Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Indie PC - Kinetic Void

Kinetic Void is a 3D space adventure with a focus on customization and enjoyable simulation.
    Our in game ship builder allows players to construct their ship piece by piece. Each module can
    be destroyed individually and if a ship's engines are destroyed, it will be left drifting.
    If the hull piece containing a reactor is knocked out, everything that reactor powered will be
    useless (unless another reactor can pick up the slack). While in space flight, interactions
    between objects are governed by the physics engine. Running into an asteroid at high speed will damage your ship and could send you careening off into space. Slowly approaching the asteroid and then throttling up will allow you to accelerate the asteroid. And if that asteroid just happens to be heading toward a space station... well, the results should be spectacular.
    But be careful who you anger. The faction who owned the station will remember your little stunt and may be gunning for you in the future. On the other hand, their enemies may appreciate your resourcefulness and be more open toward you.

We have a shipyard demo that is out right now, we update it weekly adding more features and
    gameplay.
    Check it out!

Kickstarter!
    We need your support! Contribute so that we can work on Kinetic Void full time!
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n/kinetic-void

Fully detailed and customizable space ships. Tailor your ship for any role. Make a
    sleek fighter, a bulky freighter, or a mighty carrier. Your ship’s capabilities and appearance
    are completely up to you. Using Kinetic Void’s ship builder you can make exactly the ship you
    want. Customize every part of your ship from cockpits, hulls, engines, weapons, and aesthetic
    modules. Each module has its own statistics that affect the total performance of your ship.
    Every module can be further customized by slotting in subsystems.

Take direct control of your ship. Kinetic Void offers two control modes. Cursor-mode,
    where the player can control the ship through keyboard commands, and pan the camera with the mouse in any direction for quick tactical overview; or Mouse Flight-mode, allowing direct
    control of the ship through mouse movements. Control your battleship’s turrets from a sweeping
    orbital camera or slip between asteroids in a dogfight while piloting your heavy-fighter using
    mouse flight mode. Switch between modes at any time to best suit the situation.
    The Mouse Flight-mode will also be controllable with joysticks making the flight jockeys out
    there feel right at home in the stars.

A new galaxy every time. When a new game is started the galaxy map, the contents of each
    sector, and the factions involved will be generated from scratch. This will ensure that each
    play-through is a totally new experience, with unpredictable events and political climate.
    There will also be a choice to save galaxies so that the player may start over with a new captain,
    in an already established galaxy.

Freedom to choose your fate. Be the scourge of the galaxy, or its savior.
    A life of combat and struggle not your thing? Become an intergalactic trader and influence the
    galaxy one deal at a time. Not interested in being a ‘good guy’? Take on a life of piracy and
    plunder your way through sectors creating havoc wherever you go, docking at pirate stations
    for supplies and crew as needed.

Intense active combat. Target enemy ships and maneuver in real time to align devastating
    broad-sides or crippling strafing runs. In Kinetic Void, your skills as a pilot are just as
    important as the components that make up your ship.

Know your neighbors. In Kinetic Void the galaxy is a living, breathing thing, not all
    factions get along, not all of them hate each other. As factions interact, agreements and
    treaties will be made and broken. Trade, combat and piracy will affect how the factions see
    each other based on their own internal standings.

The player will be able to complete assignments or jobs on behalf of factions, and in this
    way can manipulate the political climate. Be careful if you decide to double cross someone,
    though! Factions will remember your deeds and act appropriately. If you want to avoid such
    complications, stay out of politics altogether and go it alone.

Can you hear this?! Artem Bank is composing and producing the music for Kinetic Void
    Sample his work at his site located here http://artembank.bandcamp.com/

We post weekly development videos for all to see. You can find these videos in two places
    YouTube
    GameTrailers

Badland Studio is a small independent team of highly motivated developers. Our primary
    philosophy towards development is an “open forum” approach, each team member, no matter
    their specialty, has input on the project. Our team is currently made up of three individuals.

Sean Pollman "LumberingTroll": South Dakota, Sioux Falls
    Project Manager / Game Designer
    Programmer / Texture Artist

Matthew Hardy "Harabeck": Arkansas, Springdale
    Lead Programmer

Kevin Czajkowski :MrTargetPractice": Florida, Orlando
    3D Artist
    Texture Artist

we need all the assistance we can, tell your friends, post on forums, talk to random
    strangers on the street! We have a lot of really excited people behind us, and I know that
    we can make this happen!

3ALxL.jpg3iZDR.jpgI5Huv.jpgnPrHJ.jpgtDYUx.jpg
    Last edited by LumberingTroll; 01-05-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Updated for new content and kickstarter

Anyone tried the editor? Thoughts? Got a ship design to share?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Their kickstarter is up, including some more footage etc. Looks really tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Their kickstarter is up, including some more footage etc. Looks really tasty.
    Thanks Wolfen! Im overhauling the OP right now.

