Page 72 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2542
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    [spoilers] John Hurt is the Doctor? then who the hell is Matt Smith? or ...? [/spoilers]

Some people are saying its The Valeyard which is a classic Doctor Who villian basically being an evil future incarnation of the Doctor. Or some say he is the Doctor that basically killed or let all the Time Lords be killed. Either way its probably a future, past, or parallel universe version of the Doctor and because its in the strand of his life he can obviously meet him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    I recently mentioned being somewhat bored of the Game of Thrones series with its numerous meandering storylines, but the latest episodes - coupled with some selective re-watching of earlier episodes and consulting the Westeros Wiki - have mostly rekindled my interest.

Cersei Lannister was one of the characters I previously failed to really place, but she's actually quite an interesting character and I'm not sure if the show lacked some background or if I just didn't notice it earlier:

As for yesterday's episode, number 8; Davos Seaworth is a great guy, and it's good to see Stannis realizing that once more.
    Lena Heady does a great job as Cersei, she's just very subtle about it. If you were to go back over season two you can see where all the cracks start appearing for her. Suddenly she's on the verge of being drunk in every scene, she almost constantly has a glass or goblet of wine in her hand and all her smiles and jokes are short lived once she doesn't have to put a face of power on anymore.

This weeks GoT was pretty great I thought. Tyrion was once again brilliant in all his scenes and Jeoffry really put the fear of god in Sansa again and just showed in two simple acts how much of a bastard he actually is. Even the scene with Sam was great, because so far I've really not been interested in him. I do agree though, when they were running away all I could think was "Pick up the f'ing knife!!"

Also, me and my girlfriend have been watching Sons of Anarchy. Never saw it before and we just got into season 2. I noticed the name "Henry Rollins" on the intro credits and thought, "oh cool, Henry Rollins is in this". Then Henry Rollins went and raped Jenna :( So looks like this will be an interesting season where everyone just has lovely picnics and nobody gets murdered at all.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Some people are saying its The Valeyard which is a classic Doctor Who villian basically being an evil future incarnation of the Doctor. Or some say he is the Doctor that basically killed or let all the Time Lords be killed. Either way its probably a future, past, or parallel universe version of the Doctor and because its in the strand of his life he can obviously meet him.
    But if he's the doctor at all then wouldn't Clara have met him? [spoilers] I mean she's apparently been all through his time stream, which would imply both the past and future (based on where the present is) [/s]. I'm just not really getting it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Lena Heady does a great job as Cersei, she's just very subtle about it. If you were to go back over season two you can see where all the cracks start appearing for her. Suddenly she's on the verge of being drunk in every scene, she almost constantly has a glass or goblet of wine in her hand and all her smiles and jokes are short lived once she doesn't have to put a face of power on anymore.
    Indeed! I supposed I missed most of it due to careless watching. Given all that happened to Cersei - within the context of living a live of luxury, of course - it's hard not to feel at least some sympathy for her. Like when Tywin Lannister ordered her to marry Loras Tyrell, she said - clearly distressed: "Father don't make me do it again, please." (Emphasis added). Her predicament was somewhat funny given her earlier attitude towards Tyrion when he was the one ordered into a marriage, but at the same time it was a nice reminder that for all her pretensions, she'll probably always be a pawn to the men in her family.

Speaking of the show's women in position of power, Daenerys was either putting up a very convincing brave face when confronted by the 'assassin' or is starting to become perhaps a little too convinced of her own power. The dragons are cool and all, but they're still not much bigger than the size of a big dog! And 8.000 spearmen aren't going to be scaling any half decently defended walls any time soon.
    Last edited by Tritagonist; 21-05-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Indeed! I supposed I missed most of it due to careless watching. Given all that happened to Cersei - within the context of living a live of luxury, of course - it's hard not to feel at least some sympathy for her.

Speaking of the show's women in position of power, Daenerys was either putting up a very convincing brave face when confronted by the 'assassin' or is starting to become perhaps a little too convinced of her own power. The dragons are cool and all, but they're still not much bigger than the size of a big dog! And 8.000 spearmen aren't going to be scaling any half decently defended walls any time soon.
    I haven't read the books that this series is based on, so this isn't spoiler territory but I think with Daenery's, she is getting very confident with what she has. She has an army that are feared by their name alone and she has dragons. People haven't seen dragons in years but they know the destructive power that they bring. Just the sight of them is probably enough to cause wide spread panic amongst some. And the dragons have gotten pretty big recently. If you compare the size of them at the start of the season to now and assume that at most, a few months have past then by next season they'll probably be big enough to eat a horse.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    But if he's the doctor at all then wouldn't Clara have met him? [spoilers] I mean she's apparently been all through his time stream, which would imply both the past and future (based on where the present is) [/s]. I'm just not really getting it.
    [Spoilers]She would only have met all of the ones up to the current incarnation, but because the Hurt Doctor/Doctor Hurt (they're both good, really) was kept as a secret and a Time Lord's mind is powerful, it's certainly conceivable that he was kept hidden away long enough. It's also worth considering that we have no idea how long his life span was. Alternatively/additionally, the only places Clara went to to fix were those The Great Intelligence went to. He had no idea about the Hurt Doctor, so there'd be no reason for him to go there and subsequently fix whatever mess he'd make.[/spoilers]
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    People haven't seen dragons in years but they know the destructive power that they bring. Just the sight of them is probably enough to cause wide spread panic amongst some. And the dragons have gotten pretty big recently. If you compare the size of them at the start of the season to now and assume that at most, a few months have past then by next season they'll probably be big enough to eat a horse.
    True, the dragons are certainly interesting and growing fast. They, at least for now, seems to have a genuine bond with Daenerys and it'll be interesting to see if that continues when they're the size of a large building. Like an earlier episode pointed out, rumours of their existence have already reached King's Landing, and no doubt it's going to attract even more (unwanted) attention as they continue to grow in size and power. From what I've gathered their return also has something to do with the increased potency of magic in the world, which is quite a nice way to tie the existence of magic into the story.

