Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food Thread!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    I use creme fraiche as well as parmesan in the egg. Once the bacon (pancetta, if you can get it) and onion are cooked, dump the cooked, drained pasta into the pan to coat it with the bacon-y goodness. Take it off the heat and pour in the eggy, creamy, cheesy mixture, stir and serve.

Just tried my hand at a poached egg. It kind of worked... However when taking the egg out of the water it slipped once and the yolk parted a bit from the egg white (but didn't break!). Experiment successful, I would say, although next time I'll use a different vinegar (white wine vinegar was used this time) and take a wider pan / pot.

Further research is needed to reveal the precise mechanics underlying this phenomenon.
    Forum janitor in training.

The most success I've had with poached eggs was using Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's method. They came out perfectly.

"Crack the eggs into a saucer. Get a pan of water boiling, add a few drops of white wine vinegar and stir the water to create a whirlpool. Tip the eggs into the eddy, lower the heat and poach for three minutes, until the whites are set. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper."

Bonus points for any recipe that involves an eddy.

This restaurant technique sounds like it would work. It isn't really practical for less than 25 covers but might be worth a try if there's someone you really want to impress with an egg.

Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Oh balsamic vinegar why must I be your bitch.

hugs

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Just tried my hand at a poached egg. It kind of worked... However when taking the egg out of the water it slipped once and the yolk parted a bit from the egg white (but didn't break!). Experiment successful, I would say, although next time I'll use a different vinegar (white wine vinegar was used this time) and take a wider pan / pot.

Further research is needed to reveal the precise mechanics underlying this phenomenon.
    I tried poaching it today and.... well, it sunk into the pan and was cooked inside the water. At least the yolk tasted good