Page 54 of 148 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2941
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    What is the little guy doing with the nose on ? he shouldn't have nose lol

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It would be too annoying to keep up, I think.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Also all actors in American TV shows must look pretty even when they are supposed to have horrible scars. I do wonder what parts it will get to I already know the finale will be that.

Recently finished the Netflix-only House of Cards (the remake with Kevin Spacey). Being a fan of the original I was skeptical but suspected Spacey wouldn't attach himself to something that was to be of no worth. I ended up watching the entire series in 2 days, an act from which you can glean the summary of my opinion. It treats the viewer with the right amount of intellectual respect, doesn't delve too deeply into snore-som political nuance (hi, The West Wing) and retains the original's cold, black heart. It also does something TV rarely does and that is to realistically create an ensemble of actual characters as opposed to a handful of protagonists surrounded by fluff. Even characters with little episode-time are presented to us in a way in which we get a strong sense of their motivations for being and acting the way they do.
    Last edited by scorpion_wins; 24-02-2013 at 12:31 PM.

I've just reached episode 8 of House of Cards and it's the first time any Spacey's character has appeared to be vaguely likeable. I don't understand the appeal of the all-consuming ambition and the desire to crush or fuck over everyone along the way. All the main players just seem thoroughly unpleasant. All I've got is a hope that the assorted arseholes get their comeuppance.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

I don't think the characters are meant to be likeable. They're human, certainly, and because of the world they inhabit and the story they reside within they display some wholly unpalatable traits. If the protagonist were genuinely likeable I think the writers would have the remit badly wrong.

I don't think the writers have done anything wrong. I'm just finding it hard to connect with the show because everyone in it is a shit.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post

HNNNNGH
    My eyes are ready :)
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Final Black Mirror was definitely the weakest. Had some decent moments but overall I can't help but compare political satire to The Thick of It and alas this didn't compare favourably. Made some good points but it couldn't match the characterisation of the first episode of this series or the bleakness of the second. It's still decent and worth a watch but disappointing in comparison to the best episodes. I guess with something like this there's always going to be a few ideas that fall flat.

Hopefully there will be another run of these.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    That wasn't my problem with it, but I agree, it was definitely the weakest. I think, for me, it was that you didn't have a working example of what they said they would do with Waldo, before you cut to the ending where oh crap, the future is screwed (I actually thought it was going to be a teaser for a new series, but evidently not). Without the working example and by this I mean something like seeing Waldo in parliament and having the team work behind it, answering questions or asking them, the ending just seems too far removed from what happens before it, other than the super vague foreshadowing with the bod from 'The Agency'. I also thought the pacing was off.

I don't think it was strictly speaking bad and it certainly had some interesting ideas (not to mention obliterated my thinking there was a theme between the three episodes of this series) but it was lacking.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    I've been meaning to get around to watching the second series. I liked it but found myself struggling to watch at times due to the sheer overload of cringe. It's brilliant just how ridiculous the situations he ends up getting into are; if he was any way a likeable character it would be unbearable to watch.
    Yea, except for the coffee shop girl, this show honestly does not have a single likable character, which is a little off-putting as I can't feel any sympathy for the bad stuff that happens. It's like watching a trainwreck getting worse and worse... except the passangers are all Hitler and his upper echelon men. Oh and Emilia Earhart.

This of course links me (through the guy who plays the lead character) to Arrested Development, which I've finally got around to watching, after a couple of people recommended it to me. Half way through the first series just now and it's perfect lunch break watching. I've been told continued viewing pays off in the form of in jokes which I'm looking forward to as I'm partial to a nice set of running gags.
    Aye aye, AD is still my favorite sitcom of all time and it has layers upon layers of interwoven narrative; indeed I keep discovering new things on each rewatching. I remember a big thread in the SomethingAwful forums with all the hidden gags, making me realize just how much complexity and forethought went into the show. The writers are honestly brilliant.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

I'm excited about Game of Thrones, just finished rewatching S2. Really interested to see how they adapt the two books into just 10 episodes.

And while I know I shouldn't be surprised / angry I can't help but be somewhat miffed by the complete incompetence of this summary of the trailer by the mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-battles.html

I'm fine if someone doesn't give two shits about a show, but then to post about the trailer and fail to uphold even the most basic journalistic standard of fact checking depresses me. Although I guess trying to connect the word journalism with anything the mail produces is a mistake.

Firstly they claim Michelle Fairley says the 'Its been a long time...' when its patently a man and, specifcally Conleth Hill (Varys) - who was pretty awesome in the reason episodes of Suits by the way.

Secondly they fail to identify Carice Van Houten / Melisandre - simply referring to an 'ominous voiceover'
    They fail to identify Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder, referring to him as 'a battle weary soldier' - although to be fair this may be intention since they later correctly identify him, but I doubt it.

I incorrectly identify new addition Kristopher Hivju (Tormund) as James Cosmo / Jeor Mormont - while a quick check on imdb photos would clearly show they do not look very much alike.

sigh.

/rant

Also spoilers:

I like the sneaky nod in the trailer with the 'Death is coming for everyone and everything' and showing Catelyn and Robb

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Really interested to see how they adapt the two books into just 10 episodes.
    Is season three covering books three and four? Man, that is an awful lot to cover in ten episodes if so.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Err no, it's the complete opposite, book 3 is being split into two seasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    So then the Red Wedding will likely be the last episode of S3 then. That ought to get people craving S4 well enough.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I think they said episode 9, so they can have the final episode deal with the aftermath, like they did with the battle of Blackwater.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Without the working example and by this I mean something like seeing Waldo in parliament and having the team work behind it, answering questions or asking them, the ending just seems too far removed from what happens before it, other than the super vague foreshadowing with the bod from 'The Agency'
    Yeah, I found that somewhat jarring and a bit too far fetched as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I am more interested in what they are going to do with Book 4 Book 3 is fine it has enough crazy to fill 2 seasons but book 4 I can't seem to think would last a season nothing really happens in it, which means the TV is going to get very very close to having no more books to adapt since It will take a year or two to get George's next book out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Is season three covering books three and four? Man, that is an awful lot to cover in ten episodes if so.
    I meant the two parts of Book 3, but based on what Sketch says someone lied to me :/

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I am more interested in what they are going to do with Book 4 Book 3 is fine it has enough crazy to fill 2 seasons but book 4 I can't seem to think would last a season nothing really happens in it, which means the TV is going to get very very close to having no more books to adapt since It will take a year or two to get George's next book out.
    I'd imagine they might combine 4 and 5 so not to have the long periods of time where major characters aren't involved and to keep the chronology concurrent rather than replaying the same swathe of time from different perspectives. Which'll be great as I think pretty much everyone thinks that the way books 4 and 5 were arranged was a bit of an error (though it was quite cool seeing how events got misinterpreted by those far away as rumours spread and were changed in the telling).