Page 28 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Watch the first two seasons and stop, maybe watch the 4th season if you want to but bascially after the frist two seasons it kind of gets a bit dull and then terrible.
    I really hope you're talking about Dexter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yes i am sorry. Breaking Bad is awesome...the third season is a little weak I think but its still above and beyond anything on TV

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    In that case, I definitely agree. Dexter got bad in season 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I've heard much the same from my friend who is recommending it to me the most. I might not even jump into it next anyhow, but it's on The List.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Dexter bad? Trinity, Lumen and DDK? No way.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Obscure Node
    Game of Thrones
    Just finished Boardwalk Empire
    The new Futurama Season

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Recently watched the somewhat odd 外交官・黒田康作 (Diplomat Kosaku Kuroda). It's not all that special, but I like seeing 岩松了(Ryo Iwamatsu) and 山村幸恵 (Yukie Yamamura) in action - and it was decent enough for those reasons. I hadn't seen, or at least noticed, 織田裕二 (Yuji Oda) in anything else before, but I thought he did a fine job as the lead actor.

I might have to check out The Newsroom by HBO, as I've been hearing some good things about it.

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    The Newsroom is indeed good TV.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Yes i am sorry. Breaking Bad is awesome...the third season is a little weak I think but its still above and beyond anything on TV
    Weak maybe, suspenseful oh so very yes.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Well I've just finished episode 9 of season 3 of BB and I have to say so far it's my favourite season. That's not saying too much though, considering season 2 was excellent.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    The Newsroom is indeed good TV.
    Great opening to a series, however I'm not entirely convinced that it's going anywhere. There's no reality to the characters. Everyone talks as if they know they're about to be hauled off to the gas chamber at any second and have to unburden themselves of their most intimate secrets. That rat-a-tat-tat verbal diarrhea info dump worked ok in the social network because it was about recounting events, here it just makes you think that the office coffee is laced with amphetamines. Plus by on large there's nothing like-able about the principal characters. The men all seems fairly anonymous and the women all see desperate and in need of rescuing. It's a little too earnest for it's own good.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Finished streaming the 2nd series of Game of Thrones yesterday. Don't know how I will be able to wait a year for the next series :(

Best fantasy I have ever seen, makes Lord of the Rings look like the new adventures of Hercules.

Network Hub
    Helps that the fantasy is basically some dragons off somewhere else and some zombies up north, rest is just people fucking each other up

And the crazy fire priest woman.

Aye, I streamed the second season a while ago, something I normally wouldn't do, as well because no DVD is available yet. Now I'm waiting for both the third season and the second on DVD.
    Other than that, I've just finished season 6 of Futurama, rewatching Green Wing and I'm halfway through season 4 of Big Bang Theory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well I've just finished episode 9 of season 3 of BB and I have to say so far it's my favourite season. That's not saying too much though, considering season 2 was excellent.
    My problem with it is that it definitly has Middle Season syndrome where the narrtive is in the middle so it ind of spins its wheels a little bit and you know exciting things are going to happen later but it doesn't happen at the moment. Pretty much evry single TV series from The Wire, The Sopranos and Lost I have seen have this problem.

Dumb, Drunk, and Racist. It's an Australian television series about how we are all dumb, drunk, and racist. Sort of. Ok, so the trailer tells it better:

All things considered I think it's been handled in an even-handed and entertaining manner, particularly the 'indigenous Australians' angle in episode 3 where the crew wound up getting chased down the street and back to the hotel by some Aboriginal women throwing rocks!

But what I wanted to write about in particular was this: I found it interesting that of the four Indians it's the call centre worker who is by far the most negative in her preconceptions and subsequent assessments of Australian culture. I found that interesting because in her writings Arundhati Roy draws a connection between call centres in India and Hindu nationalism:

First, to a "Call Center College" in Gurgaon, on the outskirts of Delhi. I thought it would be interesting for a filmmaker to see how easily an ancient civilization can be made to abase itself completely.

[....]

On no account must the caller know that his or her inquiry is being attended to by an Indian sitting at a desk on the outskirts of Delhi. The Call Center Colleges train their students to speak in American and British accents. They have to read foreign papers so they can chitchat about the news or the weather. On duty they have to change their given names.

[....]

The second place I thought I'd take the filmmaker was another kind of training center, a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sansh (RSS) shakha, where the terrible backlash to this enforced abasement is being nurtured and groomed. Where ordinary people march around in khaki shorts and learn that amassing nuclear weapons, religious bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, book burning, and outright hatred are the ways in which to retrieve a nation's lost dignity.

[....]

It would be fascinating to actually see how the inexorable ruthlessness of one process results in the naked, vulgar terroristm perpetrated by the other.
    Of course a sample size of four with one call centre worker doesn't exactly convince one of anything, but I found the congruence interesting nonetheless.

In any case, if anyone's interested in seeing what are (by and large) some of the more uncomfortable aspects of Australian culture through Indian eyes, most of the episodes seem to be up on Youtube.
    Last edited by Rii; 14-07-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Heh, people of the Indian subcontinent are some of the most racist and bigoted people on the planet. They are bigoted towards everyone, homosexuals, religious minorities, whites, blacks, middle easterners, asians, indigenous ethnic minorities and, of course, feminists. Those Indians seemed to be the most seem like angels of rationality compared to your average South Asian.
    Last edited by Shane; 14-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.

I have to admit that when Radhika was dispensing wisdom as to the relationship between white and indigenous Australians I was thinking "so how about those Adivasis, hmm?" But y'know, two wrongs don't make a right. On that note one of the more interesting exchanges in that episode occurred between Gurmeet (the Indian newscaster) and a councillor from a township with majority Aboriginal population but having no Aboriginals on council. The exchange was about the possibility of reserved places on council for Aboriginals and the disconnect was total. To Gurmeet it was obvious that there should be such places as there are in India for Dalits/Scheduled Tribes/OBCs/etc. whereas to the Australian councillor it was equally self-evident that there should be no such thing.
    Last edited by Rii; 14-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Reservations in India is a very contentious issue which has caused a lot of protests and unrest over the years. I'd say that the man's endorsement of reservation shouldn't be taken as the general opinion of the Indian populace. But, yes, reservation for minorities is ubiquitous in India and thus considered a basic part of any administrative system.