Activated Node

Kickstarter for Moebius - Point&click like Gabriel Knight, by the creator of GK

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-2012-2013-csg

So I thought a new thread could be needed for this now, since the kickstarter project has changed a bit after backers got the chance to vote among three candidates.

Jane Jensens next adventure game will be Moebius, a true 2D point&cklick adventure in the same style as Gabriel Knight.

$16 and you get the game.

$30 - same as above + betatesting, music, monthly wallpaper.

$50 - same as above + further betatestning, weekly art updates, monthly video updates, pdf´s of design bibles, Gabriel Knight 1+2 novels as ebooks and possibly a second full game*.
    And the game:

It’s official! Pinkerton Road’s first adventure game will be Moebius. Our early backers voted on 3 concepts and Moebius won by a strong margin. So what’s it all about?

Story: Malachi Rector is an antiquities dealer who hunts down artifacts all over the world. After his upscale Manhattan store is destroyed in a fire, he's hired by billionaire Amble Dexter to investigate a series of events and document them in his meticulous way.

The first event is the death of a young woman in Venice. She was found hanging from a bridge. As Rector investigates her life, compiling facts for his dossier, he realizes that the beautiful and talented young woman -- and the interrupted path of her life -- had great hidden significance. It appears that Amble Dexter and his associates are playing with the fabric of life in a way Rector never imagined was possible. Even he, Rector himself, is part of a larger pattern. He must figure out who is doing what, and whether their intentions are for good or ill, before he can decide if he will play his pre-scripted role -- or try to change the outcome. This is a metaphysical thriller ala Dante’s Equation and Gabriel Knight.

Art Style & Mechanic: 2D, graphic novel look and feel (like an updated GK1). It will be a 3rd person adventure game with a point-and-click mechanic and lots of sophisticated puzzles. It will have two modes: Casual Mode (with hints, a hotspot finder and a simplified interface) and True Adventure (more challenging -- like the Gabriel Knight games).

Size: Moebius will be about the size of GK1 – 50 rooms with 10-20 hours of gameplay (depending on your level and gameplay mode).

Moebius Concept Art:

* We originally said that if we raised $600K or more, we would be able to fund two games this year. It is looking more likely that we will raise between $300-500K on kickstarter so we are focusing on MOEBIUS.

However, there is a good chance that we will do another game with the studio this year – either if this campaign does better than expected or if we have a game funded by an outside source (a good possibility). If that happens, our FULL CSG MEMBERS ($50 and up) will get a second game this year. However, we have tried to make the goodie tiers a great value with just one game. Our full CSG members will also get (for sure) Lola and Lucy’s Big Adventure, a kid’s e-book Robert and Jane produced this past year, due out summer 2012.
    Last edited by Yachmenev; 18-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Activated Node
    They have managed to reach $220 000 out of the $300 000 so it´s beginning to look like a success. The $500 pledge tier where you get an original black&white sketch from the Gabriel Knight 1 development gave it a good push.

Jane Jensen also posted an update on how she thinks the kickstarter campaign is going so far. It´s still 26 days to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Jensen
    Hi, All —

Yes, it would be nice to redo the KS video with footage from Moebius but that material does not exist yet. We just green lit the concept and it takes time. Also, we are hoping to be able to make another announcement before the campaign ends and THAT will warrant a new video for sure. Since I don’t want to redo it twice, we’re waiting to see if that will happen. As it stands now, we have the newer videos available just under the ‘official’ one. We’ll see! Could be exciting!

About the campaign — It would be great to have more #s of backers, but we have had lots and lots of PR — and will continue to have new articles coming out. It is not that people don’t know about the campaign. If we have fewer backers than, say, Wasteland or LSL, I think part of that is because we are not offering a sequel to a known game (like GK) but a totally new IP. Some people will have faith in any “Jane Jensen” game, but for many, they will wait for reviews and a demo. Or they just want GK and nothing else. That’s their right.

Honestly, given the fact that it’s a totally new game, I think we are doing very well. It looks like we will reach $300K, we have really gotten word of the studio out there in a big way, and we have established our core CSG members. I will take that! This is just the start for us, step #1. It is not the full measure of our studio or even of our first year.

After the ks is over, people will be able to sign up for the CSG on our site (though they won’t get all the tier goodies). So we will continue to grow this over time.

I realize that there are things we could have done better, and things we can continue improve on in the remaining days. But, to sum up — suggestions are good, ideas to get new backers to the page are good, but please don’t fret! All is well.

Jane
    http://pinkertonroad.com/topic/messa...rter-campaign/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    RPS interview later today according to Twitter.

It would be good if they could double the target. Maybe that's too ambitious.

I know this style of game is pretty old school, but I think what Jane Jensen does has a unique style. It isn't perfect, at times it's cheesy, but it's great escapism and the characterisation is better than most. In terms of gaming, she's an important part of the heritage.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by glimpse fade yelp View Post
    It would be good if they could double the target. Maybe that's too ambitious.

I know this style of game is pretty old school, but I think what Jane Jensen does has a unique style. It isn't perfect, at times it's cheesy, but it's great escapism and the characterisation is better than most. In terms of gaming, she's an important part of the heritage.
    She will probably not reach the double figure, but apparently she more or less confirmed that they will do two games during the first season. Agree about what you say about her games.

Activated Node
    Almost at $250k. It will probably make it, but you people should be ashamed at not supporting this. Stop being nerds that only support old RPG names and stuff like that! :) (yes, I also pledged money to Wasteland 2.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachmenev View Post
    Almost at $250k. It will probably make it, but you people should be ashamed at not supporting this. Stop being nerds that only support old RPG names and stuff like that! :) (yes, I also pledged money to Wasteland 2.....)
    I think it's come at a bad time -- kickstarter saturation point. If it had been one of the early ones I think they would have raised double. It should make its target, but there's no guarantee, and it seems to be slow. This has to be among the most worthy out there, and some of the rewards are amazing.

Heck, even a $16 pledge gets you a game, if I recall correctly. Which is pretty damn cheap for a new game anyway.

Their latest update says that they'll be releasing 2 games this cycle, instead of 1 (Moebius). Additionally, there are some changes to the reward tiers. $100 now gets you the big box version of Moebius, alongside a "Best of the Year" music CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Krikey! View Post
    Their latest update says that they'll be releasing 2 games this cycle, instead of 1 (Moebius). Additionally, there are some changes to the reward tiers. $100 now gets you the big box version of Moebius, alongside a "Best of the Year" music CD.
    That latest video really raises my curiousity. I wonder what that 'mystery game' is. Sounds exciting. Have upped my pledge.

Activated Node
    11 days left, and has passed it´s goal with $12 000 now.

New concept art has been released also.

Activated Node
    $420 00 reached, and less than two hours left of the kickstarter. Last chance for those who thought about a pledge.

If they reach $450 000 they will include more dialogue and and put more resources to the main theme.