Page 57 of 169 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3369
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think it helped that you had this large, majestic craft in the Enterprise D and to see it fire on something just made it look even cooler. And then you had the futuristic refit from 'All Good Things', which in itself was an amazing hour and a half of science fiction, made all the better by hearing the lines "There's another ship decloaking. It's the Enterprise!" "We'll get their attention" *Blows up a battleship so hard it FLIES THROUGH WHERE IT WAS BECAUSE NO DEBRIS WAS LEFT*

I think one of the top YouTube comments highlights it best:
    Riker: "I'll see if I can get the Klingons' attention. Helmsman, Riker Maneuver Alpha...y'know, a wicked upward spiral rollover 720 McTwist thingy. Weapons officer, arm forward murdercannon bank, set power to 'Rip Several New Assholes', and fire at will."
    I think Robot Wars was a Friday? Can't believe I missed that in the previous posts. Lives on through the spirit of Spaced though. Anyhow, I agree with a lot of what you said regarding shaping TV preferences. That slot had a surprisingly great amount of high quality variety and I don't think I'd have gotten into Dr. Who if it weren't for that slot, or sci-fi in general for a long time and so on. It really was a time to look forward to.

I actually have this silly theory that Star Trek and Star Wars are sort of a beginning's guide to sci-fi. They show the core elements of what you can do with a completely different setting, with a variety of un/subtle concepts and items that can get you thinking. I look back at both of them now and find them a little hard to swallow, but I do know that TNG will forever stay with me. Maybe there's something akin to having 'a first Doctor' with Dr. Who that there is with Star Trek?
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Well thats probably why there are still wars fought over who was the best captain because people either grew up with Kirk and the original series, Picard with TNG, or Sisko with DS9 and for some people Janeway with Voyager.

Also this with TNG will always be seared to my memory:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Oh my, Robot Wars! Sir Killalot, the self righting mechanism revolution, Razor vs Hypnodisk, the utterly pointless but somewhat comedic ref bot.

Loved it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    About to watch the final of three episodes of the German series Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter (tonight, 20:15 ZDF), a mini-series about young people who end up involved in various ways in the disastrous World War II. Quite interesting, especially since it's been followed by talk shows in which historians, artists, 'old & young people' etc. discuss the series and the wider context. If you speak German it's well worth a look!

"He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    I think it helped that you had this large, majestic craft in the Enterprise D and to see it fire on something just made it look even cooler. And then you had the futuristic refit from 'All Good Things', which in itself was an amazing hour and a half of science fiction, made all the better by hearing the lines "There's another ship decloaking. It's the Enterprise!" "We'll get their attention" *Blows up a battleship so hard it FLIES THROUGH WHERE IT WAS BECAUSE NO DEBRIS WAS LEFT*
    I'm not sure I ever saw that episode, from memory I seem to recall an episode with the Enterprise C that had what I thought was an awesome battle at the time, but looking at the bits I could find on youtube its somewhat underwhelming.

I do also remember one truly awesome episode of DS9 where the Klingons attacked. Still doesn't quite match up to some of the Babylon 5 episodes though - man those quad cannon defense guns looked awesome, as did the Earth Alliance cruisers.

I think Robot Wars was a Friday? Can't believe I missed that in the previous posts. Lives on through the spirit of Spaced though. Anyhow, I agree with a lot of what you said regarding shaping TV preferences. That slot had a surprisingly great amount of high quality variety and I don't think I'd have gotten into Dr. Who if it weren't for that slot, or sci-fi in general for a long time and so on. It really was a time to look forward to.
    War Bastard vs Private Iron. Brilliant. Oh how I wish Spaced had managed a few more series'

I actually have this silly theory that Star Trek and Star Wars are sort of a beginning's guide to sci-fi. They show the core elements of what you can do with a completely different setting, with a variety of un/subtle concepts and items that can get you thinking. I look back at both of them now and find them a little hard to swallow, but I do know that TNG will forever stay with me. Maybe there's something akin to having 'a first Doctor' with Dr. Who that there is with Star Trek?
    Yeah I think thats pretty accurate, not sure its anything specific in them that acts as an introduction other than the fact they've simply entered the public consciousness more so than others and as a result people feel more prepared to give them a chance to see what the fuss is about

Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    Oh my, Robot Wars! Sir Killalot, the self righting mechanism revolution, Razor vs Hypnodisk, the utterly pointless but somewhat comedic ref bot.

Loved it.

Hah, I'd completely forgotten about ref bot. Just looking back at some of the robots now there's so much I'd forgotten. I remember Razor as the one that always looked like it should be awesome but often fell to reliability problems. Hynodisc I do remember clearly - its difficult to forget something able to shred sheet metal! Am I right in recalling one called Cassius Clay or something that was the first one able to right itself? That was pretty awesome

Obscure Node
    Wisconsin (I'd like to be in Kansas), USA
    Going to be not all that outrageous and say: The Following, Cosmos, Hawaii Five 0, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Touch, Hogan's Heroes, Last Man Standing (US sitcom), Numb3rs...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    I'm not sure I ever saw that episode, from memory I seem to recall an episode with the Enterprise C that had what I thought was an awesome battle at the time, but looking at the bits I could find on youtube its somewhat underwhelming.
    'Yesterday's Enterprise' is the one you're thinking of. I dunno, the battle there was cool. Enterprise against three ships, holding the line. Whatever, that means you haven't seen the TNG finale, "All Good Things"??? My god, man. Before I continue, I want to re-emphasise that I've fallen out of much interest with ST, with the occasional watch of an episode of TNG if my boredom and its happening to be on aligns. Saying that, All Good Things is one of the very best things that has come from the Star Trek universe. An absolutely solid and incredible sci-fi story (the episode actually got awarded, and then went on to win, a Hugo Award. The only other episode of TNG to get that was the equally wonderful "The Inner Light") that's enhanced by its wonderful use of characters and some sterling acting by Patrick Stewart. Also, kick-ass Enterprise D.

It's one of those episodes of any show that if you see is on you go "Oh man, I totally have to watch that! Screw whatever else I need to do!" I strongly recommend you go and watch it.

I remember Razor as the one that always looked like it should be awesome but often fell to reliability problems. Hynodisc I do remember clearly - its difficult to forget something able to shred sheet metal! Am I right in recalling one called Cassius Clay or something that was the first one able to right itself? That was pretty awesome
    That all sounds right. I do remember when Razor eventually was given a self-righting mechanism too, making it even cooler. It looked like talons that would emerge from the main crushing arm. It was a shame too when Hypnodisc eventually got to the final, or semi-final or whatever and then got defeated by a mere flip. Blergh. I actually think the series lost its punch because the flair of interesting weapons and design choices went out the window to "NEED A BIGGER FLIPPER". Ah well. Actually, I seem to recall that Cassius Clay, not only being the first one to flip itself back up, but actually did it while inside The Pit. I think they were counted as already out, but that was definitely awesome.