Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...zs-grim-world/
    Nice article on role of "Medics" that people have take on. Neat.

Need to get playing again (been 2-3 months)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Been getting back into this lately, since a few friends on other games discovered it. Not that the mod has particularly improved since then overall, but the collective knowledge available to circumvent the various frustrations is a lot better.

On my last life that ended yesterday afternoon, I was a murderous little bastard. 5 murders, all in calculated cold blood against basically helpless opponents.

The first two were the sweetest; I was raiding the airfield's south barracks after a recent server restart, so naturally it hadn't been looted yet. As I entered the door I heard two sets of gunshots closing from the north, no doubt survivors with similar intent to myself. I could of course have simply given the place a quick once over then legged it, but where's the fun in that? I closed all the doors and shut myself inside the bathroom (the only room without a window), then waited patiently. Sure enough, the gunshots get closer and closer. Then footsteps, they're right outside, I stare down my FN FAL's ironsights at the door. Sure enough, the door opens, two survivors are standing right there, no doubt eagerly anticipating the valuable loot behind the door. No such luck today, instead they get a fully mag from my rifle, both dead before they can so much as grasp what's happening.

The third murder was almost an execution. Three friends and I were approaching Berezino from the west, moving fairly close to the road, safety in numbers and all that. Suddenly a call goes up, another survivor has been spotted moving parallel to us along the forest's edge, perhaps 300 metres away. All of us were packing assault rifles of one sort or another, all four of us opened fire and peppered the poor sod with bullets, his only crime being unlucky enough to wander close enough to be a potential threat.

The last two made me feel like a hunter stalking his prey. I was searching for crashed helicopters near Polana when I hear gunshots from the town. Climbing up onto the nearby forested hill, I look for signs of activity in the town. Sure enough the zombies are riled up and charging around, but their erratic pathfinding makes precision impossible. A few seconds later though, a flicker of movement in a window, a survivor. I hid in a bush (by this point I had a ghillie suit) and kept a watch on the building, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Then another survivor in a ghillie suit dashes out of the building and into the supermarket across the street. Fair enough, I can be patient, he's got to exit that building sooner or later, maybe then he'll feel safer and present a less evasive target. It takes a good 5 minutes, but he finishes up his business in the supermarket and exits through the front door and sure enough, he feels safe, he stops for a second to coordinate with his friend. I promptly educated him as to how thin an illusion safety is. A few minutes of silence pass, I patiently wait and watch the corpse, confident the other survivor only knows vaguely which direction I fired from. Then his apparently suicidally inexperienced friend emerges from an alleyway and dashes towards the corpse, crouching to attempt recovery of some of the better equipped player's valuables. Another two precise shots, another corpse to loot, another newbie educated on the value of patience.

So, yeah, I've been very much operating under a shoot on sight policy and actively hunting anyone operating in my area. This is what being a bandit means, screw all that newbie hunting on the coast. This is why I'm forever telling my friends playing the game to avoid having to shoot anywhere near towns, you might as well send up a flare broadcasting your location.

In other (happier) news, today my little group found and repaired a UAZ, stashing it back at a little remote camp we've established. Suddenly the time taken for us to cross the map is halved and we can store absurd quantities of high value gear.

Am I the only person who plays this game trying to help other survivors? The only time I kill someone is in self-defense, and vigilante justice of course. But if I see a newbie scavenging I usually give them supplies; me and my friends travel around in a Scavenger I and we usually have a surplus of the basics.
    But then the people we help end up being dicks; the other day my friend was transfusing this guy and he shot him... Stupid move considering the 2 other well-armed guys with him. Needless to say we killed him and his friend. We actually ran over his friend with the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Am I the only person who plays this game trying to help other survivors?
    You might want to check this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...zs-grim-world/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Am I the only person who plays this game trying to help other survivors?
    I once travelled the length of the entire map just to give a stranger a spare m16 and accessories. He'd never seen that kind of hardware before so I knew how much it meant. A few days later I met him at the construction site and found he had done the same thing, sharing with a group of 4 newbies which I led to a possible car site. To me at least, helping people has always been a bigger thrill than killing them.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I think it's great that there are both kinds of players. Though I suspect the numbers are somewhat skewed towards cold-blooded murder...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Though I suspect the numbers are somewhat skewed towards cold-blooded murder...
    They are, because they think everyone else is. I'm usually friendly unless someone is seriously endangering my life or my loot, I've only murdered three people in the month or two that I've played and have been murdered maybe ten times. I've only murdered one person 'just because', one was out of desperation as I was out of supplies and in the red on food and drink (and he was heading to a deer stand I was going to check out) and the most recent was just out of anger because he led a train of zeds to me while I was up a fire station tower.

