Page 46 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    There is also a movie from 2005,people say its good but they said same thing about the show :|
    I'm with you guys. I haven't seen the show but the movie did absolutely nothing for me. The whole time watching it I couldn't help but think "Was Harrison Ford busy when they cast this?" Also, putting a World War II German antiaircraft gun on the hull of your spaceship is exactly the best way to take me right out of your movie.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Whilst I do think the film, Serenity, was probably a decent stand-alone, make no mistake it was a direct sequel to the series and without watching that, no way could you get 100% out of the film. I can understand people's disappointment in it for that reason. My views on Firefly itself though fluctuate. I don't not enjoy it, but I agree with one of my friend's comments on it. It's very much a proof of concept; these characters, situations, environments all work, and they all work well, but not enough happens to really sink your teeth into it because by the time you get anywhere close, it's already well over.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Finally got around to watching Fresh Meat. Seems pretty good so far and I'm told it improves as it goes on so I'm definitely going to stick with it. There's elements of the characters and situations that are definitely recognisable from undergrad though of course exaggerated through a comedy filter. There's certainly been more laugh out loud moments than in the last couple of series of Peep Show plus it has a few different strings to its bow than just being The Inbetweeners at university (that wouldn't have been a bad thing but I'm glad it's trying to be its own show). I'm already a bit fed up of the Kingsley/Josie plot lines though, so far they seem to me to have a lot more forced dialogue that just comes across as smug rather than funny

Quite funny seeing the guy who plays Dan Miller in The Thick of It crop up as an equally slimy and contemptible character in this, he's really rather good at that sort of thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I didn't get it either,i watched only five episodes but the show was medicore at best. There is also a movie from 2005,people say its good but they said same thing about the show :|

Otherwise still need to finish FRIEND season 10,not funny anymore. Then X FILES season 5,only 3 episodes.
    Shows stop being funny if they hang around for too long, How I met your mother is a great example. After a while you've told all the jokes you had and are forced to repeat them.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I'm starting to watch Person of Interest. I am losing interest about four episodes in. Does it get better?

I also tried watching Leverage, because conmen are great. Leverage, it turns out, is terribad.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    I'm starting to watch Person of Interest. I am losing interest about four episodes in. Does it get better?

I also tried watching Leverage, because conmen are great. Leverage, it turns out, is terribad.
    No, Leverage is mostlygood. I didn't get it at first, but it is a fun show. The cons are ridiculous, the acting leans towards hammy, but eventually it turns into a comic book or even a comic strip of a show. The characters are larger than life and completely unrealistic, but the show can make you smile or laugh if you give it a real shot.

I think I kicked back and started to enjoy the ride in episode 7, "The Wedding Job." The butcher of Kiev introduction was great, and Elliott has a great line about how he handled his hometown sweetheart getting married to someone else.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Can't understand how people find THE BIG BANG THEORY funny..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Can't understand how people find THE BIG BANG THEORY funny..

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Whilst I do think the film, Serenity, was probably a decent stand-alone, make no mistake it was a direct sequel to the series and without watching that, no way could you get 100% out of the film. I can understand people's disappointment in it for that reason. My views on Firefly itself though fluctuate. I don't not enjoy it, but I agree with one of my friend's comments on it. It's very much a proof of concept; these characters, situations, environments all work, and they all work well, but not enough happens to really sink your teeth into it because by the time you get anywhere close, it's already well over.
    I think that's because it's only ten episodes long. It was obviously going places. A tonne of the characters had histories that were touched on but never explained, like Book, what was that little card he had and why did it mean he got a free pass to space hospital? Then there's the guys with the blue gloves on their hands.

If we had gotten more seasons of it I think it would've fleshed out very nicely. It doesn't help either that when FOX originally aired it, they put the episodes out of sequence, so there's been confusion surrounding it there too.

I barely watch TV. I just don't have time for it with all the games and comics and books. I can about manage to watch something like Castle if I'm playing an MMO or Diablo-clone or CiV, something that doesn't require my full attention (that goes for both the game and the show). If I'm with my girlfriend I'm more likely to watch a show. There's just too many shows with too many seasons and too many games. And I like games more. And with the exception of something like ff13 or assassins creed (which I haven't played) nobody ever tells me "Oh, you have to play this, it gets so good after (insert stupidly large number here) hours/episodes!". If I've to watch 6 episodes of an hour long show before it gets good then I'm not likely to do it.

The only TV shows I'll ever watch on my own and give my full attention to so far have been
    -Game of Thrones
    -The Walking Dead
    -Adventure Time

If all TV shows stopped being just TV shows and copied what the walking dead game did I'd be way more interested in them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Today, on "Douchebags and Gore":

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got the first season of Homeland on Blu-ray for Christmas. The wife and I liked it quite a bit. It's like 24, but not quite as far-fetched, and there are lots and lots of boobs. I give it 8.5 boobs out of 10.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    If we had gotten more seasons of it I think it would've fleshed out very nicely.
    Along with everything else, I totally agree. The problem is though is that Whedon likes the slow-burn, which is fantastic. In Firefly's case though, it works against it. Now I'm not saying it's bad, not at all, but all you have are the mysteries of "What's that?" and "Who are they?" It's nothing really against the show itself, but it lacks the cohesiveness of a fully-rounded out show. The show itself is great, but because of the production problems, it does unfortunately bring it down. Ah well, at least there's still Farscape for sci-fi.

By the way, everyone should watch Farscape. Seriously. ​Seriously.

If I've to watch 6 episodes of an hour long show before it gets good then I'm not likely to do it.
    Well I do the same with anything, to be honest. I'm working through Serious Sam 3 at the moment and the beginning is clearly lacking. I've read books where the start is pants. I only give TV shows a bit of leigh-way though because they can change so very much even between the first and second episodes. That said, it's far easier with something like half-hour comedies because you can watch a few in one sitting and go "Okay, well that's not great, I'll give up" as opposed to watching it week-by-week and not knowing whether or not you like it enough, so you keep going. I imagine a lot of people fall under that situation. For me though, if it's not good, it's not good. I don't care if it gets good later on because the quality is judged by everything, not individual elements.

In short, I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    I give it 8.5 boobs out of 10.
    That's...a little concerning!