Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

DayZ (Zombie Survival, Persistant World)

http://www.dayzmod.com/

The good news is DayZ is a really interesting zombie survival game, with persistant characters and inventory. The bad news is its actually a mod for ARMA 2, and you will need both ARMA 2 + ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead to play it (aka ARMA 2: Combined Ops.)

The mod is currently in Alpha, there are many bugs, the servers might go down 4 times an hour for updates (or stay up for hours, it depends), and you will probably get frustrated with something at some point, no matter who you are.

But, and there is a but, despite those issues, and despite being early in development there is something really compelling about this mod. It might just be that zombie survival game you've always wanted.

You start out at a random spawn point with a revolver, and some basic supplies. You will have to scavenge better weapons, ammo, food and fluids, and medical supplies to survive. All of those things will be found in enterable buildings, where you will of course also encounter zombies.

For me this creates a very interesting tension, whereby you would be best served by staying away from those populous areas, but really you need what is there and have to risk yourself to get it.

Here is Prt 1 of a fun video series on youtube:

Its suggested you use http://www.mediafire.com/dayz to dl the files. Instructions in the readme :)
    Last edited by Web Cole; 18-04-2012 at 03:26 PM.

It just so happens that we've got a fairly hefty ArmA 2: CO community here (one that keeps growing by the week, but I digress).

I for one am quite interested in giving this a shot.

Got any links?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeap something like Escape with Zombies would be amazing! I am interested as well in trying this out.

Apparently this is by one of the BI devs. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ial-Mod)-Alpha

Finally I can put my copy of ArmA 2 CO to some use. Drab military manshoots aren't my thing no matter the community, so I can at least start it up and play it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    ARPS sessions are anything but drab! You should give them a try.

Harlander, we should get some of the others in on this and try it out. I ll post it in the forums there.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Got any links?
    Apologies, I knew I forgot something. Linked in the OP now ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Currently watching the videos. Part 2 is even funnier.

I am so completely down to play this.

(removed due to obsolesence)
    Last edited by Harlander; 20-04-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Installing now. How do you get it working with the Steam version? Argh. I'd love to play with the British RPSArma guys; it's so much fun but it's far too late for me in Australia.

You need to a run commands to the end of the target path in the shortcut, but you can't run Arma2.exe without it having to go through Steam.
    Last edited by tomeoftom; 18-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by tomeoftom View Post
    Installing now. How do you get it working with the Steam version? Argh. I'd love to play with the British RPSArma guys; it's so much fun but it's far too late for me in Australia.

You need to a run commands to the end of the target path in the shortcut, but you can't run Arma2.exe without it having to go through Steam.
    You can add commands to the Steam shortcut, just right-click it a select properties > set launch options (AFAIK this should work the same as adding them to a Windows shortcut).

Make noise in the RPS Steam group chat some time, you might be surprised by the times of day you can find ARPS people to play ARMA2 with...
    Clips are fully loaded, and then blood floods the lawn

Activated Node
    Im so up for that

Network Hub
    There is a rumour that cars will be going back in today, and that tents will also be working ;)

Is it just me who gets an absolutely awful connection to mediafire? I wish they'd just use Armaholic.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    1. How do I install this?
    Here is the instructions from the readme, copy-pasta:

Download the files from www.mediafire.com/dayz (Check for updates as well)
    Created a folder in your ArmA II program files location: (C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2) and call it @dayz
    Inside that folder create another called folder called Addons
    Use a program such as 7zip to unzip the rar files you downloaded.
    Copy the unzipped files in your @dayz/Addons folder
    On an ArmA II shortcut in the target line add (After the quotation marks): -nosplash -mod=@dayz;
    Load up that shortcut.
    Find the DayZ Zombie RPG server, login and Play!
    If you get stuck somewhere feel free to ask in the thread :)

2. Do I need some sort of communication program to talk to others players or is it all provided in-game?
    There are in-game voice and text comms, not sure what the defaults are. There might also be some teamspeak servers to join, but they are optional.

3. What does persistent world/characters mean?
    There is something like 200 km2 of Chernarus to explore. Currently, persistent world means it will save the position of tents you put down. In the near future it should also save the position of any vehicles you acquire. It will also save the position of your character when you log off the server, and it will save the state of your health, and all your items (e.g. weapons, medical supplies, food etc).

Well, I say it will, it should. Several of us have had issues with it not saving our characters (if you re-log onto the server a few times it should remember you.) The database that holds all of this information is apparently in New Zealand, so I think there are some issues caused by that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Thanks!

"On an ArmA II shortcut in the target line add (After the quotation marks): -nosplash -mod=@dayz;"

The hell does that mean? Is it talking about an ArmA II desktop shortcut? Target line?
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 19-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    I think Mediafire intentionally offers suck connections.

EDIT: OH MY GOD THIS LOOKS AWESOME. I may have to buy Arma for it.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 19-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Network Hub
    Thanks!

"On an ArmA II shortcut in the target line add (After the quotation marks): -nosplash -mod=@dayz;"

The hell does that mean? Target line?
    Not sure exactly where your at, so I'll go back a few steps.

Find your ARMA 2 folder, which for me is:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

Find the shortcut (Think I used Arma2oa) > Right Click > Send To > Desktop

Go to your desktop, find the shortcut and:

Right Click > Properties > You should see the target line with a string of text. Then you just have to add that -nosplash -mod=@dayz after the quotation marks in the target line.

And probably rename the shortcut to "Dayz" or something on your desktop, so you can tell it apart.