Page 49 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    While I'm here, been watching Africa and I urge anyone with a tele-box and/or iPlayer to watch it because it is utterly wonderful.
    I second this.

As for Battlestar I stopped watching at the start of the third series where it was just getting a bit tedious. I've heard the second half of that season is better and considered finishing it but just never got around to it. Probably for the best as from what I've heard about the finale I'd probably dislike it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I had forgotten about Firefy's innate ability to make me laugh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Utopia first episode was pretty damn good, great character interactions intriguing story and its funny in some places plus some really nice cinematography. Have to say the eye scene was a bit much to be honest but i did like the two villains though i think they took out the wrong one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I've heard the second half of that season is better and considered finishing it but just never got around to it. Probably for the best as from what I've heard about the finale I'd probably dislike it.
    The ending to the third series is...interesting. Depending on your fondness for a certain character, you'll either enjoy it or loathe it. That said, there are a few other elements going on at the same time that are not good and the very end to the series, as in the last few minutes, is the first major sign that they've lost the plot, which in itself isn't completely inaccurate considering it's on record that a certain thing that happens was sort of thrown together. It really, really painfully shows. Even one of the actors it involved was furious. Then the religious overtones start happening and, yeah. The ending shows that they got lucky in the beginning, lost the plot later on or somewhere in between the two. I don't think it ever recovered from that point. On the plus side, that series probably did have some of the best combat sequences and really put their budget to use. So there's that!

To everyone else who wanted to know, massive character spoiler, don't read if you haven't finished BSG: The actor who played Colonel Tigh, at first, refused to accept that his character was a Cylon, citing that it didn't make any sense. It's why he has such contempt about the whole thing later on.[/spoiler]
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I'm on third season of BREAKING BAD and its kinda boring,show is so slow,nothing really special doesn't happen..jeez.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I would agree that they shouldnt of focused on the final five in the last season since it didnt really matter anymore to be honest the two strongest episodes in the final season is the revolution episodes. The problem i had with the spiritual aspect wasnt the actual spiritualness was that it didnt add up with the spiritualness in the earlier episodes. Also what the hell was going on with Starbuck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    I'm on third season of BREAKING BAD and its kinda boring,show is so slow,nothing really special doesn't happen..jeez.
    While I disagree I'll concede that series 3 is probably the weakest season. Still (in my view) a cut above a lot of other TV but it was the only series where there's some stuff going on that doesn't feel absolutely necessary. However it does set the groundwork for series 4 by building up the tension between Walt and Gus. Series 4 is (again in my view) the best season and there's definitely a lot more going on, a lot of which wouldn't have worked as well as it did without the build up in series 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    My dream is to have BB whiners restrained Clockwork Orange-style and forced to watch "Fly" on repeat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    To me part of Breaking Bads charm is how slow some parts are. The payoffs seem extra huge and the tension that they manage to build from fairly mundane things is great.

Even in season 1 whenever Walt looks at his money I got worried thinking Skyler might walk in.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Without doubt its good show but sometimes i wish things would happen slightly faster.

Just watched 19th episode of X-Files season 5, "Folie Deux" really creepy stuff.

Entire plot if you wanna read it.