This looks promising! I'll keep an eye out for more updates.

Looking very interesting, I'll be downloading the Shipyard demo shortly =)

we have located and eliminated a couple small bugs, there will be a patch and Kickstarter update tonight.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Escape Velocity Nova in 3d? That could work.

Hey all, just a bit of a heads up, we are busy working on this coming Mondays update, there will be new modules, and we have corrected a few bugs, Matt and I have been working on the Weapons Management system, which is the next step in bring weapons online to play with in the shipyard (who wants to shoot asteroids?)

We are still plugging away at our Kickstarter, but we really need more momentum. Backers supported word of mouth, and Press coverage are the ways to our goal!

Hate to double post but.. I will be in the RPS steam group all day pretty much, feel free to stop by and ask any questions you like.

Who wants to see the patch notes for Monday so far?

Ships from previous builds are not guaranteed to load in current build.

==============================
    Changes
    - Classification now changes based on ship total mass
    - The scroll wheel only affects throttle if the mouse is NOT over a GUI element
    - Travel mode has been removed, you can now use ‘T’ to turn off your maneuvering thrusters and enter a no-drag, Newtonian flight mode. Make sure you start to decelerate before your destination, or you may not like the arrival!
    - Renamed modules and reorganized the database that holds the modules - this may break all previously built ships.
    - Normalized all mass ranges based on size tier - this will change once we begin balancing.
    Size 1 - 10m, Size 2 - 20m, Size 3 - 40m, Size 4 - 80m, Size 5 - 160m /per module
    Normalized all subsystem slots based on size tier - this will change once we begin balancing.
    Size 1 - 2x2, Size 2 - 3x3, Size 3 - 4x4, Size 4 - 5x5, Size 5 - 6x6 /per module
    Addition
    - Weapons Manager - default key “G”
    - Turrets can now be fired at targets that have been ‘locked’ keys 1 - 0 mirror the weapons groups, pressing these key will issue an attack order shift+# will issue a cancel attack order to all weapons in that group (weapons may be assigned to multiple groups)
    - Module - Size 1 Hull 7
    - Module - Size 1 Cockpit
    - Module - Size 1 Engine
    - Modules - size 3 versions of all size 2 hulls, engines and weapons
    - Modules - Size 1 versions of all size 2 hulls, engines and weapons
    - SubSystems menu (does not function yet)
    - SubSystem inventory per module (does not function yet)
    - By popular demand Cockpit view! While in mouse flight zoom all the way in to enter cockpit view.
    - Asteroids are now targetable / attackable! Watch out though, when they explode the chunks can cause other asteroids to explode as well! The particle effect and sound is placeholder for now.
    Fixed
    - Base build block should no longer disappear if there are no other blocks in the shipyard
    - GUI quality will no longer degrade with overall texture quality on lower settings.
    Work In Progress
    - Weapon Systems
    - Ship Modules
    - Sub Systems
    - User Interface

Its been a long week :D

Update 0.17 is now live! I am uploading the dev video now.

Please re-download the entire package! the patch wont work for this change!
    http://kineticvoid.badlandstudio.com/the-ship-builder/

Ships from previous builds are not guaranteed to load in current build.

Changes
    - Classification now changes based on ship total mass
    - The scroll wheel only affects throttle if the mouse is NOT over a GUI element
    - Travel mode has been removed, you can now use ‘T’ to turn off your maneuvering thrusters and enter a no-drag, Newtonian flight mode. Make sure you start to decelerate before your destination, or you may not like the arrival!
    - Renamed modules and reorganized the database that holds the modules - this may break all previously built ships.
    - Normalized all mass ranges based on size tier - this will change once we begin balancing.
    Size 1 - 10m, Size 2 - 20m, Size 3 - 40m, Size 4 - 80m, Size 5 - 160m /per module
    - Normalized all subsystem slots based on size tier - this will change once we begin balancing.
    Size 1 - 2x2, Size 2 - 3x3, Size 3 - 4x4, Size 4 - 5x5, Size 5 - 6x6 /per module
    Addition
    - Weapons Manager - default key “G”
    - Turrets can now be fired at targets that have been ‘locked’ keys 1 - 0 mirror the weapons groups, pressing these key will issue an attack order shift+# will issue a cancel attack order to all weapons in that group (weapons may be assigned to multiple groups) Size 3 and higher weapons may not fire just yet, the conduit system needs to be overhauled, right now they are so big, they are not getting power.
    - Module - Size 3 Bridge
    - Module - Size 4 Bridge
    - Module - Size 5 Bridge
    - Modules - size 3 versions of all size 2 hulls, engines and weapons
    - Modules - Size 1 versions of all size 2 hulls, engines and weapons
    - Modules - Size 4 versions of all size 2 hulls, engines and weapons
    - Modules - Size 5 versions of all size 2 hulls, engines and weapons
    - SubSystems menu (does not function yet)
    - SubSystem inventory per module (does not function yet)
    - By popular demand Cockpit view! While in mouse flight zoom all the way in to enter cockpit view.
    - Asteroids are now targetable / attackable! Watch out though, when they explode the chunks can cause other asteroids to explode as well! The particle effect and sound is placeholder for now.
    Fixed
    - Base build block should no longer disappear if there are no other blocks in the shipyard
    - GUI quality will no longer degrade with overall texture quality on lower settings.
    Work In Progress
    - Weapon Systems
    - Ship Modules
    - Sub Systems
    - User Interface

