Page 63 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 3109
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Spartacus was made on a shoestring budget and pulled off a MUCH better battle than Blackwater in the last episode. It was better than most movie battles, actually. I like Neil Marshall but whoever directed the Spartacus finale shat all over Game of Thrones. It had a better sense of scale, a lot of crazy action mini-setpieces...
    It's also entirely shot in a studio with green screens, unlike Thrones which is shot on location. Don't get me wrong. I like Spartacus (it's a guilty pleasure), but they're different beasts entirely.

Also maybe lose the gif. Not all of us are up to date with the series.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Hopefully this rig and the new handheld stabilizer revealed 10 days ago will lead to better, more clear action across the board.
    This actually looks more interesting, for location shooting: -

http://gizmodo.com/5993678/this-new-...graphy-forever

(watch the movie at the top)
    Last edited by Kadayi; 15-04-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Something like this in Game of Thrones would just be awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v9Ncc5TE#t=56s
    I love me some Spartacus: Wang and Sand, but that very shot of Spartacus running up the hill in slomo had me laughing so hard I had to pause so my girl could come into the room to see what the fuss was about. This kind of action would absolutely be out of place in Westeros; if I ever see Arya Stark stabbing someone in slow motion mid-jump I think I'll have to stop watching the show entirely.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The part where he turns his head to slo-mo yell at the camera had me cracking up
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I liked at 1:30 how he gently stoops under someones sword, and poor Crassus is looking lost the entire time.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Game of Thrones Season 3 Episode 3. What. The. Fuck. What the fuck? WHAT THE FUUUUUUUCK?! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT? WHAT WAS THAT?!1! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

I... don't even know what else to say. I have to walk away now. From the TV, from this series, from life. Maybe I'll come back. Maybe not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    The third Oprhan Black just turned a bit darker, excited to see what's coming.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Care to put your thoughts in a spoiler tag? I personally thought it wasn't much of a go anywhere episode. Some stuff happened. Some people went places. There was a sky at some point, but overall very little seemed to be going on (at least to my eyes).

*EDIT*
    Thats for Drake btw, i haven't watch orphan black at all.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Care to put your thoughts in a spoiler tag?
    You're kidding right? The ending. The fucking ending.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'm struggling to see if you really dislike what happened, or it was a major shock.
    steam: sketch

I don't even know how to feel. It is so beyond jarring that I've been sitting here mouth agape for the last ten minutes. My jaw really hurts.

At first I thought some asshole was advertising another show over the credits like they sometimes do on TV, and it was all just a hilarious mixup. Then I started paying attention to the words. It was a modern day rock rendition of a song featured in the show - The Bear and the Maiden Fair. That by itself is just... stunning. Absolutely gobsmacked they'd throw that in. But combined with that ending? It's literally Jamie gets his hand cut off, short scream, immediate rock song. What are they going for here? Are they trying to make fun of him? Like 'hahaha, the evil rich guy got his hand cut off, let's all laugh at the sad twat!' Why would we do that, when just before it he was showing compassion for his captor Brie?

I'm amazed I'm even explaining this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stense View Post
    Big Train. (By the writer of Father Ted and the IT Crowd, starring Simon Pegg.)
    I never really got on with Big Train but you've reminded me... and I can't believe I forgot... Spaced! If you only watch one show Maknol, watch Spaced!

Father Ted is also worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    The third Oprhan Black just turned a bit darker, excited to see what's coming.
    Yeah, I'm certainly enjoying it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    snip spoliers
    I agree the transition was a little incongruous but based on the rains of castamere episode I think they're just obligated to play the commissioned song in its entirety over the credits, I don't think there was any intentional link between it and the events previous... except possibly [book spoilers] some foreshadowing of the events with Brienne later

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    I'm struggling to see if you really dislike what happened, or it was a major shock.

I'm amazed I'm even explaining this.
    What Sketch said is essentially why I asked you to explain, because while I guessed successfully what you were talking about, it wasn't entirely clear and all in all the episode wasn't particularly strong bar that one scene.

