Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Portal -This is a game where you are given a gun that shoots holes into walls and you can step through the holes and get to places where you shoot other holes. It's like that movie Holes. This game was pretty cool but it was really short and [SPOILER] you just die at the last level. 19 levels of learning how to use your kickass new hole gun and you just die in a pit of fire at the end. I mean the credits didn't even fucking roll at the end it was just like HEY YOU'RE DEAD.

Obscure Node

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

The game in which you travel the mezmerizing foggy lands as a loathed outlander, slaying monsters, gathering loot, exploring dungeons, robbing people right under their noses, making acquaintances and proving your worth to be accepted to guilds and learn incredible skills, without the faintest sliver of an idea
    that there is,
    in fact,
    a [spoiler] "main quest".
    Last edited by Theon; 04-06-2011 at 09:14 PM.

America's Army 3
    I can't recommend America's Army 3 enough. It’s incredibly realistic. I played for five minutes, got shot in the femur, spent three months in a hospital in Germany, and now I get a fat pension and free medical care from the Army. I also have a Purple Heart, which the chicks dig.

The best part? It's free! The American government pays for everything. I give this 8 out of 10 preemptive invasions.

Planescape: Torment

Awaken on a mortuary slab,
    Undressed, unarmed, with no idea why
    You’re here consorting with the dead and drab,
    Or why, as you discover, you can’t die.
    Your mind is gone, your memories forsook
    (Perhaps by th’enchantment which keeps your life);
    Seek aid from talking skull or demon crook,
    Seek truth by conversation, or by knife.
    The city: Sigil, center of all planes.
    The planes: infinite, dangerous, and weird.
    Your allies: flawed, tormented, some insane.
    Your past: more heinous than you’d ever feared.
    You’ll find yourself by any means you can,
    But what can change the nature of a man?

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TychoCelchuuu View Post
    America's Army 3
    I can't recommend America's Army 3 enough. It’s incredibly realistic. I played for five minutes, got shot in the femur, spent three months in a hospital in Germany, and now I get a fat pension and free medical care from the Army. I also have a Purple Heart, which the chicks dig.

The best part? It's free! The American government pays for everything. I give this 8 out of 10 preemptive invasions.
    Oh man, you have my vote.
    I heard the respawn time is a bitch in The American Army, though...?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wizardry IV - The Return of Werdna

r d r y . I V . ~ D ~ . R e t u r n . o
    a X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X f
    z X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X .
    i X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X W
    W X X X X X X X X X X X X a . s i . S e
    X X X X X n i r i u X X X n X X X X X r
    X X X X X g X X X q X X X . X X X X X d
    X X X X X . X X X e X X X i n c r X X n
    X X X X l p X X X r . X X X X X e X X a
    X X X n e X X X X X G X X X X X d X X X
    K X X t X X X X X X P R C . X X i b X X
    X X X y . o f . t X X X X d X X X l X X
    X X X X X X X X r i X X X r a h . y X X
    X X X X X X X X X a X X X X X X X X X X
    K X X X X X X X X l . a X X X X X X X X
    X X X X X o c . X X X n d . e r r X X X
    X X X X p m X o X X X X X X X X o X X X
    X X X X l X X t . r e d X X X X r . m a
    U K X X e X X X X X X r X X K X X X X p
    B ~ . e t X X X X X X o . n i . g n i p

Key
    U - Stairs Up
    D - Stairs Down
    S - Summoning Circle
    K - Key
    ~ - Message
    X - Mine/Trap/Bomb
    B - Battle
    A-Za-z0-9 - Review
    . - Empty Space

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ^ Took me hours that did. ^

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagonalbolts View Post
    Playing Dwarf Fortress is a bit like engaging in bondage. Most people's first interaction with it involves reading stories on the internet, and then tentatively making their own foray into an exciting new world. At first, it's very difficult to make out what's happening, let alone to be any good at it. Most initial attempts end up being highly embarrassing, with everything in the wrong place: it involves pain (often from repetitive finger actions), humiliation, and a bizarre masochism that keeps you coming back for yet more punishment. You've no idea why, but it still ends up being brilliant fun.
    This! It's like an embarassing story, that you keep embellishing in your head until it sounds awesome, and then people hate you because the game is nothing like it at all but they can't stop playing it :) It's like the dwarfs keep whispering their stories to you... You just see them all happen before your eyes and it's wholly logical and awesome, but only you will see it :(