I'd love to see a Red Cross-style clan of medics in the game, that would be awesome, but seeing as how the Geneva Convention doesn't exactly apply to Day Z it would end in a lot of death.

I've had nothing but bad luck with DayZ's non-dead population since I started. A few people on the RPS Mumble channel have been helpful in an auditory way, but I've never met any of them physically in the world. The few survivors I have bumped into have ventilated me before I even realise they're there. What is the gain in killing us empty-handed lost souls?

I may have played DayZ for a few sessions now, but I still consider myself very much a newbie; I only found my first non-hatchet weapon a couple of days ago.

My true story of woe ended abrupty yesterday when I was actually armed: I was wandering the wilderness heading what I presumed was North-East to Berezino when I saw an odd blob on a hillside quite some way to my left. The server was empy and I bravely made my way towards it, only to realise it was a downed helicopter. Suddenly, two soldier zombies were chasing me down and I wildly swung my hatchet. They both fell without me even being scratched. The other soldier zombies staggered in all directions allowing me to safely make my way to the helicopter without being spotted. Sitting on the ground was a DMR!

With this precious weapon, my first ever gun, I ran to Berezino, snuck into the supermarket and hopital and filled up on food, pepsi, blood bags and morphine. I then ran into the wilderness and survived, alone, for quite some time. Life was good.

Then I made my first mistake. I thought I would try to find a bigger bag, or some DMR rounds, and made my way to the Airfield. It was early dawn when I arrived and I'd suffered a few zombie attacks on the way. The server was once again fairly empty and, after carefully scanning my surroundings, I creeped into one of the hangars. Crack! Ouch! I hid. Crack! Agh! I died.

I haven't been able to bring myself back to Chernarus since. It's a hostile place where the zombies are more merciful than my fellow non-dead.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I started out being fairly friendly to other players, at least leaving them alone. But a few incidents of being shot on sight later and it's hard to see the upside to it. If I shoot first, I don't give the other guy the chance to do the same. Of course, this does propagate this stance across the player base, but oh well.

Activated Node
    Might be a bit off-topic, but here goes..

I'm actually starting to feel bad for Bohemia. Sure, they are making alot of money now, but the sales are not for a game they made - a military sim.

I know I would feel a bit confused. You make this great game, but noone buys it for the game you made, they buy it just for a specific mod. If I was a big publisher I probably wouldn't care, I mean money is money, but for a small studio it sure must feel a bit sucky. Considering they are making Arma 3, wich will continue on the same path...

What do you think?
    Last edited by tomme25; 01-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme25 View Post
    I'm actually starting to feel bad for Bohemia. Sure, they are making alot of money now, but the sales are not for a game they made - a military sim.

What do you think?
    ARPS, the RPS ArmA community (forum link in my sig), have, without a doubt, seen an increase in the number of players attending our sessions since the DayZ explosion. Similar with the FOLK sessions we are aligned with, and for groups like ShackTac (last I heard, Dyslexci was saying they were getting around 150 people for a session - ARPS/FOLK aren't getting that much... around 40-60 a night). So, although people initially may have bought Combined Ops for DayZ, a lot of them are finding their way into ArmA communities, and are engaging with the 'game' that Bohemia made. In this case, DayZ has brought people into ArmA itself.

