Grim Dawn Kickstarter (is coming soon)

Update: The kickstarter's live now, you can find it here.

Original post:
    Crate Entertainment have posted a draft of their Kickstarter to finish and release their unique and awesome-looking sandbox ARPG Grim Dawn (RPS coverage here).
    I never got around to pre-purchasing a key from their online store, but am glad for the opportunity to throw money at them soon for a boxed special edition.
    As far as I know the donation levels have already been altered based on community feedback, so they may be subject to change.
    Really looking forward to this one.

Edit: Access to the draft's been blocked during alterations, here's a temporary pic of what it was. Shame the video can't be mirrored, it's excellent. Hopefully the link will still work when it's reactivated.
    Last edited by ColdSpiral; 17-04-2012 at 11:59 AM.

What's the difference between "normal", "epic", and "legendary" game keys? I can't seem to find any sort of explanation.

edit: Nevermind, it's just the rest of the benefits they list with each tier (http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute_buynow02.php).

I'll definitely be contributing to this one.
    Last edited by elfbarf; 16-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Network Hub
    Hmm, looks like a well done but incredibly generic game. I don't really see the appeal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    I don't like the genre too much save for Nox which has a style of its own (it's skill-based). So it's not a surprise I find this unconvincing. On the other hand, a kickstarter project is the right thing to do for these guys. Brian Fargo And Tim Shaffer have names and reputation, these guys have a working game to show. That needs more work.

I understand it's a draft, but they need more convincing descriptions. For example how exactly they can use extra money ? I would value this game much more if it had randomly generated levels. Say how much money you need to implement random level generators. Additionally, last time I checked the game had a Linux version in development, too. So why is it not mentioned on Kickstarter ?

Just check out their "What makes Grim Dawn different?" section. There's barely any information in there. Mostly that it will be an old-school ARPG with more customization - skill combinations and stat allocation.

Stylistically, I don't like the game much more than Diablo 3 and Torchlight. It's a bit more grim, but still looks a lot like fireworks show and light effects are average. Still lots of gibs flying everywhere, screen shaking effects. Combat is based on having more HP/AC/resistances/damage per second. This is unlike Nox where weapons have ranges, you attack and block manually, there's no miss chance but instead you hit or miss based on your skill and timing. In Nox, you mostly deal with projectiles by manually dodging them. I would back this game if it was like Nox in these aspects.

I hope Path of Exile guys start a Kickstarter...

Sandbox ARPG? Sandbox, how? Hmm. Would Diablo 2 be described as Sandbox?

No matter. I referred to the preview. Hmm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    To be fair creators of Grim Dawn are creators of Titan Quest, which was supposedly a very solid ARPG. So there are reasons to be excited - if you like this kind of thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    They were also able to license the Titan Quest engine that they have experience working on. Obviously modified and updated.

Unfortunately I will have to wait until release to contribute. Look forward to it.

Obscure Node
    Personally I'm more excited for Grim Dawn than I am Diablo 3, mainly because Titan Quest was so amazing.

And the kickstarter is now live.
    The rewards have been balanced out well and the goal is pretty modest - I'm hoping this one's a success.

Network Hub
    Pleged. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

Network Hub
    Seems to be doing rather well, I'm sure this one will get funded

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    8 hours to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/posts/222783

Couple more stretch goals in reach.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    PA gave a link, should easily hit the goal now. Nice.