Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Yeah, I have to completely agree with Nalano on this one. They signed an agreement that would let the publisher fuck them, and then they got fucked. It sucks, but what else did they expect?

When it comes to contracts, expect the worst possible outcome from said contract and either make changes until you're happy or don't sign it.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Its called heroes 6, I thought 4 was probably the best... I honestly have no idea who has been developing them at any given time.
    1-4: New World Computing (i.e. JVC, though I'm not sure if he was on #4)
    5: Nival Interactive
    6: Black Hole Entertainment.

Its called heroes 6, I thought 4 was probably the best... I honestly have no idea who has been developing them at any given time.
    Nope. 3 is the best, 4 is a hellspawned abomination and 5 is just 3 with 3d graphics. Haven't played 6 because UbiDRM

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    Nope. 3 is the best, 4 is a hellspawned abomination and 5 is just 3 with 3d graphics. Haven't played 6 because UbiDRM
    Just looked on GoG, dont think I ever played 4 actually.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Just looked on GoG, dont think I ever played 4 actually.
    Don't.10char

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    4 is all right, really. It was the first one with Every Unit Should Have An Interesting Ability, which was a Good Thing.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The Pirate campaign was incredibly well-written in 4.

Game-balance wasn't a Thing back then.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was enjoying dicking around the map so much in the pirate campaign that when I finally encountered the actual AI enemies they had zillions of troops and I had no chance. That was sort of annoying.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Perhaps, but then there's The Settlers 7, which was DRM-crippled, technically a mess and a strange mix between traditional The Settlers games and The Settlers 6. Related Designs largely phoned it in with Anno 2070 (not that it's much of a bad thing), but like 1404 before it there's been a lot of kerfuffle over the DRM.
    I think in Anno's case the game would be far worse without the online features. Though of course it's hard to complain about free content.
    Settlers is quite apt since like Heroes, both were basically franchises which had seen the last couple of games flop. BlueByte simply shifted their target audience which seems to have worked quite successfully for them. BH didn't, which was guaranteed to fail (half the audience wanted a clone of HoMM III, the other half complain bitterly when given a clone of HoMM III).

Anno 2070 had its online features well integrated, but it's not worked too well in the "real world" because of the frequent and lengthy server maintenance periods, and the restriction of certain features in 'Offline Mode'. Related Designs did a good job with it, and I think it's definitely got a high quality of polish to it (well, considering how little truly changed from 1404, one can perhaps expect that).

As for The Settlers, I think 5 really was a low point. I've heard mixed things, but never that it's a "traditional" Settlers game. VI was more like an RTS than anything else, but there were some interesting mechanics and features there (such as controlling when church sermons happened, and letting your Settlers have a dance at the town square) but it was too... 'lite' for a Settlers game. VII was a return to the complexity, but it would have worked better without the DRM, the bloated menu with all its tie-in buttons and with a more efficient and stable engine.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    5 was virtually a pure RTS. VI brought the settlement management back in, but it was more like they were adding that to the RTS layer than the other way around. I wouldn't say it's less complex as such; the economy system is slightly more simplistic but the troop management and battle system is considerably more advanced.
    VII works fine for me and is a good return to form. The tie in buttons I suspect are part of the new marketing. I get the feeling they're aiming for the kind of crowd that like twitter and facebook integration (which is likely why they spent so much time on the multiplayer side of things too).

To be honest, after what King's Bounty and especially Armored Princess showed us, I have an incredibly hard time getting exciting about anything Heroes-related again - apart from the writing, and that was really most excellent in the 4th part (even if everything else was not really good).

But the Armored Princess combat mechanics are just SO much fun....
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    To be honest, after what King's Bounty and especially Armored Princess showed us, I have an incredibly hard time getting exciting about anything Heroes-related again - apart from the writing, and that was really most excellent in the 4th part (even if everything else was not really good).

But the Armored Princess combat mechanics are just SO much fun....
    Katauri really, really knocked it out of the park with Armored Princess in particular. Not so much Crossworlds, but AP was absolutely superb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    1. Heroes IV music is better than Heroes 5 and Heroes 6, and on par with earlier games. The snow theme has been licensed for use in 2 other games !

2. Heroes IV campaign stories are best in the whole serries.

Selected music:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNtmef_c-Y (Snow theme)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zef6dARg0 (Title screen; the only HOMM game with decent title screen music !)

My two favorite combat tracks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ym5m8twHBU
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBsUXGqzDJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0GYyEvhec (Underground music. Strange, but fits very well)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyQF8lmRJdo (Volcanic)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJK5oBEvI08 (Mountain Song - actually part of the grasslands medley)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vJY6079YvI (Necropolis)

In both areas H4 easily beats H5 and H6. It's not even a contest. It's broken in many other regards, and AI is 'lobotomized' in developers' own words, but Heroes IV is like a very good audio CD + several good short stories.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    1. Heroes IV music is better than Heroes 5 and Heroes 6, and on par with earlier games. The snow theme has been licensed for use in 2 other games !
    That's actually another point where Armored Princess grabs the trophy and then runs away with it to the other side of the world. I played that game like 40 hours and NEVER once had the desire to switch off the in-game music. That happens very, very rarely.

It's funny. In the strange wastelands of the internet, developers get all the credit and publishers get all the blame but you never see the inverse.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    It's funny. In the strange wastelands of the internet, developers get all the credit and publishers get all the blame but you never see the inverse.
    Uh, what? For a recent example, see Obsidian on New Vegas. It's only NOW that people are realizing Bethesda is a business like any other publisher.

Anyways, I'm continuing to boycott Ubisoft to the point where I don't even play demos of their games. Been doing so since... Assassin's Creed 1? Whatever their first game to have "always online activation" was.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    As an official fan-boy of Paradox, I beg to differ.