Page 35 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Must be one hell of a moisturizer.
    ha! Darn it!

Just seen the second as well, this show sure likes to namedrop brand names, Google, Target and iPhone.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Nicely done Dr Who. Roll on Christmas special.

Also on the rampant speculation train here but what's with all the comments about/shots of malfunctioning lightbulbs? From the flickering lights in the Western episode to the comment in the last episode about the bulb on the Tardis needing changed, plus maybe there was more I didn't spot. Is this hinting at something?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    It's certainly hinting at something. Another note is that each of the title credits have been getting progressively darker, starting with the overly bright first episode, to the near total black of this. I would imagine it's a plot point about "the lights going out" or some sort. Related to The question, I'm sure. And yeah, it was a great episode.

Also watched this week: new season of New Girl, which was perfectly good as well as season 2 of Community, what with it finally being released over here. And then I finished it in two days. I'm...a little upset about this.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I called that displacement thing though it was still a surprise how it happened. Interesting episode have to say few good moments but i dont know if i was totally emotional maybe the episode itself maybe because i knew they were going. I feel sorry for Brian though. It seemed a bit ridicolous that people were just compelled to go into a creepy house that automatically opened stuff for you. I would run away from it. Looking forward to the christmas episode now shame this season was so short.

I enjoyed the episode and I thought Amy and Rory's send off was nicely handled, but was it just me or did the Angels seem pretty inconsistent? Completely petty nit picking, The Doctor reiterated that they can only move when no one is looking at them, yet there were times when there was someone clearly looking at one but they still seemed able to move, and they seemed so much slowly than their first appearance in 'Blink'.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stories: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/

Amazing episode, Rory and Amy's send off was perfectly done. Raggedy man, good bye!

It's sad to think they had gone without saying their farewell's to Rory's dad, now he's probably worrying sick; wondering where his son and his wife have gone. He had a pretty big role in previous episodes yet he's not mentioned in their last episode.

I'm also wondering why River still exists when her parents are gone before she was born, that and the last bit of Amy's origins I didn't quite understand.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The River problem is simply understood if you can first get your ahead around the fact that time is non-linear. Everything occurs in a linear fashion, but that doesn't mean that the things that happen have to be linear. If you have a watch on before you enter the TARDIS that says 1900 and then go to another planet in the year 4252 and step out of it a minute later, your watch will still say 1901, but your body in the context of the universe will appear to have jumped about. River's existence, with this in mind, becomes perfectly acceptable. She was born in the context that in the timeline of Amy and Rory, she was born when she was. In the universe, she was born in year Y, but her linear progression interweaves differently. It's why her and The Doctor sync up their diaries, so they can work out how far along each other are in their linear time-line.

What I'm saying is, time being linear is a perception thing and a personal experience. It's summed up rather well in Doctor Who itself with this vid:

Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Very much enjoyed Doctor Who and don't have much to add that hasn't already been said other than the lightbulb thing not having clicked. An intentionally re-occurring motif or just chance? The three mentioned episodes haven't all been written by the Moff but that's not to say he didn't add it in when he was tweaking the scripts before they were finalised.

Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    I enjoyed the episode and I thought Amy and Rory's send off was nicely handled, but was it just me or did the Angels seem pretty inconsistent? Completely petty nit picking, The Doctor reiterated that they can only move when no one is looking at them, yet there were times when there was someone clearly looking at one but they still seemed able to move,
    Like at the end you mean, when it (spoilers) gets Amy when the Doctor is talking to her? I'd wondered that. I put it down to the Doctor and River having all their focus on Amy (and in River's case she thinks Amy's doing the right thing so perhaps off-screen she's not even looking so that she can help Amy get her way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    they seemed so much slowly than their first appearance in 'Blink'.
    The speed of the angels seems to depend entirely on what a given scene requires. The Doctor says how fast they are but even in Blink there were a number of bits where they seemed pretty slow compared to how they're described.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    That Weeping Angel totally pulled a Balrog on Rory.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The River problem is simply understood if you can first get your ahead around the fact that time is non-linear. Everything occurs in a linear fashion, but that doesn't mean that the things that happen have to be linear. If you have a watch on before you enter the TARDIS that says 1900 and then go to another planet in the year 4252 and step out of it a minute later, your watch will still say 1901, but your body in the context of the universe will appear to have jumped about. River's existence, with this in mind, becomes perfectly acceptable. She was born in the context that in the timeline of Amy and Rory, she was born when she was. In the universe, she was born in year Y, but her linear progression interweaves differently. It's why her and The Doctor sync up their diaries, so they can work out how far along each other are in their linear time-line.

What I'm saying is, time being linear is a perception thing and a personal experience. It's summed up rather well in Doctor Who itself with this vid:

Ah, Didn't think of it in that way, -spoilerites- though Amy and Rory were in a fixed timeline as the Doctor explained and there for can't be saved, but at the end he was about to go back in time and re-do the meeting with Amy in a different parallel time? That bit confused me a bit.

One other thing was was rather clever although I'm not sure it was intentional was that when you read your own future it is set in stone. and at the end reading his own gravestone which was actually written in stone.
    -spoilerites end-
    Last edited by Ravelle; 30-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.

I'm just trying out Camelot now, but it looks pretty horrible.

The whole I can't go back in time smelled like writers bs to be honest I don't see why he couldn't to be honest and i was a bit miffed that rory didn't get an end like Amy did since he was starting to become more likeble then Amy was, I was a little bit relived when she went.