Plot Gary Lambert (Brian Markinson), a telemarketer at an Oak Brook, Illinois, company called VinylRight, believes that his seemingly normal boss, Greg Pincus (John Apicella), is a disguised insect-like monster. Lambert records an audio-taped manifesto and sends it to a radio station, demanding that it be played twenty-four hours a day; on the tape, he claims that the monster, which "hides in the light", stalks employees at VinylRight. The radio station sends the tape to the FBI, where Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) meets with Pincus and lets him hear the audiotape. Mulder takes notice to the phrase "hiding in the light" and calls Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), asking her to find past X-Files containing the phrase. After one of Lambert's co-workers, Nancy Aaronson (Cynthia Preston), is turned into a living corpse by Pincus—while appearing normal to everyone else—Lambert flees to his apartment and arms himself with an AK-47. He returns to VinylRight and takes Pincus and the other employees hostage along with Mulder. During the situation, Lambert screams out that his boss, Pincus, is a mind-controlling monster and claims that a group of employees are zombies. An alleged zombie, Mark Backus, tries to disarm Lambert only to be shot by Lambert. A Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) officer disguised as a cameraman is sent inside to provide agents on the outside with a disposition of Lambert and hostages. Lambert, oblivious to the fact that the camera broadcasts only in a closed circuit mode, tells everyone about Pincus being a monster. The lights are cut, but before the SWAT team moves in Lambert forces Mulder to look behind him. Mulder hears a clicking sound and looks at Pincus who, for an instant, appears to be a large insect. Just then, the FBI break into the room, and kill Lambert before he can open fire. At Lambert's house, Mulder finds a map of Pincus' movement over the years, which corresponds to other cases of psychotic breaks. He then notices Nancy Aaronson, the co-worker Lambert saw as a zombie, through a window looking like a corpse. Elsewhere, the forensic pathologist tells Scully that the corpse of Mark Backus appears to have been dead for two to three days, although the man had been killed only hours before. At the house of a different female employee, Gretchen Starns, Mulder looks through the window, sees the beast and hears a loud scream. Mulder breaks the window and then kicks in the door. Behind him, out of his sight, the beast walks across the ceiling. Mulder catches a glimpse of it crawling up the outside of the house. Later at the FBI, Pincus complains to Assistant Director Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi), but Mulder, seeing Pincus begin to transform into the creature again, draws his weapon. He is restrained by a disbelieving Skinner and then sedated in a hospital. Mulder claims that the creature bit the back of the employee's head. Scully re-examines Mark's corpse and finds three puncture marks at the top of the spine marking the corners of an equilateral triangle. In the hospital, Mulder is restrained in his bed and sees the silhouette of the beast at the window. He screams for the nurse, who has been bitten by Pincus. Scully, however, goes to visit Mulder. The nurse refuses access, but, for a moment, Scully sees her as a corpse. Scully runs into Mulder's room, sees the beast on the wall over Mulder, and shoots at it. It leaps through the partially open window, breaking the glass and wooden frame. Scully testifies to Skinner that she believes Mulder is fit for duty, noting that Pincus and several others mysteriously disappeared, there was an intruder in Mulder's room, and that Mark did have some sort of chemical in his system. She explains that the two of them had a Folie deux—a madness shared by two. The episode ends with a different man at telemarketing agency noticing the same ominous signs of the creature.[1]
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 24-01-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Spartacus is back with another 11/10 episode!

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    How did I forget Spartacus. I have failed.

Never mind, Archer 4x02 was bloody brilliant and had the voice of Timothy Olyphant. Closing shot, I have never seen that particular expression on Lanas' face before.

Edit: On that note;

Last edited by Rath; 26-01-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I'd say it loses a point for not showing someone's face being chopped off, but I guess you can't have that every episode.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I stopped after the first season because I was afraid it wouldn't be in the same style as the first season, is the second season any good?
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Network Hub
    I finished Scrubs' 8th season. Great series, I'll miss those goofs :)
    GW2: Eknurr (Lvl 80 Engi), Elaina Mischievous (Lvl 80 Ranger), Neeaha (Lvl 80 Mesmer), Bald Carl (Lvl 80 Guardian)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    While I disagree I'll concede that series 3 is probably the weakest season. Still (in my view) a cut above a lot of other TV but it was the only series where there's some stuff going on that doesn't feel absolutely necessary. However it does set the groundwork for series 4 by building up the tension between Walt and Gus. Series 4 is (again in my view) the best season and there's definitely a lot more going on, a lot of which wouldn't have worked as well as it did without the build up in series 3.
    Having just finished series 3 I must disagree. I thought it was better then the first two seasons. The humour, which often felt jarring to me, is given just the right balance, whilst the drama has some insanely intense moments (Hank in the car park with the "cousins"! Then the other end of the scale with every scene between Walt and Skyler.) The ending may not have happened as out of the blue as the previous series, but still has me anticipating getting onto season 4 soon.

To hear that series 4 ups the ante even more just builds that anticipation to whole new levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle
    I stopped after the first season because I was afraid it wouldn't be in the same style as the first season, is the second season any good?

I've not seen the true second season, but the inbetween prequel, Gods of The Arena, was really great. In terms of enjoyment, it carries on from where the first season ended. I hear last years was not so strong though, which isn't surprising considering the best character is no longer in it and the sad necessary change of lead actor.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm actually jealous that you get to experience season 4, it's so intense in places. The ending will blow your mind.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The second season of Spartacus is also very good. People bitch about some replacements and Spartacus talking too much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    The second season of Spartacus is also very good. People bitch about some replacements and Spartacus talking too much.
    Spartacus was never the most interesting character in the series anyway. Series 2 was great in that it fully used its extended cast, Craig Parker who was a bit bland in the previous seasons was given a lot more to do and already awesome characters like Ashur got some great scenes (you know a villain's good when you still kind of root for them, despite being an irredeemably awful piece of work).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    People need to watch Enlightened if they aren't. It's maybe the best show currently airing on TV that's not on hiatus (I like Archer too, but it hasn't been as good the past season or so). It sounds awful from the description (it's about a woman who returns from rehab with a new outlook on life and her dealing with the corporate world), but it's so much better than any description would lead you to think.