Obscure Node

Deus Ex

I've snuck into the core of the terrorists' operation, and I'm faced with their leader, when suddenly a fellow agent (and superior) shows up and tells me to execute the man.
    He proceeds to tell me about my brother, and I urge him to go on. My superior goes apeshit and says that if I don't kill him, I will be executed for my disobedience. I get really annoyed, and I think "Fuck, that bitch needs to die"; problem is, she's a super-powered cyborg.
    Oh well, I can just try for fun, and reload my save when I fail, just because it'll feel good.
    I stick my shotgun to her face...and she dies! And explodes!
    Woah, that was fun. Now I'm just waiting for the "Mission Failed"-message...
    On the intercom: "What the fuck are you doing!? She was way out of line, but still...! Though, I guess you have to stand for what you believe in, I'll delete the recordings."
    I CHOOSE IN THIS GAME! ME! MY WILL HAS IMPACT!

IL2 Sturmovik:

MEEAAAAOOOOOWWWWWWWWMMMMMM

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

EEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOWWWWWWW KLABOOM!

Yeah, it's pretty fun.
    Last edited by StrangLove; 04-06-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Because

Set in the style of Emily Dickinson, or sung to the theme of Gilligan's Island:

I would recommend Pokemon—
    Specifically Blue—
    A classic seen as without peer—
    I hold this to be true.

It birthed sev’ral complexities—
    Of which you should take stock:
    Elemental perplexities
    Of paper—scissors—rock¬.

To capture monsters great and small¬—
    A challenge set to you—
    To face the Elite Four stood tall—
    And defeat your rival, too.

From Pallet Town to Vic’try Road—
    You’ll build a wond’rous team—
    I praise the man that did encode
    This game, crème de la cream.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:ApplyBreakingRules/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Hide and seek
    While the single-player game has much to recommend it from a purely philosophical perspective, it is the multiplayer experience that shines. The simple core mechanic - in which one player is tasked to locate (or "seek") the others, who are "hiding" elsewhere on the map - gives rise to a pleasingly emergent experience which rewards intelligent second-guessing from both parties.

While ostensibly a children's game, H&S can be enjoyed equally by intoxicated adults. Gamers in the latter group should be aware that participation can lead to inappropriate intimacy, infidelity, shame and regular child support maintenance demands.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    ^ Took me hours that did. ^
    Hope it pays off.

Duke Nukem Forever is not a game where the killblitz kicks into mega-drive and your flaming motorbike engine rockets off the top of a roaring puma’s head as your dick starts shooting over one billion rounds a second, causing all the sky-scraper high enemies around you to explode in the beautifully blood-splattered tornado of a million perfect simultaneous headshots as the killcounter soars upward like a babellian temple to your gory glory.

Instead, it's just a game. But there's nothing wrong with dreaming.

Just Cause 2: A game in which you can jump off a skyscraper and then parachute back up.

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight: The first game to truely make me feel as if i was in the Star Wars universe and great multiplayer on old dial-up (how old am i) Sadly being so old the lightsaber play looked like you hitting someone with a stick in 3 different directions, but it also had a gun that fired like a proto torpedo or something!

Obscure Node
    Modern Warfare 3: A good DLC for MW2, although it's just a reskin of the previous four CODs. At the price of a full new game ( a console game price, no less), I can't recommend it.
    Score: M3h out of 10.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Outcast

Dum dum dum duuuuuuuum dudududum dum dudum dum. PEW PEW PEW! ARGH ARGH. Dododoooooooooooooootarariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiititit ii.

Obscure Node
    Minecraft
    You start the game with nothing - not even vendor trash. I ran around, punched some sheep, and got lost. I found a pretty lake. Then it got dark and monsters killed me. I respawned; it was still dark, and I died again. Then I read the wiki, and learned to punch trees and rocks. So I started a new world and tried again. Now I have a cathedral and diamonds and kilometres of tunnels. I tried exploring again. I got lost. I found a pretty lake. Then it got dark, and monsters killed me.
    I love this game.

Spacewar! is a two player deathmatch game from indie studio MIT, due for release in Q4 1961. You'll be drawn in by the lavish visuals, and by a physics engine that simulates orbital combat with unprecedented realism. The game itself is open source, and can be freely downloaded from the internet, which is kept in the next room at MIT. However because of the ludicrously steep hardware requirements - a computer to run it on will set you back $120,000 - it seems likely that this is one of those titles that will be more talked about than played.
    Last edited by Johnny Lizard; 05-06-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    anothermrlizard.wordpress.com vanity publishing since 2008.