Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Bah, I caught an infection after being out in the rain too long. One of my previous selves got killed by some zombies and I was out looking for the corpse so I could get my stuff back, when it started lashing rain. The coughing is bloody annoying.

I do think it's a bit stupid that your temperature doesn't increase when indoors, I was waiting for the rain to subside for the best part of ten minutes and my temperature didn't increase one jot. I think it might be a good idea because then you could move from shelter to shelter by letting your temperature 'recharge'.

I'm gradually making a life for myself as a hermit in the woods, raiding nearby towns in the dead of night for supplies. I just found a knife and matches too, so I can make fires and cook meat now as well.

Activated Node
    I never played Arma before, so I tried Arma 2 free today and I have to say I hated it. I did like the actual gunplay but that's about it. The game's kind of a mess. Was gonna pick it up for the Day Z mod but now I think I'll just wait until somebody copies the mod for another game, one that is a bit more user friendly.

I liked Arma2 but uninstalled it for Skyrim. Uninstalled Skyrim to install Arrowhead and this mod and what do you know I haven't even been able to get onto a server that wasn't totally dark. Bit hard to judge if the hype is worth it but this mod sure doesn't seem to be ready for how popular it is.
    If you make it to "Requesting data from server" chances are you are probably going to make it into game
    Yeah, right!

Think I'm gonna have to let this wait and grow up a bit. It hasn't saved my progression in the last three sessions, so each time I've lost hours of progress. Also keeps spawning the character to totally random locations, places where I haven't been to with it. Getting to a server usually takes half an hour or so, since the first waiting for server response tends to end up in the debug forest. There's a lot to like here, but it just isn't working well enough yet.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Obscure Node
    OK so played last night on some NY and Chicago servers. I did OK I guess but I just get so confused as to where is the best place to go. Most people were pretty civil, though one dick did say "play the tutorial noob" when I asked them if it was normal that my mouse glitched out and didn't fire my gun (I had played the tutorial anyway).

Think I'm gonna try using some of the maps on the internet to help me look for stuff. Is this considered a faux pas in the Day Z community?

I think most of the community knows Chernarus like their pockets. You can also just go to the editor and place a helicopter and fly around the place. Though being lost is one of the best things about DayZ imo.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    I never played Arma before, so I tried Arma 2 free today and I have to say I hated it. I did like the actual gunplay but that's about it. The game's kind of a mess. Was gonna pick it up for the Day Z mod but now I think I'll just wait until somebody copies the mod for another game, one that is a bit more user friendly.
    You're gonna have to wait a lot then, as the developer of the mod is a BIS employer (the company that makes Arma). Also, don't knock it yet, cause in Dayz you aren't using most of the cluttered interface you have to use in single player or other mods of Arma, as you only have to use the gear inventory.

Most people use out of game maps (and the in game map is pretty poor anyway). http://avidblur.com/arma2/ this is a good one and this http://rien-ici.com/dayzmap.jpg has most of the major loot spawn locations. I would always advise staying out of the 'starting' cities, you will get killed for your beans. The best plan is to head out into the wooded areas in the south and east of the map and head to the northern airfield and Stary when you are more confident. I think one of the best places for new people to go is the airfield at Krasnostav (the very north east of the map), its quite remote so not many people go there but it has 2 military grade spawn locations for high end weapons and a supermarket for survival gear and food.

Obscure Node
    Just found this map, its pretty good too http://teamfackin.com/moocow/dayz/map/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    @Elltot: Wow, that is a pretty darn sweet map! *bookmarks* thanks.

My latest comic tells the last minutes of one of my characters. You'll find it here if you're into such. Well actually you find it there in any case.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Elltot View Post
    Just found this map, its pretty good too http://teamfackin.com/moocow/dayz/map/
    Thanks for the link, the well documented dear stands just netted me an AK-74 with Kobra optics.

They must have updated it very recently, I looked at that map 2 days ago and it was very incomplete.

Camp RPS...

