Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Dungeon Keeper - You play a mafia don, you slap bitches around, you torture guys for information, you get your enemies on your payroll and the send them to their deaths to expand your territory, EVERY MAN'S DREAM.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Ultima Underworld 1 + 2

Nineteen years ago, the first realtime first person perspective RPG was made. The combat and magic systems were revolutionary. You could talk to pretty much anyone who wasn't a hostile monster, and make many different choices, each with specific consequences. The Underworld games inspired System Shock, Deus Ex, Gothic, Elder Scrolls, and many others.

Back then, I assumed that people would get tired of games where the only form of interaction was shooting things, when games like UW2 existed. And yet now there are so many FPSs and far too few Underworldlikes. What a shame.
    Last edited by MadTinkerer; 03-06-2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: just a quick trim

Obscure Node
    Ondrej, that's mightily impressive.

Obscure Node
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The land of potatofaced characters who share the same four voices, is oddly compelling. Despite it's little flaws in unbalanced enemy item drops, and believeable dialogue about mudcrabs, Oblivion manages to satisfy the players crave to explore, even though many areas are rather repetitive. But remember you will never get those 80 hours back.

Oh, and it has less fog than Morrowind.

Obscure Node
    The Witcher:

In terms of pacing, it is slow at first, fast at second, and perfect at the end. As for its themes, violence, racism, sex and moral decisions define The Witcher, and these are the essential ingredients to a worthwhile RPG. You won't be left with a sour taste in your mouth when you finish this game. Instead, you'd want to taste it again and again.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondrej View Post
    I
    am
    not
    good
    gamer
    enough
    to tell
    you what
    you shall
    play based
    on my truly
    un-justified
    opinion about
    some game that
    you most likely
    know newt about.
    Frankly, it would
    be very snotty for
    me to think I could
    compare my review to
    your magnificent work
    you guys write on RPS!
    Nonetheless, you should
    perhaps go play Terraria
    right now, because having
    spent countless hours with
    it I feel it is safe to say
    you will not be disappointed
    as this is one the best games
    on the indie market right now!
    Shit... can't follow that.

Ed Hunter - The Iron Maiden PC Game:

With Metallica selling-out during the mid-90s, Iron Maiden were not going to let themselves fall behind. The limited edition came with a signed wheel of Iron Maiden cheese, a link to the payment screen on fan club's website, a card that when opened played a recording of the design team laughing at you and a glossy photo of the band members taking their bags of cash to the bank. For those that are interested, the game is a light gun-style game, flowing through environs loosely based on Maiden artwork, all set to the soundtrack of poorly sampled Maiden songs. It would have taken a complete lack of shame to have returned this game for a refund - for the rest of us, we just had to chalk it up to one of life's very important lessons: merchandise sucks.

Obscure Node
    Infiniminer: Like Minecraft with teams.
    Dwarf Fortress: Like Minecraft in 2D.
    Dungeon Keeper: Like Minecraft without the outside world.
    Lego: Like Minecraft minus the mobs.

Amnesia and AI War Combo-Review

Both sit in my Steam library, never uninstalled, yet never touched, for my brief encounters with either of them frightened me to equal amounts with their huge complexity and incredibly dense and frightening atmosphere. Still I feel enriched by their presence, like sitting across from two beautiful women, smiling at them, listening to their intelligent conversations, but never being man enough to talk to them.

Maybe I'll have a try at them when I've started to do sports more regularly and am a successful business person.

Obscure Node
    Witcher 2

Geralt –
    Shining swords of Silver and Steel
    Whirling and twirling like a dervish of your demise
    Ungainly beasts both human and not
    Fall without honor to your dance of death
    Forests and trees, castles and stones
    Beauty in every place
    Continually searching, continually reaching
    Will you find your past?
    Will you find your future?
    Help us to see beauty in the journey
    Not just the destination
    Last edited by DJ_Squizzy; 03-06-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Cannon Fodder is the modern heir to Apocalypse Now, a modern diatribe against the futility and inhumanity of war. Only through the power of the Amiga 500 can the true impersonality of modern warfare be impressed. Using a zoomed out graphical style neatly dehumanizes the participants, encouraging the use of soldiers as a disposable resource. However the simple act of naming the soldiers and granting them a gravestone upon death shows the true cost of war. This game will become the defining moment of a generation and end war within two decades as this classic continues to warn against enlistment.

100% (of words used, not counting this line)
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 03-06-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: obvious MW pun/reference/mention

Zork
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Obscure Node
    The Witcher - The first 3rd person sex simulation game, oh and there are monsters too.

Obscure Node
    Fallout is a game about a dude who wanders in a desert with a dog and an overpowering sense of entitlement to everything other people own. I left no dresser, footlocker, or container unchecked. The purpose of the game is to amass as much stuff as possible and then hide them in underground bunkers like a pirate. Like any pirate you can steal from people to fulfill your need for more stuff. You can even straight up murder women and children to get at even more stuff. Fallout is a great stuff collecting game. Five stolen stars out of Five.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Battlefield 2142
    Everyone says itís a reskin of BF2. Apart from the bit where you and your squad race to a missile silo, fire missiles at the enemy titan until its shields go down, then grab a transport-ship, fly over the titan, shoot down on escape pods, storm through the corridors destroying critical subsystems to open the way to the core, then burst into the heavily-defended core room and destroy the power generator before sprinting across the cargo deck and parachuting off the titan as it explodes, it is.
    And itís great.

Obscure Node
    Planescape torment:Never has a game made me feel this many emotions. Never has a game made me think about life. Never before has a game made me want to change.
    What can change the nature of a man? Planescape can.

Obscure Node

Activated Node

The Last Express

The first in a new generation of adventure games; the last of it's generation. All the components - music, story, dialog, graphics, gameplay - are of high quality, but they all play second bass to drawing you in, immersing you in the world. You are Robert Cath, and you will find out what the heck is going on. If not, Paul Verhoeven will spell it out for you.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/last_express_the

I shall cheat. Is that alright? I know it's alright.

Here is my review of all BioWare games at once. Emotional rant included at no charge.

It was published on May 31st, but probably hasn't gone stale yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    SimCity 2000 is a game in which a psychopathic deity briefly takes an interest in urban planning.