Activated Node

Help me get into M&B: Warband and I shall reward you with Internet nice guy points

So I picked up Warband last night. I've read good things about it and it's mods (particularly cRPG) around the RPS forums, among other places, and I got it mostly for the multiplayer (which I've seen praised the most).

Trouble is, I have zero idea what I'm doing. I understand the basic combat and such, but I don't really know what types of games / what mods to play to get accustomed to it and not get rolled over. I also want to maximize my fun intake, cause I'm a dev and everything needs to be optimised.

So, advice for a newbie archer / barbarian / knight / something-entirely-different? (I haven't decided what kind of combat I want to get into first)

A good idea is to get a lance, one of the best horseback weapons in the game. If auto-couching is on, all you need to do is point the thing at an enemy and, once it hits the poor chap, it'll deliver ridiculous amounts of damage to him, depending on speed and direction.

If you're not great at timing your stabs, weapons that swing are a good idea. Axes especially have high values, and scythes are great as well.

To get an extra burst of speed on the campaign map, keep your party to horsemen only. That way, you travel faster and can outrun bandits at the outset of the game.

Crossbows are slightly easier to use than normal bows, not losing accuracy the longer you aim them. The bow, however, has a much better rate of fire, and the best ones can still be used on horseback, contrary to the better crossbows. Really, it's a matter of preference, but I prefer a crossbow to a bow.

Companions have customisable kit, if you ask to see their inventories you can mix it up, and give them some really nice (Or really crap) stuff.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Find tournaments, in the vanilla game they're absurdly easy and net you a very healthy reward for winning one. The tournament's theme will depend on where it's held, expect a Swadian tournament to involve a lot of fighting from horseback with lance or sword, while in a Nord tournament you'll generally be fighting on foot with bow or axe. Tournaments and melees are also a good way to get your weapon skill up early on with no consequence for dying.

Mod-wise, the battle size mod is a must. Unmodded the battles are little more than tiny skirmishes with small waves fighting it out one by one. With the mod you can scale battles up to 1000 (not recommended, your PC will die a horrible death) to get the feeling of a proper battle between armies.

Once you're a bit more experienced with the game, I highly recommend the Prophesies of Pendor mod. It's a complete overhaul of the game, factions, map, armies, the works. Definitely get familiar with the base game first, as PoP is designed with the experienced player in mind.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 30-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Activated Node
    I should stress that I'm mostly interested in multiplayer, preferably competitive. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I wouldn't bother with cRPG. You won't get anywhere if you're not already good at M&B combat, and sitting out the rest of the round when you die and being stuck with whatever equipment you can afford makes practice slow.

You're best off joining a siege or TDM server in vanilla Warband, there's still plenty of people playing. You won't find a whole lot of organisation or teamwork but you'll be back in the fight quickly when you die and everyone's on the same level when it comes to equipment (non-persistent, you can earn money for that round by doing well). The most important skill to learn is manual blocking, most people use auto block in single player but you don't have that option in MP.

Network Hub
    I tried M&B multiplayer once and the ground fighting actually made me dizzy with all the constant turning around that everyone was doing in order to get hits in faster/with more range.

Here are a couple of cool techniques to do sometimes that I picked up from what I think was the official boards: When you are going in for an attack, if you move you mouse in the same direction as your attack when you release M1, you get your hit in quicker since the hitbox of your weapon should move faster by virtue of you turning into your strike. The other one is attack direction switching. When holding M1 for an attack, you can change the direction of your strike by pressing block+whatever direction you want the new attack to be in.

For example, if I am holding M1 in an overhand slash with a sword and I want to change to a thrust, I flick my mouse down and press M2 and I change to a thrust without releasing the attack. This works well to confuse the AI and might even work on human players occasionally!
    Last edited by cosmicolor; 30-05-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Here's advice that I read somewhere that really got me off on the right foot. I was having a lot of trouble grinding to get enough money/strength/equipment to be able to do much of anything.

Go to the peninsula where Wercheg is and track down bands of ... Sea Raiders, I think they're called. They'll often run from you, but you can corner them, dismember them, and use or sell their precious stuff. This is a good way to get through the tough and grindy early stage of the game. At least it was for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    if you want to get better at mp, play singleplayer for a while. seriously. turn off automatic blocking, learn how to time/read blocking different swings until you feel semi comfortable, then hit an mp server.

i personally love crpg (having put in a stupid amount of hours in that i don't really care to repeat), and the brutality has been lessened for new people since when i started playing. rolling a skip the fun character (zooming right to lvl 30) and jumping into a siege server is a good way to get your feet wet.

I don't see the point in playing cRPG now, though maybe if you get involved in a clan and the territory control meta-game it could be fun. When I first tried it years ago it was entertaining, because there were lots of other low level characters around so you could run off and fight with sticks or throw rocks at better armed characters and run away. Now 90% of the players seem to be veterans who are both much better at the game and much better equipped, so I'd rather play normal Warband and have some more balanced fun.

Lesser Hivemind Node Spider Jerusalem's Avatar
    every time i retire, i do just fine with my tabard, woolen cap and practice longsword.

I'm sure you can, but you're already an experienced player. It's not a good mod to recommend to a new player trying to learn the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Install Floris. Roleplay whatever you want to be: noble, sellsword, mercenary leader, merchant... Don't care about dying, losing or going back to basics, this game is the same as life and by making mistakes you will get better at it over time.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangLove View Post
    A good idea is to get a lance, one of the best horseback weapons in the game. If auto-couching is on, all you need to do is point the thing at an enemy and, once it hits the poor chap, it'll deliver ridiculous amounts of damage to him, depending on speed and direction.
    Smacking someone in the face - ideally the opposing general, as the first action of the engagement - with a couched lance is just about the most absolutely fucking glorious thing in that game. It makes you feel like a C13th Exocet missile.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I'm sure you can, but you're already an experienced player. It's not a good mod to recommend to a new player trying to learn the game.
    I recently made a character that was 100% crossbow (and so died immediately and pitiably to anyone with a melee weapon...but outran most of them!) and that was great fun, but every time I tried to use melee I ended up feeling the same way. Could rarely find people who were even at that "slightly-better-but-I-can-learn-from-the-fight" level; mostly I just died instantly. =P Then again I never played any other type of Warband multiplayer, so I never learned proper techniques.

That said, few things have been more fun than crossbow cRPG mod :D

I think what makes Mount & Blade so great for multiplayer, aside from all the obvious things, is the way that people keel over in such varied, slow, sad ways when struck with a bolt.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Eduardo del Mango View Post
    Smacking someone in the face - ideally the opposing general, as the first action of the engagement - with a couched lance is just about the most absolutely fucking glorious thing in that game. It makes you feel like a C13th Exocet missile.
    Especially if you just told the rest of your lancer companions or mercenarys to follow you, and you lead a lancing assault straight into the unsuspecting enemy. GLORIOUS.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.