Page 36 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    The new Red Dwarf episode, it was... funny. I am pleasantly surprised.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I find myself agreeing with you. My expectations were low, but it did have some good jokes in it. Although, now that they've got some Red Dwarf IV on, I'm sure I'm going to realise that whilst the first episode of X was good, it won't hold up to the old stuff.

[Spoiler regarding the second episode trailer]For what it's worth, I hope that the installation of a new computer and its inevitable going wrong, that we get (a) Holly back.[/spoiler]
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

For the first time ever, I decided to be geeky and watch Star Trek (the Next Generation). Only few episodes in but I'm finding more intriguing than I expected. From what I've heard I anticipated common archetypes, but the characters are actually pretty interesting; I was surprised at how douchy and awkward Picard is, Data's wish to be human and his constant word-clarifications, etc. The stories also seem more diverse than I expected (the first one with Q and testing humanity, or the one where everyone goes crazy). Only worry is that the episodes are starting to get a bit predictable/formulaic (introduction, the big "bad stuff" happens, last minute save etc.) Also hate the ambassador; every time she talks about sensing emotions she just sounds retarded...

Also, started on Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Loved the first series, and my sister tells me the second is better as it follows the Manga (which I have never read). So far everything is rehashing the first series, so can't wait when the differences start kicking in!
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I'm still laughing at Rimmer's Kryten putdown.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    she doesn't really have one. parents gone, no siblings, raised by an aunt who was never home and then probably passed away or got killed by prisoner zero...

what about their friends tough, their work. First season of DW touched upon the subject with Roses mom searching for her everywhere and Miki being questioned by police.
    Doctor really fucks up people lives.

edit: just read on wiki that auntie is alive and so does amy's parents because of Doctor repairing the cracks in the world. so yeah. they are probably heartbroken and hate that crazy man in a blue box.
    Not neccisarely. Amy and Rory would have gone to Manhattan with or without the doctor eventually (Holiday!) - Without the doctor, things could have been a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Koobazaur View Post
    how douchy and awkward Picard is
    ! Picard and Data rapidly become the best characters in the main crew, mostly because of what you mentioned regarding Data's exploration of humanity, but Picard easily steals the show. Any episodes focused on him will be good. The awkwardness definitely stands (and comes to a lovely development come the final episode) but he is not at all douchy. Stickler for the rules? Sure, but often the best parts are him subverting the rules. God help you if you get a Data AND Picard episode.

the episodes are starting to get a bit predictable/formulaic (introduction, the big "bad stuff" happens, last minute save etc.)
    Oh, man, they're all formulaic. Again, some of the best episodes are where this is subverted in some way. The two-parters are, from memory, all good, whilst you get one-off episodes that are absolutely fantastic. That's not to say the formulaic episodes are bad, but some of the lesser episodes are the ones that stick religiously to the formula. There's an episode where the solution involves restarting the main computer. Yeah. TNG at its best is phenomenal TV. At its worst? A bit silly.

Also hate the ambassador; every time she talks about sensing emotions she just sounds retarded...
    Ah, you're waiting for "A Good Troi Episode". They don't come often.

As it stands, TNG is famous for the idea of "Growing the beard"; when Riker (Number 1) has a beard, which is in line with the second series, it starts getting good. There are so many good episodes in the show, although I will say my favourite is the finale two-parter.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    For the first time ever, I decided to be geeky and watch Star Trek (the Next Generation). Only few episodes in but I'm finding more intriguing than I expected. From what I've heard I anticipated common archetypes, but the characters are actually pretty interesting; I was surprised at how douchy and awkward Picard is, Data's wish to be human and his constant word-clarifications, etc. The stories also seem more diverse than I expected (the first one with Q and testing humanity, or the one where everyone goes crazy). Only worry is that the episodes are starting to get a bit predictable/formulaic (introduction, the big "bad stuff" happens, last minute save etc.) Also hate the ambassador; every time she talks about sensing emotions she just sounds retarded...

Also, started on Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Loved the first series, and my sister tells me the second is better as it follows the Manga (which I have never read). So far everything is rehashing the first series, so can't wait when the differences start kicking in!
    It's not really a second and more a recreation that's indeed more faithful to the manga, you're in for a treat dude. :D
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Theres defiantly some crackers in Next Generation and Picard and Data are probably the best but you do eventually start to like all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    As it stands, TNG is famous for the idea of "Growing the beard"; when Riker (Number 1) has a beard, which is in line with the second series, it starts getting good. There are so many good episodes in the show, although I will say my favourite is the finale two-parter.
    That's pretty much the rule yes, although I'd say that a lot of the second season was pretty awful. The first half was heavily affected by a writers strike at the time, so a lot of stories were half baked and some old scripts for the abandoned Star Trek Phase 2 series were dusted off and re-purposed. Towards the end of that series though, it started to really grow into a great show with some really good episodes and ideas (and introduced the Borg). But in general, beardy Riker is the sign that the show is growing into something good.
    I have a new book out. Fancy some cynical fantasy comedy? Check it out:
    http://amzn.to/1oVrKlx

Read my other stuff: http://tessstenson.blogspot.co.uk/
    I also contribute to http://www.coffeebreakgaming.co.uk/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Red Dwarf was definitly a lot funnier then i thought it would be and it was good to see them together. It was disconcerting that they all looked old though especially rimmer!

Just watched the first two episodes of Continuum. I really wanted to like it, the Deus Ex HR style tech is fun but the characters, action and acting are such a clunking great lump of cheese I can't summon up much enthusiasm to watch more. Does it get better?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Red Dwarf was definitly a lot funnier then i thought it would be and it was good to see them together. It was disconcerting that they all looked old though especially rimmer!
    Cat dude still looks the same surprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Just watched the first two episodes of Continuum. I really wanted to like it, the Deus Ex HR style tech is fun but the characters, action and acting are such a clunking great lump of cheese I can't summon up much enthusiasm to watch more. Does it get better?
    No, not really. It just pootles along in the same vein and then it ends. I also want to like it but the leads are both pretty charmless and Kiera has all the charisma of a discarded mattress. Continubum, more like.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Ghost Adventures.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As others have said, it gets a lot better. Personally, I think TNG is the best of the Treks, but it has been a very long time since I have watched Deep Space Nine. Certainly, those are the only two that I would be interested in owning on DVD/Blu-Ray (prices are still a bit too high though.)

In fact, Star Trek is something that I haven't watched in the last four or so years. Now that I've seen Babylon 5, I'm not sure whether I would like it quite so much.

The problem I have with re-watching Star Trek, and I'm only saying this because of what you said Vandelay regarding B5, is that the Federation comes over as being so damn perfect as to be completely implausible. I loved Roddenberry's idea, but it falls short. So when you have B5 which shows an advanced, but still flawed humanity (precisely because it IS human), Star Trek just seems at a wash. Not just B5 either. My favourite sci-fis are where humans (or a human in the case of Farscape) are thrown into an environment that depicts 'realistic': in B5, we're one of the least advanced space farers and restricted by red tape; Farscape has a human reacting to a totally alien environment and, as a result, starts going insane (assisted or not); Firefly's humanity succumbing to issues of wealth and distribution.

On top of that, these shows convey aliens so well. B5 is good at showing how aliens are alien to each other, whilst Farscape goes ballistic in "How crazy can we make it this week?" to the extent that by the end of the episode, some of the animatronics fit in with ease; Rygel, in particular, becomes so incredibly convincing as the show goes on as being real. Then you return to Star Trek with "Warriors with head ridges", "...Romans" etc. One of the best created Trek races, the Borg, then end up getting watered down so much over the course of their existence. Real shame that one.