Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    X-COM: Apocalypse is a remake of the classic X-COM: UFO Defense. Although it changed significant portions of the core gameplay, specifically by moving from turn-based to real-time combat, it kept the spirit of traipsing around shooting aliens, stealing technology, researching bigger guns, and trying to keep your organisation afloat.

Despite these similarities, I don't know why it's called X-COM.

Half-Life 2

Not Actually All That Great.

I mean, itís got great parts Ė Alyx is a strong woman of color presented compellingly; the Gravity Gun was ace, and Father Grigori was awesome.

But the rails are bolted on so heavily you canít move your feet. Just one path thru a level (now standard), new rockets miraculously stashed before each gunship fight, and so on. In later Valve games, like Portal the rails are still there, but they make sense. In HL2, it feels clunky and restraining.

Weapons Ė no great shakes either.

It was memorable, carefully done, but still somewhat overrated.

Obscure Node
    Tesla the Weather Man
    This is the only game I know of where you can collect pigeons. It's a physics platformer where Nikola Tesla fights Thomas Edison's army of robots, by controlling the weather. A little buggy in places, sometimes frustrating, but full of enough personality that it doesn't matter so much. It's fully-voiced, which depending on your personal taste may be hilarious or in some cases may make you want to die. (I was the former, Total Biscuit seems rather the latter!)

Obscure Node
    Deus Ex mini review

I mean what's not to like? It's awesome. Yeah it has a lot of flaws (like the terrible combat system or the terrible voice acting). But in the end all the good, the bad and the ugly stuff sums up and creates something extraordinary. Something that makes you wish to replay it almost every year. I'm gonna go full on renegade commander Shepard and say - anybody who thinks this game is not an achievement in modern gaming should get roundhouse kicked by Chuck Nor...no let's make it J.C. Denton. He's busy during the day because he participates in staring contests with the sun, and always wins – he’s that awesome.
    Last edited by Joghurt; 05-06-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Ninja Gaiden (NES)

This guy throwing knives is a git
    I jump back but still I get hit
    The spawn point comes back
    Now there's two of these hacks
    And they've knocked me back into the pit

Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    Ninja Gaiden (NES)

This guy throwing knives is a git
    I jump back but still I get hit
    The spawn point comes back
    Now there's two of these hacks
    And they've knocked me back into the pit
    Thank God, we moved away from haikus at last.

Obscure Node
    Outcast:

“Would you look at that water!” probably my first words regarding Outcast; a reaction that returns with each revisit. “What a bizarre game” would also be apt: scrounging ammo, riding cocobos, shooting bats!

Wherever you found yourself in Adelpha, the world had something to offer. What Outcast did well, bar being the last great Voxel engine I recall, is to offer up an engaging, original and alien planet to explore. Which other title of that era, went to the pains of building the save feature into the game word? Without doubt, the greatest game to have come out of Belgium.
    Last edited by Pop; 06-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Amnesia
    Splash.
    Splash.
    Splash. Splash. Splash. Splash.
    Run.
    Run, run, RUN RUN RUN RUN.
    SHIT-WHAT-IS-THAT-IT'S-AFTER-ME-AND-IS-GOING-TO-KILL-ME-OH-FUCK-FUCK-FUCK-FUCK-FUCK.

Where'd it go?

Obscure Node
    Morrowind: Morrowind has always been a special game to me, it may not have the best gameplay mechanics in the world, but it's still my favorite game of all time. Why? I don't know. Morrowind takes place on the fictional island of VVardenfell, where racist elves berate you for not being as elf as they are (Even though they still berate you if you are one of their kind), and they get pretty shocked when you turn out to be their equivalent of Jesus. It's also hugely moddable, with most fans spending more time installing mods than playing. Go play it.

Obscure Node
    Shadow of the Colossus. It has amazing music and really big fellas to take down but not in a sexual way so that's ok. AGRO!

Team Fortress 2 - Brutal, fashionable warfare.

Super Meat Boy - A telling account of the dangers of abortion.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl - Lotta dudes.

Hail to the King Baby.

Duke Nukem 3D - hey remember when you were fighting aliens in an urban wasteland, using your shrink ray to stomp on a pig-like creature, flying on your jet-pack and paying strippers to show you their goods while you spouted out amazing one-liners? Don't remember? Well then play this game dummy and live vicariously through Duke Nukem the baddest motherf*cker around. Enjoy.

Battlefield 1942:

This is easily one of the best FPS out there with a heavy focus on large scale battles, teamwork plus being based on World War II. While I never played the first 1941 games in the series, I still instantly fell in love with it. It manages to mix a realistic representation of squad based combat and the laws of Issac Newton re-imagined. Nothing like helping out 4 wounded mates surronded by 2 tanks and 9 hostile infantry while surfing on top of an aeroplane crashing into your enemies. I can't wait for the remake of the 3rd game in the series.
    Last edited by NachoPiggy; 03-06-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Halo

Aren't those the guys from MDK?

Also something about undeserved praise for doing what PC shooters had been doing for years.
    Last edited by dotBrain; 03-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Obscure Node
    I've never been the biggest fan of open-world games, but Bully is just brilliant. Though the characters in Rockstar's other open-world games reguarly rub elbows with drug dealers, crime lords, and mafia bosses, Bully's main character is much more relate-able--spending most of his time playing pranks on teachers, trying to win over girls, and dodging hall monitors. Its like going back to high school again, except you can do whatever the hell you want. This feeling of reliving old experiences from "the other side of the swirlie" is something that few games manage to accomplish (maybe the Sims does too, if you count that as a game). The gameplay has some minor flaws (like some of the mini games) and the PC port is a little lazy, but I highly recommend this game to everyone. Its unlike any other game--a hint of teenage fantasy wrapped up in a crunchy shell of solid Rockstar-quality gameplay.

Obscure Node
    Reviewing Rainbow Six: Raven Shield is reviewing other people. How many marks is the "clipping error" that caught a friend's bullet in the back of your head? What percentage is the grenade that your squadmate threw, and that you ran into? What price stacking up, throwing a flashbang and shouting GOGOGO into your headset? What would you give for running between parked cars, your comrade's sniper rifle covering your back? Is there a mathematical value for storming a room together, dying in a hail of each other's bullets? For shared ineptitude? For the brotherhood of victory? For friends? Ninety-one percent.
    Last edited by Gap Gen; 03-06-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: BOLDFACE

Obscure Node
    Desktop Dungeons: Rogue-like game. Easy to get into, easy to get killed. I play it at work. High replayability. And for those wondering, it includes both my desktop and dungeons.

The Championship Manager/Football Manager series:-

Spreadsheets are mysteriously imbued with the qualities of crack cocaine, all thanks to the magic of foot-to-ball fantasies.

Magicka is a game about combining elements in order to create spells and, on rare occasion, doing so without accidentally murdering your friends. Each wizard protagonist carries a sword and a staff, both of which can be upgraded. Those upgrades are lost when you die, which is to say frequently, but weirder and more powerful upgrades are usually close at hand.

Also, just about every character in the game talks like the Sweedish Chef. If you find that funny, and if the core mechanic appeals to you, then you will enjoy the beejeebus out of this game.

Obscure Node
    I
    am
    not
    good
    gamer
    enough
    to tell
    you what
    you shall
    play based
    on my truly