Hybrid View

Your favourite game reviews/articles

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/...nfinity-blade/

I just remembered this amazing piece of writing the other day about Infinity Blade (which was a lot of fun actually). It's definitely one of the most clever articles on a game I've ever read. The Grimrock article on RPS today reminded me of it because of how it integrated game dynamics into the review itself. I'm not sure if it will make as much sense if you haven't played it but it should become pretty clear once it gets started.

More conventional articles now. Two superb articles on game and level design in Super Metroid:
    http://gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille...er_Metroid.php
    http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=591

Anyone else have any hidden gems they would recommend?

(As an aside, if you haven't read RPS Blood-bowl or Solium Infernum diaries then you are really missing out.)

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I can't find it now (it may not even be online), but there was a piece in PC Gamer UK about Supreme Commander 2 that I loved. It was an account of a game between two of the writers (Tom Francis and Graham Smith, I think), with both of them writing about their experience and how the match was going. Towards the end it started to diverge wildly, until both of them marched their armies into each other's bases and to victory, laughing and taunting across the office all the while.
    It turned out there had been a connection blip mid-way through; both games had switched to offline mode and had the AI take over the other player's army. Neither had noticed, and both proceeded to demolish their AI enemy.

It was by no means a sophisticated piece of writing, but it makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Quintin Smith's Minecraft coverage is something special for me. It's the moment when I fell in love with RPS and Quins. Too bad he ain't here anymore.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Slightly off topic but Amiga Power's recreation of Doom with BB Guns is probably the single best thing I have ever read in a gaming magazine

Tom Francis Gal Civ2 Diaries (first one and second one) are simply brilliant.
    David Wong articles on gaming are always fun and somewhat insightful
    A gamer's manifesto
    The Ultimate War Simulation Game
    The seven commandments all video games should obey

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Gamasutra in general has some excellent articles. Here's one from Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software, talking about his experiences in the industry and the challenges you face when serving a niche audience.

Agreed, Gamasutra has some great ones. I've already linked The Invisible Hand of Super Metroid several times on RPS. Here are some more.

The Mugglification Of The Gaming Market
    Interview: The Making Of Dwarf Fortress
    GDC 2001: What Happend to My Colors !?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    Agreed, Gamasutra has some great ones. I've already linked The Invisible Hand of Super Metroid several times on RPS. Here are some more.

The Mugglification Of The Gaming Market
    Interview: The Making Of Dwarf Fortress
    GDC 2001: What Happend to My Colors !?!
    Yeah that Super Metroid one is great, I linked to it above. Do you know any other ones that go that in depth on level design? It was jsut a fascinating and nostalgic read for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    Yeah that Super Metroid one is great, I linked to it above. Do you know any other ones that go that in depth on level design? It was jsut a fascinating and nostalgic read for me.
    I know you linked it, otherwise I would have.

I posted this in the Roguelikes for newcomers thread the other day: @Play: The Delights Of Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer DS. There are lots of good roguelike articles on @Play, but it hasn't been updated in about a year.

That one reminded me of this article about Baroque and the fact that Hardcore Gaming 101 has a ton of articles like this (and features, forums, blog, etc). Fantastic stuff.

I can't reach any of those Actionbutton.net links (internal server error...). This article is the reason I eventually picked up K&L: Dead Mean Walking: In Defense of Kane & Lynch.

Kieron Gillen's Deus Ex review for PC Gamer. Because what else? (Aha! Found it!)

Also Tom Francis' superb Galactic Civilizations diary. (Doh, just noticed it was mentioned above)
    Last edited by frenz0rz; 16-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Action Button Dot Net

Kane & Lynch 2
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I love ABDN. I also like Tim Rogers in general. (I know a lot of people don't have the patience for his 10,000 word ramblings.)

Favourites:

Diablo II ("Trying to roleplay someone unenthusiastic")
    Bulletstorm ("The best murder-boner stroking simulation so far this year.")

Here's a classic: Sunglasses at Night (the Deus Ex 'anti' walkthrough)

RPS's Gameboys in Hell was one of my favourite game-diary type things.