Page 21 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    In other TV news I gave Parks and Recreation a trial episode. Or most of one. Yeah.
    Parks and Recreation is not an easy show to get into, as the first season is at best mediocre. Near the end it seems that the producers and writers finally figured out what they wanted the show to be, and from there on in it becomes better and better. I'd definitely recommend giving it a chance beyond the first bit. Much funnier than The Office IMO.

EDIT:

Since everyone seems to be talking about Girls, I'll give it a go as well. I watched the pilot, and was thoroughly unimpressed. I didn't laugh once, though I think I may have smirked a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    Parks and Recreation is not an easy show to get into, as the first season is at best mediocre. Near the end it seems that the producers and writers finally figured out what they wanted the show to be, and from there on in it becomes better and better. I'd definitely recommend giving it a chance beyond the first bit. Much funnier than The Office IMO.
    It was actually one of the more recent episodes that I watched. There was some kind of electoral debate for the position of (I think) mayor? I never really liked Rob Lowe on The West Wing and here he seems like a cross between Ken Barbie and a Boy Scout. But yeah, the show fell as flat for me as Girls seem to have done for most folks here. :P
    Last edited by Rii; 30-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Fair enough. I will say that trying to get into any series by watching a later episode with no context is usually a recipe for failure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    It was actually one of the more recent episodes that I watched. There was some kind of electoral debate for the position of (I think) mayor? I never really liked Rob Lowe on The West Wing and here he seems like a cross between Ken Barbie and a Boy Scout. But yeah, the show fell as flat for me as Girls seem to have done for most folks here. :P
    I agree, the first season is a bit bad and the characters aren't fleshed out yet but as the shows goes on becomes way better and hilarious. It has way more interesting characters than The Office in my opinion, Ron Swanson is comedy gold.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Some wobbly line delivery in Game of Thrones of late. To be fair it's as much a problem with the script, but the better actors manage to rise above the issues there and deliver with conviction regardless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Why oh why didn't they use practical effects for the shade? It would have been so scary to see Renly's shadow move quickly and independently of the man himself. Instead we get a tar monster, except without Tim Curry's voice and the sexual singing.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Why oh why didn't they use practical effects for the shade? It would have been so scary to see Renly's shadow move quickly and independently of the man himself.
    Yes. So much better. Found it hard to explain to those who didn't read the books

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Ha nothings practical effects these days any-more, its all CGI because its cheaper. I didn't actually have a problem with it to much actually.

Well I was watching Mushi-shi, but then it up and ending 26 episodes in. It's very somber, subtle and beautiful and I'm sad to know there are no more to watch. I having withdrawal close to when I finished watching Doctor Who (and no I don't have interest in watching the original series).

Obscure Node
    I'm watching Dexter too season 6 on fx so no spoiling! Mainly American shows, Alcatraz is alright but it's getting a wee bit repetitive. Just watched the season finale of Homeland with crazy Carrie. Non serious, Would I Lie to You, Bang Goes The Theory and The Gadget Show World Tour. I don't know what i'd do without sky + (other tv recording devices are available)

BLAM. The axe has fallen (or should that be SWOOSH?)

Here's my love letter to some of this season's TV

Goodbye Alcatraz, you were okish I guess but I aint gonna miss you. Hello Community, so glad you're sticking around even though you're all but done after this last run of 13 (better than nothing!)

Toodle-pip House, here's hoping your finale isn't terrible (it will be). Yay for more Bob's Burgers which seems to be hitting its stride recently.

Congrats Fringe, I'm delighted you get a chance to give us a real ending and I know (read hope and pray) you'll deliver. Au Revoir The Finder, I never did get round to watching your official first episode and now I shalln't bother.

Bon Voyage In Plain Sight, you were awesome. Oh and hello Episodes, you snuck back onto our screens the other day and I shall be watching you later

Really Nikita? I'm shocked, a little disappointed even, as you're kinda rubbish but I still watch you (loyal bastard that I am). Thank you very much Modern Family (not that you were in doubt), gald to have some reliable easy going comedy each week.

Hurrah for Psych. I know you got renewed ages ago but I'm still happy.

And finally...

Futurama...I fucking love you...and whenever I think of you and the fact that you got uncancelled it makes my day anew. Kisses. Tim

PS QI I love you too but why were you randomly on for a couple of episodes (one of which seemed very familiar even though it supposedly wasn't a repeat) and then off again?

I hate Daenerys Targaryen.

I hate Daenerys Targaryen.
    I thought she was fabulous in season 1. In season 2 she is being a bit the whiny teenager, but that's not especially inconsistent with the books.

On a related note, and being careful to avoid any spoilers I will say that recent 'off book' activity related to her character has me puzzled and I'm intrigued to listen to the dvd commentary to understand why they've done this (I thought the S1 commentaries / special features did a pretty good job of addressing the discrepancies between the show and the books)

Oh and a final note: I am continually impressed by much of the casting for GoT. The two kids (Arya and Brann) especially and the chap who plays Joffrey, weak chin and all. He really does make you want to punch him repeatedly, which I think you have to take as a compliment to his acting.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I quite like Daenerys, she hasn't got the change yet to show some acting if that's what you're referring too, so far she only got to yell about her dragons and beg for a place to stay etc. Hopefully she got some bigger role later on.

I do hate Theon, the way he talks and is , is just ugh.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I know I haven't read the book in awhile but is it me or are they changing pretty much everything? A lot of scenes are like, I don't remember that from the book. I kind of don't mind it but it is very noticeable in nearing the end of season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    I thought she was fabulous in season 1. In season 2 she is being a bit the whiny teenager, but that's not especially inconsistent with the books.
    Right now it's like I'm watching Viserys Targaryen 2.0. She comes across as a whiny brat who bought into her brother's attitude and thinks she owns the world. She must have threatened or disrespected every man in Qarth, and has utterly failed to back up those threats because she's in no position to make them in the first place. I don't remember this level of attitude from the books.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 15-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

just finished The Killing (Danish, series 1) and thought it was bloody brilliant

Network Hub
    Right now it's like I'm watching Viserys Targaryen 2.0. She comes across as a whiny brat who bought into her brother's attitude and thinks she owns the world. She must have threatened or disrespected every man in Qarth, and has utterly failed to back up those threats because she's in no position to make them in the first place. I don't remember this level of attitude from the books.
    She had the attitude, just all of her doubts were internalised rather than visibly 'acted' and like all fictional characters she was better embodied by your imagination. You read that a princess is acting entitled because she needs to project power, you know the reason why - you see it you just see a spoiled brat.

The inverse is almost coming true with Cersei in that she's much more sympathetic when not seen almost exclusively through the perspective of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Theblazeuk View Post
    She had the attitude, just all of her doubts were internalised rather than visibly 'acted' and like all fictional characters she was better embodied by your imagination. You read that a princess is acting entitled because she needs to project power, you know the reason why - you see it you just see a spoiled brat.

The inverse is almost coming true with Cersei in that she's much more sympathetic when not seen almost exclusively through the perspective of other people.
    I concur.

I think Lena Headey is another doing an excellent job and her scene with Peter Dinklage in the most recent episode was excellent.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'm impressed. I watched the whole first season of Game of Thrones and I didn't pick up a single first name.