.
    As everyone who played GTA IV multiplayer before should know, there is a lot of things you can do in the standard Free Roam mode when you have friends to play with, but those things quickly get boring when you keep doing the same stuff like blowing up cars and running from the police.

So people started to use trainers and mods in Free Roam mode, to spice things up and make them more interesting by adding features like spawning cars, objects, player models, by enabling weather change, time change and tons of other features.

The group I played with was using those trainers and mods to create the role plays I was talking about earlier. We spawned things into Liberty City, creating new surroundings for new types of role plays and the ability to change the playermodel enabled us to play as a wide variety of characters such as Police officers, vigilantes, drug lords, biker gangs, car salesmen, normal pedestrians, helicopter pilots and all sorts of other stuff.

Now what I want to do is to bring some examples of 1 or 2 role plays we thought of and describe them, in order to maybe find some interested people and bring those sessions back to life, as the original group that I used to play with disbanded due to various reasons and for most of the role plays player numbers of 8 or more are required to make them really good and fun.

So let me go ahead and describe my two favourite role plays that we though of in the past and tell you what requirements they had:

The first one is one we used to call "I am Legend" role play:

In this, we basically started sessions in which we would disable pedestrians and traffic in the game, recreating the atmosphere of the movie "I am Legend" in which only very few humans were still alive. We would set up a secure location or a base of some sort in one of the enterable buildings or the subway tunnels of Liberty City and would make rules that involve not going out at night (like in the movie), the need of scavenging for food supplies and weapons and other stuff evolving around the idea that at night zombies roam the streets. (Sometimes we used to spawn some "crackhead" NPCs in aggressive mode to simulate the zombies).

We would always have one player who was the designated "Gamemaster". His job was to teleport around the map while being invisible and leave food supplies or weapons scattered around the city, mostly in places like abandoned fast food restaurants, police stations or factories. The gamemaster would also orchestrate "live events" like zombie attacks in dark places or breaches of the base defences at night, in which the other players would have to fight off the zombies in order to survive.
    It was always a lot of fun and with a good "Gamemaster" people often didn't want to stop and played for hours.

Another role play that was very popular was the "Drug Dealer vs. Cops" role play that we used to do:

In this, we had one or two people playing as police officers that have to catch and arrest a drug dealer who was one of the other players. Everyone except the policemen (who obviously got police uniforms) would pick a random skin that looked like an average normal guy and decide to chose from one of many normal jobs they would have like car salesman, pilot, bodyguard or cashier in a fast food restaurant. One of them, however, would become a drug dealer. He got a weapon and the task to sell drugs to all the other players, who are all drug addicts and need to buy from him. The police have to arrest him, but don't know which one of the other people is the drug dealer. Drug deals would be simulated by dropping an object on the floor in front of another player and the police must witness one of those drug deals in order to catch the dealer in the act and be able to arrest him.

The players had to avoid being witnessed on their deals, obviously, and so there was a lot of intrigue on the drug addicts side and a lot of detective work on the police officer side. Once a deal got witnessed by the police, the dealer still had a chance to escape by either killing the police and then escaping on a boat to safety or by just getting to a boat and driving far away from Liberty City, so that the police couldn't find him. He only was allowed to do one of those things when he got witnessed while dealing with drugs, though. Otherwise the police would be too easy to defeat.

In all of those role plays we also used to turn off map symbols, so no one knew where the others are and we used to turn off nametags, in order to more easily blend in with the NPC crowd of Liberty City.

Anyway, so much about the idea of role play in GTA IV and what I used to do in the past.

Now to my main question:

Would there be people interested in being part of said role plays and would those people also be okay with sticking to the rules and not making up their own game on the fly?

I am hoping that we can get together at least 10 people for a couple of session of role play, as I can assure you that it is great fun!

So far I know of me and two other people interested in doing this, so it depends on you folk if we organise this and when we organise this.

Just post here if you are interested and if we get enough people, we will work out how to organise this!
    Last edited by Comrade Commissar; 14-04-2012 at 02:04 AM.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

I'm (obviously) up for this, as is, I expect, Cpt Eggleton.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Very interested, you got me on Steam, if enough interest is generated I'll re-download the mammoth and hop on in.

Network Hub
    I'd join faster then you can say "Head the doucheborn", if i had it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    What version do we need? The latest version, or the "non steam" version preferred by mods?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Only got the steam version, i'm installing it as i type.

Helio: Any version is fine, we'll probably only be using the trainer, which is quite easy to set up. The link to the trainer files are here. The install is just copy-pasting the files into their directories, whether they be the episodes directories (in which case, copy the files into the main EFLC directory and the files inside each folder into the respective subfolders, tLAD and BoGT) or the GTAIV directory.

Also, a sample of the justice we deal out on a daily basis in liberty city: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Ggq...nl4&lf=channel

And by the way, Episodes of Liberty City for only 4 pound here:
    http://www.greenmangaming.co.uk/game...-liberty-city/

That's 5 people + me and Egg, who I know would be interested in joining to. So 7.

3 or 4 more would be great.

Network Hub
    And mee!

Thanks you ivan much love german brother.

I already counted you in.

I have Episodes installed, I believe, does that suffice or does it have to be the base game GTA4? I'm guessing the latter, hoping for the former, it is a hefty download.

That does sound fun and when I recently purchased the series on a Steam sale I spent more time playing online with Episodes... than I did the single player.

Will be willing to join in but I do only have the Steam version (can be either GTA 4 or Episodes...) and which one do I install? I do think that they have separate servers - given the Episodes... ones were fairly empty.

You'll want to install EFLC (episodes), which is a 16GB download. Quite daunting.

The Episodes will be sufficient.
    Most of the stuff will be done in The Lost and Damned, seeing as The Ballad of Gay Tony doesn't have the option to turn off map markers and all that stuff.

So it's alright if you guys just install the Episodes. (Original GTA IV has better radio stations, though ;) )

Spot on, will do that then.

Do you intend to post some sort of schedule of events to see who will be attending?

I'm going to see who shows interests until tomorrow and then I'll start scheduling stuff etc.

Also, less confusing trainer files link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1g7rhio9l317yy6

Just copy everything from the "Trainer Files" folder into your "Rockstar Games" folder.
    And you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeed View Post

Just copy everything from the "Trainer Files" folder into your "Rockstar Games" folder.
    And you're done.
    There's no such folder for the steam version, but it's fairly self-explanatory.

I assume this all doesnt work for Saints Row The Third, right?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."