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    The PvP aspect is a unique aspect but ultimately it makes the game too annoying to play. Naively I expect people to be roleplaying to an extent. Kill someone to steal their food or their awesome gun. Instead what you get is guys perched somewhere with a sniper rifle killing off people who only have starting gear, never bothering to check their bodies. The people pretending this is like a glorified deathmatch are ruining it.

Activated Node
    You're definitely right about that Stacey, the bean wars in the coast are annoying. However, as you go up north, I don't think there's a valid reason to not shoot anyone. The risks are greater since you're far away from the spawn, people generally have better gear, and most of all, anyone that you spare can come back and bite you in the ass. I think that way, maybe that's why people think I'm so bloodthirsty (I'm Calculon).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There need to be good reasons not to shoot someone in my opinion. The benefit of shooting them is obvious, you get the thrill of the kill and to steal all their loot. There needs to be a counterbalance to this, personally I'll always shoot on sight now. If another survivor is stupid enough not to shoot me first, I'll shoot them when they let down their guard. I want their gear to save me the time it'll take to scrounge it all myself.

I think I've had enough of Day Z for the moment though. It's costing me too much per death and my recent costly deaths haven't been nice legit ones. I want the tent coding fixed, I want to be able to create a hidden stash to horde excess goodies. I'll still lose all my carried loot when I die, but it'll cushion the blow and give me something to start up again with.

wow it got an update?.. some change log i seen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Yup, quite a big update, and bandit skins on low humanity are gone forever, lost to the depths of Oblivion. Also, female survivors! Someone alert Althea!

Changelog for your perusal:

Code:
    DayZ Build 1.6.0 Rolling Update UPDATE : 27 MAY 2012 Affected addons: * dayz_code 1.6 * dayz_equip 1.2.5 * dayz_weapons 1.1.2 * dayz 1.2.6 * dayz_sfx 1.1.2 Developer's Note: * To collect firewood, you can either find it in loot piles, or go into a forest and use the hatchet (gear > Right Click). I will expand this mechanic but its enough for now. * You get a ONE TIME OFFER to change your player gender! * Only two types of new skins are available in this update, "Camo" and "Ghillie Suit" in addition to normal survivor * Skins a player is wearing are NOT lootable. * When you change skin (right click on clothing package in inventory) your old skin will appear in inventory * If you want a players skin, you will need to make them take it off first Changelog: * [FIXED] Bodies being deleted immediately (now will stay around for 15 minutes) * [FIXED] Player profiles sometimes corrupting and causing stuck in loading issues (error handling by engine) * [FIXED] Temperature listed in percent and not degrees (now displayed in degrees) * [FIXED] Loosing temperature inside vehicles (now will slowly gain or be static in vehicles) * [FIXED] ItemPainkillers popup error (no longer happens: thanks Norbert!) * [FIXED] Spawning in Ocean when switching models (player morphing optimized by TeeTime) * [FIXED] Loosing gear when switching models (player morphing optimized by TeeTime) * [FIXED] Wrong M107 is spawning on occasion (Correct one spawns) * [FIXED] Crashed heli uber-loot not spawning (does now thanks to GhostBear!) * [FIXED] Wire Fencing Kit caused graphical glitches (new model) * [FIXED] Tank Trap Kit caused graphical glitches (new model) * [FIXED] Invisible character models occuring (No longer invisible models) * [FIXED] Panic not being activated (Your character will sometimes panic) * [FIXED] Blood washout sometimes not being displayed (now will always wash out color depending on blood level) * [NEW] Hatchet for chopping wood in forests * [NEW] Wire Fencing kit model by Artyom Troshin * [NEW] Tank Trap kit model by Artyom Troshin * [NEW] Construction options moved to items in gear menu (right click wire fencing kit to use etc...) * [NEW] Hospital Loot Spawn probabilities changed * [NEW] Players can choose to be a female survivor (once only per CD-Key) * [NEW] Heat packs for increasing temperature in an emergency * [NEW] Bandit Skin transition for low humanity is removed * [NEW] Players will receive an error message if the server they are on is running an incorrect HIVE version

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    * If you want a players skin, you will need to make them take it off first
    Last edited by Xune; 27-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.