Enjoy!
    Last edited by LumberingTroll; 08-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Obscure Node
    I find it a bit strange that this game has not gotten much attention. Procedural-world Freelancer-alike where you can build your own ship? Sign me up!

I really like the visual style on the ship modules, and I'm getting a good vibe from the combat video that was posted. Flying through the exploding debris looks really cool and I think this will look fantastic as the scale increases and content matures.

And I think the concept of a crew is absolutely great! Ideally it would recreate the feel from Mount & Blade, albeit in a sci-fi setting. I love the idea of gallivanting around in the universe with my onboard gang as we endure emergently generated derring-do.

A sincere good luck to the team! I very much hope you reach your funding goal.

Thanks for the reply turnspoke! Last week we released 0.0.18, and later today we are releasing 0.0.19, which includes the combat you've seen in the weapons test video. John mentioned he would have Adam do an article on us today, cant wait to see it!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Lesser Hivemind Node frightlever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turnspoke View Post
    I find it a bit strange that this game has not gotten much attention. Procedural-world Freelancer-alike where you can build your own ship? Sign me up!
    I don't think it's THAT surprising. There are a lot of games on Kickstarter that are closer to completion than this, and therefore have more to show. Concentrating so much on the ship designer seems like a back-asswards way to make a game, in my opinion - look how well that worked out for Spore and Dark Spore.

Network Hub
    Seemed to workout well for Kerbal space program. Until v0.12 building a rocket or makeshift space plane was the hight of it's gameplay.

My problem with Kinetic Void has been that everything other than the ship building has been discussed in generic or nebulous terms. With nothing of the long term game fleshed out I find myself wondering why I need to back a game that appears to want to merge KSP with Starfarer when I've already backed those games.

Perhaps when the developer has nailed down how the diplomacy, trading, combat and interstellar travel will play out I'll take another look. It could still be amazing.

I posted this weeks update lastnight, it can be downloaded now, and here is our weekly dev video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcsw_i40Qk

@Xune something to keep in mind, we have only been actively developing this game for 17 weeks now. and we are only three guys that cant all work on it full time yet. If you read through some of my Kickstarter updates, 6 and 7 specifically, I detail a lot more about gameplay and our flight model.

@flightleaver our shipdesigner is a core part of our ships, every game that allows you to customize a ship so far has been cosmetic at best, you cant do this in Kinetic Void, every module has a purpose, and stats, what isn't exposed yet is our Sub-systems if you watch some of our earlier development videos I show them, basically the modules them selves are empty containers, used to hold the sub-systems, the engine for example is nothing without the mechanics that make it, which are represented by the sub-systems in the form of thrust, forward, vertical, horizontal, and roll. Another system your not seeing right now is our conduit system, each module uses the nearest connection node and links them, this froms a conduit, power from the reactors, energy from the capacitors, and crew access different modules of the ship through these, if there is a chain of modules [X][Y][Z] and y is disabled, all connections are severed unless the resources can find another path, this is very important to the strategy of designing a ship, and is in game right now. These mechanics are integral, but not flashy, so last week we worked on combat instead of exposing the systems.
    Last edited by LumberingTroll; 22-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.

very cool, had no clue :)

Obscure Node
    I actually have a question: Is the sizing of the different ship classes final? I feel that you hit Dreadnought level fairly quickly if you're building a larger ship, and frigates look more like heavy fighters really.

Regarding the simulated sub-systems: Great! I think that coupled with crew will be an amazing, immersive experience. I really really hope you get your funds.

Finally, wanted to show off a ship I made:

Anyone else who built something they'd like to share?
    Last edited by turnspoke; 24-05-2012 at 08:42 PM.