Page 24 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Recently one of my flatmates was watching Lockie Leonard on iPlayer. Needless to say I mocked her for watching a CBBC show. Now we both watch it... I'd like to say I'm watching it "Ironically" or something, but you know what, its actually fairly funny. The episode where they had a twisted parody of 80s(?) sitcoms was pretty well done.

Edit: Probably going to need a bit of explanation for the show- doubt many people in general have seen it. Drama/Comedy based around a surfer kid and his oddball family. More intelligent than you'd expect and I am informed they handled mental illness fairly well at some point (not too surprising given the nature of the family).
    Last edited by Vague-rant; 23-05-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    This is an issue of quality again. You still concede that he defeats his enemies with his mind, yes? Then my point stands.
    That's great, I guess. But what I dislike about it has nothing to do with that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Game of Thrones' latest episode.

I uh, hnnnnnnghhh

Network Hub
    How I Met Your Mother.

Waiting for Season 8..which I think will be the last.

Started watch Psych again too. Last episode of season 1.

Game of Thrones is my best love!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Game of thrones latest episode was one of the most epic episodes of television i think ive ever seen and i was surprised it wasnt on a cinema screen. That is a must see!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Game of thrones latest episode was one of the most epic episodes of television i think ive ever seen and i was surprised it wasnt on a cinema screen. That is a must see!
    Certainly character's best moments so far, every bit between Tyrion and Joffrey is golden. The wildfire thing was just spectacular.

Fuck the King's Guard, Fuck the Kingdoms's and Fuck the King.
    So good.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I'd been operating on the assumption that people who claim My Little Pony is awesome are the people who are not coincidentally partaking in the inhalation of 'wacky-baccy'
    I'm no expert on the Brony phenomenon, but I've always thought that it reflected suppressed yearning amongst alienated young males for affection, tenderness, and so on -- needs that are made ever more pressing by a modern culture that encourages women's agency rather than directing them to the fulfillment of those emotional needs that men are not allowed to admit they have. The highly artificial and self-conscious worship associated with being a Brony are the means by which its members avoid recognising the truth in each other's eyes. Masculinity still has its rules.

Or, y'know, I could just be projecting.

For what it's worth I thought the opening two-parter was awesome but none of the other half-dozen or so episodes I watched quite measured up to it.
    Last edited by Rii; 29-05-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Or it could be the Executive Producer for MLP, Lauren Faust, is really, really good at producing shows that transcend gender biases. I'm certainly not enamored of the pony show, but I do have a fondness for The Powerpuff Girls, one of her earlier efforts. So I can see why others would fall as well for MLP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yeah it was pretty amazing. HBO really let them push the boat out on the budget there bigtime. Looking forward to the season finale, but there's no way it's going to live upto the sheer epicness of 'Blackwater'.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Nazgul View Post
    Or it could be the Executive Producer for MLP, Lauren Faust, is really, really good at producing shows that transcend gender biases.
    If the show had an equivalent following amongst females aged 18-25yrs I might be more inclined to accept this.
    Last edited by Rii; 29-05-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    If the show had an equivalent following amongst females aged 18-25yrs I might be more inclined to accept this.
    That such a following doesn't exist does not necessarily mean that the show does not appeal to that demographic. Having watched a few episodes, I can't find anything that would be repelling to them. It could be that they just don't feel the need to be as demonstrative about liking it as their male counterparts.

Mad Men (Season 5)
    Game of Thrones (Season 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Yeah it was pretty amazing. HBO really let them push the boat out on the budget there bigtime. Looking forward to the season finale, but there's no way it's going to live upto the sheer epicness of 'Blackwater'.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how well they pulled the battle off. The budget must have been monstrous. I will say that I'm definitely past the age where I think seeing someone chopped clean in half is a 'cool' thing. There's one more episode this season, correct?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Splynter View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised at how well they pulled the battle off. The budget must have been monstrous. I will say that I'm definitely past the age where I think seeing someone chopped clean in half is a 'cool' thing. There's one more episode this season, correct?
    Yeah, the season Finale.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 30-05-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Just watched the TV adaptation of The Colour of Magic again and while it's probably the least of its ilk I'm still impressed by how well they captured the feel of Pratchett's world. (Going Postal is the best of the three, with Hogfather a close second.)

edit: And then I watched Going Postal again and OH MY GOD is Charles Dance not just the perfect choice for Vetinari?

edit2: David Suchet should be given more opportunities to be the villain. He was awesome in "Hidden" too.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 30-05-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Googling Lauren Faust certainly made me more interested in MLP.

Haven't found any new shows that gripped me and I don't want to play catch-up with Game of Thrones, so I'm back to the comedy re-run rotation:
    -Arrested Development
    -Archer
    -It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Workaholics premieres tonight though. Should be good. I've been listening to a lot of Childish Gambino lately and I'm convinced I should try Community as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Anyone planning to record the season finale of Game of Thrones be aware that it's about ten minutes longer than usual!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    edit: And then I watched Going Postal again and OH MY GOD is Charles Dance not just the perfect choice for Vetinari?
    Charles Dance reminds me of Jeremy Irons (which is fitting considering Jeremy was the celebrity authority figure in Colour of Magic) - he's a fantastic actor who keeps showing up in these minor roles and steals the show every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Just watched the TV adaptation of The Colour of Magic again and while it's probably the least of its ilk I'm still impressed by how well they captured the feel of Pratchett's world. (Going Postal is the best of the three, with Hogfather a close second.)

edit2: David Suchet should be given more opportunities to be the villain. He was awesome in "Hidden" too.
    I really liked Going Postal. I'm somewhat hopeful they'll follow it up with the other Moist books. Must admit though I thought David Suchet was awful in it.

Colour of Magic really grated with me, especially the casting. "HAHA celebrity likes Terry Pratchett quick cast him in a role - any role will do"

Sadly I appreciate that the economies of film-making mean the programs probably wouldn't have been made otherwise, so I guess I'm thankful to them. But honestly when writing list of actors to play Rincewind and the tourist, David Jason and Sean Astin wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

I agree that Charles Dance was a great choice, much better than Jeremy Irons who seemed to give Vetinari a weird speech impediment (I dont think Irons naturally has it but maybe I'm wrong?).

As they're my favourites I remain thankful that they've thus far steered clear of the Watch books as I'd hate to see them half-arsed. Although I do believe they could be fabulous with LotR-esque budget.

I also maintain that Hugh Laurie would make for an outstanding Vimes and while I'd happily give the job back to Charles Dance I think Rowan Atkinson channeling Blackadder II would be a phenomenal Vetinari. Someone like Damian Lewis could potentially pull off Carrot (although not in stature)