The rules on when time can and cannot be written does seem a bit wobbly but then when he's tried to change things before it was when he didn't know the exact outcome I suppose, which in this case he did. Even at Lake Silencio he didn't know for a fact that he died, just that that's what certain parties (the time-travelling mini-people robot thing) believed had happened.

Either way, it's probably the thing Moffat's written that least stands up to scrutiny.

As for Rory not getting a proper goodbye, that was sort of inevitable. Unless they were both killed by the same thing it always seemed likely that they'd be gone because of something happening to Rory.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

A good smattering of new and old shows out this fall in America and I've watched a few.

Last Resort - Wow was this a good episode of television, it just caught you by the end and didn't let go with its pace and plot. Not giving to much away but a submerine gets a call from a very old and not used channel to use nukes on Pakistan, and when they refuse government conspiricies and internal fighting make them go onto an island that looks very suspiciously like the Lost island. The military action and characters were good, and the pace was dan fine holding your interest, I have no idea how its going to be a series though and thats a worry but just watching this episode alone is satisfying enough so if it goes a horrible direction I won't be to miffed.

666 Park Avenue - Good fun I have to say Terry O Quinn is the devil, he makes deals with people and if they renegade he takes their souls, two couples looking for an apartment and jobs get under there wing. The funess of the show is its comdy based on who Terrys character actually is and the enjoyment of seeing people get tempted and eventually get taken down with a few creepy moments here and there. Its the right kind of fluff I have to say but again I can't really see how this show will be week to week but I can see that it will be fun. Also good seeing Quinn again I have realized I missed him and his smile from Lost

Fringe - New season was a bit hesitant about this because I feel Fringe has pretty much answered all the questions they had but the fnale didn't utilize some of the things I thought they would utilize making it a bit disappointing. This one wasn't to bad, it takes away the freak of the week which i'm glad about and just goes balls to the wall with the observer future and has some touching moments with its characters. Especially Walter who gets tortured and its one of the most intense scenes I think i've witnessed and really good acting from all involved and the ending was really good from that as well. All in all i'm on board with this last season though the plot is the least of my interests.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Amazing episode, Rory and Amy's send off was perfectly done. Raggedy man, good bye!

It's sad to think they had gone without saying their farewell's to Rory's dad, now he's probably worrying sick; wondering where his son and his wife have gone. He had a pretty big role in previous episodes yet he's not mentioned in their last episode.
    yeah. that what frigging worries me too. he was not strictly needed so if he is not brought back then we are having an issue here.
    I'm also wondering why River still exists when her parents are gone before she was born, that and the last bit of Amy's origins I didn't quite understand.
    Amy did give birth to her already. so not sure what you mean.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Last Resort - Wow was this a good episode of television, it just caught you by the end and didn't let go with its pace and plot. Not giving to much away but a submerine gets a call from a very old and not used channel to use nukes on Pakistan, and when they refuse government conspiricies and internal fighting make them go onto an island that looks very suspiciously like the Lost island. The military action and characters were good, and the pace was dan fine holding your interest, I have no idea how its going to be a series though and thats a worry but just watching this episode alone is satisfying enough so if it goes a horrible direction I won't be to miffed.
    Hey, this show is cool. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just one thing gets me curious though. Is it possible to broadcast TV signal under deep ocean? The captain tried through some civilian TV channels to understand that their own country was everything normal, absolutely no sign of Washington DC being nuked. I watched the film "A Crimson Tide" years ago, it seems there was merely enough bandwidth under water to transmit text messages.

And I used to think that Navy sailors are usually excellent mechanics only, so I am surprised they can be capable combatants (although in this show they rather combat against each others).
    Last edited by squirrel; 03-10-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Surely Amy and Rory would have just left a letter behind to be delivered to Rory's dad at about the time he'd last seen them?

Lord knows what happens with Amy's family though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Lord knows what happens with Amy's family though.
    she doesn't really have one. parents gone, no siblings, raised by an aunt who was never home and then probably passed away or got killed by prisoner zero...

what about their friends tough, their work. First season of DW touched upon the subject with Roses mom searching for her everywhere and Miki being questioned by police.
    Doctor really fucks up people lives.

edit: just read on wiki that auntie is alive and so does amy's parents because of Doctor repairing the cracks in the world. so yeah. they are probably heartbroken and hate that crazy man in a blue box.
    Last edited by Lukasz; 03-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Just one thing gets me curious though. Is it possible to broadcast TV signal under deep ocean? The captain tried through some civilian TV channels to understand that their own country was everything normal, absolutely no sign of Washington DC being nuked.
    I seem to remember the captain said something along the lines of "take us to antennae depth" so they could pick up the TV stations. I wouldn't put too much stock in the show's submarine science. I expect we're not supposed to question the technology.

Edit: I thought it was more remarkable that they managed to go from the sub surfaced with the crew ashore to launching an ICBM in less than 15 minutes.

I didn't like the show. It's a fun concept but it was let down by a poor cast and a crappy script. I get that it's a pilot but it's horribly contrived when every character has to have a signature moment to show us what they are all about.
    Last edited by Dubbill; 04-10-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Given that they are primarily broadcast in air, the signal would refract and possible be recoverable at certain depths. It would lose much in the way of coherency though, unless you knew how to undo the refraction from the water-air and any further inner water layers.

Say just broadcasting it from a buoy would probably be different though (directly into water) and while creating a sound channel would still allow the signal to be received relatively well in a wide(r) area...