Also {spoilers} thanks to Daftpunks terrible use of spoiler tags a page or two ago, that scene was already ruined on me the moment Jamie was untied because I immediately knew "oh here we go, this is that part that was spoiled by that lad on the internet" so it didn't come as a shock.{spoilers} Which as a result of, I rather envy you getting to witness that.

Also, Spaced, Father Ted and the IT Crowd are all great. The same guy wrote Black Books which is also bloody amazing.

Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 15-04-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    I agree the transition was a little incongruous
    A little? It was the most jarring thing I've seen in 27 years of life. My initial reaction was laughter, till the words sank in and I realised it wasn't a mistake. And apart from the sudden contrast with the ending scene, there's also the fact that modern day rock renditions aren't shown in serious medieval fantasy movies or shows, ever, unless they're comedies. This is because modern day rock renditions in medieval fantasy are out of place, and therefore amusing.

Worse still, I hear they're going to use it again.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 15-04-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Banned
    A little? It was the most jarring thing I've seen in 27 years of life. My initial reaction was laughter, till the words sank in and I realised it wasn't a mistake. And apart from the sudden contrast with the ending scene, there's also the fact that modern day rock renditions aren't shown in serious medieval fantasy movies or shows, ever, unless they're comedies. This is because modern day rock renditions in medieval fantasy are out of place, and therefore amusing.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here tbh. Was it the ending?(which is how the story goes) Or the music over the end credits? Because for me personally..when the camera stops rolling I'm not too fussed what happens in truth.

A little? It was the most jarring thing I've seen in 27 years of life. My initial reaction was laughter, till the words sank in and I realised it wasn't a mistake. And apart from the sudden contrast with the ending scene, there's also the fact that [snip]

I can relate to how you feel - indeed I recall feeling like that at certain points when reading the books. But here I just thought: that's weird and moved on. I can only assume its because I knew what was coming in terms of events so that wasn't a shock and then the music was just...well...odd

I presume if they use the song again they'll use the version in keeping with the show - not sure if you realised but they sing it earlier in the episode. Again its just like the rains of castamere song in S2 where there was a version more befitting the show used within the show and another more modern version played over the credits

I wonder if its also because I'm so used to the idea that US shows don't tend to cut straight to credits. It normally goes end of ep > adverts > credits > tag (at least I believe that is right). Although I appreciate this is not true for HBO but in my own mind these days the credits are entirely divorced from the show so a jarring tonal shift is odd but not unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here tbh. Was it the ending?(which is how the story goes) Or the music over the end credits? Because for me personally..when the camera stops rolling I'm not too fussed what happens in truth.
    I think its very much the shift between the two, which I do get, but as outlined above, not so strongly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    To be fair, (no pun) being forced to listen to The Hold Steady is a fate I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Which is why I turned the television off.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    I can relate to how you feel - indeed I recall feeling like that at certain points when reading the books. But here I just thought: that's weird and moved on. I can only assume its because I knew what was coming in terms of events so that wasn't a shock and then the music was just...well...odd

I presume if they use the song again they'll use the version in keeping with the show - not sure if you realised but they sing it earlier in the episode. Again its just like the rains of castamere song in S2 where there was a version more befitting the show used within the show and another more modern version played over the credits

I wonder if its also because I'm so used to the idea that US shows don't tend to cut straight to credits. It normally goes end of ep > adverts > credits > tag (at least I believe that is right). Although I appreciate this is not true for HBO but in my own mind these days the credits are entirely divorced from the show so a jarring tonal shift is odd but not unexpected.
    I know the song features in the episode, and I knew beforehand what happened because I'd read the books. Just want to put that aside first.

You must have some crazy separation skills, because the transition is instant. The brain barely has time to process what happened before being hit with the drums and guitars. The modern version of Rains of Castamere is slow and subdued song, it's not a rock ballet in a medieval show. Black Knight, A Knight's Tale, Your Highness, Tenacious D's Wonderboy music video. Rock ballets do not belong in a medieval setting unless they're trying to be funny. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    The credit music, and the transition between them.

That was incredibly jarring for about 10 minutes... then I laughed so much my stomach hurt.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The whole episode was funny.