I do hope we'll see the large army of undead and White Walkers of last season and this seasons first episode again. They seem to have gotten lost between the glaciers and rocks.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Also don't forget Davos did say that even the smallest Dragon could eat a man whole and I'm guessing a few people have read that history book. So its no wonder Dragons alone could be feared let alone 8000 of the finest sword fighters.

With the exception of the sixth season, I love Reno 911!. Any so-called "Top Ten Best Moments In..." list that doesn't include Travis Juniors' fucking horrific tour of the cells for the Junior Deputies is woefully incomplete.

"This here's a jail cell. Sorry it smells like jizz. But, uh, I think that's just jizz. See this wall up here? We got the glass partition that separates the prisoner from the sheriff's department. Anybody got a guess why we don't use metal bars up there any more? It's actually a pretty funny story. We had this fella in here, crystal meth tweaker fella. And he was here all night, and he would stick his head in the toilet and fill it with water and spit it on the floor. By morning, there was about a half an inch of water all over the cell in here. Then he climbed up there, and you see that light fixture? He yanked it down out of the ceiling, and he pulled the wires apart and he attached them to either side of the metal bars. So in the morning, one of the deputies came in, touched his key to open the damn door, and he just blew up like a goddamn s'more. Bam! Just fried that son-bitch. You could smell the burn all the way through the station. His belt buckle, it got so hot, it, like butter... it just fell right through the leather of his belt. And it kept going, and it sliced his balls off... cauterized those balls as it was going, so there wasn't even a drop of blood. Two balls on the ground. No blood. Cauterized. Any questions? All right, let's keep going with the goddamn tour."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    @ Tritagonist

Funnily enough the portrayal of Cersei is one of the things I think has been done well in the TV series. In the books I didn't feel any real sympathy for her until chapters started being done from her point of view (and even then she's still a bit . . . well . . . deranged really), whereas you get much more of a feeling in the show for the shitty positions she finds herself in and how she's just trying to deal herself a decent hand. Also I think Lena Headey does a fantastic job of portraying her increasing stress and agitation at losing her grip over her son and her power.

I always seem to end up praising her in this thread, clearly I'm a little bit obsessed. Well her and Charles Dance too! Tywin is the man.

Tywin is the best and I just love how he looms over everyone with his no nonsense attitude and voice.

It's very nice to see Gillian Anderson in Hannibal. I read that she was nearly cast as the mayor in Defiance but turned it down. The role instead went to Julie Benz, which seems more in keeping with the quality of that show.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Arrested Development is now back! Hooray!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanban View Post
    Arrested Development is now back! Hooray!
    Completely binged and watched all of this in one day. Really enjoyed it. Takes a few episodes to fully get going (ignore anyone who says it's not very good initially, it is, there's just a little too much George Snr - who is always funnier the less he's used more sparingly) but kicks in fantastically when Tobias gets more involved and all the little strands being laid start building up. The League of Gentlemen style simultaneous timeline thing works well for it.

There's some expected/unexpected calbacks to old character/jokes, some good new additions and some glorious silliness to enjoy.

Now I might have a more slow paced marathon of watching series 1-3 again followed by this, no doubt I'll spot a lot more visual gags the next time around.

Anyone watching Orphan Black?

I binged on Arrested Development too, I found it more of a mixed bag than Lambchops, though I agree there's too much George Sr. Really though I just wonder at the plot structure, whereby nothing at all gets resolves or they spent hours developing storylines that led to no real pay-off (Mexican Wall, Michael's film etc).

I quite enjoyed the Tobias eps, but felt the best episodes were the ones towards the end focusing on George Michael (Maharis) and Maeybe, the final scene was very fitting too as Michael seems to have stopped saying 'I've made a huge mistake' in favour of continuing to perpetuate his huge mistakes.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Halfway into Arrested Development and really not sure about it. The jokes are still there, but the plot doesn't really go anywhere because of each episode covering a similar period of time, plus filling in all the history. It really does just feel like by the end we'll be caught up on what they've been doing the past seven years and all set and ready for the series to actually start.

Obscure Node
    My family just started watching Dexter. Its really very good. Although I must agree with the statement "Dexter is a show about a criminal mastermind who makes dumbass decisions".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    ArrNetflix Development has the worst narrative structure I've ever seen. The issue isn't too much George Senior, it's too much Ron Howard recapping — at length — what we just saw..

Such a huge cast, and yet so many sadly missing now.