That being said though, I really don't think this would be putting Bohemia's nose out of joint at all. They've always made their games 'open' and moddable, and have always been keen to see people doing something with their engine/game, and then other people playing that. I always remember this quote from a BiS Dev on their forums, in response to someone saying that this is the way to play ArmA, and all other ways are wrong, heresy etc.... the Dev responded that it's funny people still think like that. They understand there are many, many different ways to play their game. They understand that their game/engine will be twisted, changed, modified, transformed... sometimes into something radically different or unrecognisable. But they encourage and embrace all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Loads of people bought HL only to play CS. It's not a problem at all, it just means that people who wouldn't buy the game otherwise buys the game. Win-win.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dayz Prequel mod.

http://www.dayzorigins.com/index.php
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/28/392...o-bohemia-dayz

Taviana Map
    Buildings with full interior
    Sanctuary of sorts as the outbreak is just beginning
    4 Hr day/night cycle

I might give this a try just due to the fact of the day night cycle. Playing at nights lot was not enjoyable in DayZ. Being able to play during the day/night cycle and getting that chance to hunker down and survive through the night is much more meaningful gameplay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    He even went so far to steal DayZ logo without asking lol.

Network Hub
    Looks better than Dayz so I cannot wait, dunno why people get angry, there are loads of great mods out there of other games like Black Mesa, Goldeneye Source, Stargate etc etc. Dean Hall said he would be happy for people to recreate his mod in ArmA3 so I cannot see him getting angry that someone is modding his mod to change the experience.

Now if someone started charging for it, I could understand, however this is simply just a mod.....

Can't wait to play it, looks great.

Only been playing the mod for a few days, but here's a little story...

Jesus Fucking Christ. That is the most horrible thing I have ever had to do in a game. Possibly IRL.

Been playing all day with some Russian guy (who spoke English). Just going around and salvaging as much loot as we could. Weapons, ammo, food, everything, and storing it at a remote base we found. We then repaired a Ural (Russky military truck) and moved all the gear to it. So we're driving around in this thing and he says he has to go, marks my map and tells me to hide it there somewhere. I say fine and he fucks off.

It then dawns on me what a massive fucking responsibility this is. I mean there's some serious loot in this thing. Military grade weapons that are rare as hens' teeth and lots of them. And I've got to drive it 30 miles to this place. I was absolutely bricking it. I mean my heart is pounding. Within 5 minutes I hear a chopper and the fucking thing is following me, low as you like. Luckily there's no one in the gunners' seat and he loses interest after a couple of miles.

My map reading skills are shit at the best of times, but when town names are in western lettering on the map and cyrillic on the signs, I'm fucked. So I'm stopping every couple of minutes to get my bearings. During one of these moments of staring at the map in puzzlement, 3 or 4 bandits start shooting from a distant treeline. Shit myself? Yes, hard. I gun it as fast as this fucking thing will go (not very) and they have me zeroed for a full fucking minute before the gunfire peters out. Ural's may not be fast but they can take a hell of a beating. Luckily none of them managed to hit me or that would be game over and one very unhappy Russian tomorrow.

So I keep on truckin' for about another 4 miles and realise the server is about to reset. Most DayZ servers reset every two hours as the game has a howling memory leak for the majority of players. I hide the truck in some woods, save it, and log out. My heart is in my fucking mouth, I have never been so terrified in a game.

After 2 failed attempts to get back in, shitting myself that the bandits had sussed my general direction and would yomp there before I could get back in, I get back in. The Ural's still there. Nice. I climb in and check my map. Oh dear. The marker's gone. I now have no clue where I'm supposed to leave the thing.

I take it off-road, deep in to some woods, and conceal it as best I can. Chances of it being there tomorrow? Slim to none.

Fuck.

Obscure Node
    Are they still working on this since stand alone ?

I don't think so. But most of the bugs seem to have been ironed out now I feel. The melee is still rubbish, the zeds still zig-zag and the inventory sucks, though.