Page 78 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2544
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    One of the reasons I like Pawn Stars is that it actually seems like they don't hate each other. In contrast to ax men or that detroit pawn shop. It also pushes some of the same buttons as Antiques Roadshow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    New Futurama, yay! Started off with a double-bill and I thoroughly enjoyed both. I was interested how they were somehow going to merge the main and sub-plot of the second episode, but they pulled it off well. I also sort of wish the Planet Express Ship in the second episode looked like how it did in the first, what with it being completely awesome, but it certainly would've been impractical. Whatever, good start back up.

As for everything else, Mad Men has remained consistently excellent this season. The last few episodes have completely knocked it out the park and I cannot wait for the season final next week. I've been dithering with Orphan Black, haven't watched any more since I last posted about it, but I'll probably kick in to watching that when Mad Men finishes. I have, however, started watching Party Down and three episodes (out of 20) in and I'm not sure. I know a few people properly raved about it as being utterly hilarious, and maybe it will get much better, but so far it's been very mediocre. There's been a few moments that have got a good laugh out of me and others with a few grins, but otherwise it feels a little try-hard despite the premise, of failed actors/writers/performers working in a crappy catering company, being funny enough on its own. Considering how few episodes there are, I feel interested to watch it to the end just to see what it does, but I also don't know if I can be bothered.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Add me to the Party Down ravers. Stick with it.

I just watched the first episode of In The Flesh, which I was not expecting to be any good. I've been (un)pleasantly surprised

Defiance, the only good thing on TV now Game of Thrones has finished for another year.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Continuum has gotten interesting again what with Alecs' new girlfriend (Lacey from Caprica?) turning out to be [some kind of super-soldier/ninja/probably-from-the-future], and last weeks shock ending of [ Agent Gardner being suddenly and unceremoniously shot in the head.]

Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Defiance, the only good thing on TV now Game of Thrones has finished for another year.
    Really? It scored 57 on Metacritic (vs 90 for Game of Thrones) and it comes across as fairly rubbish in this trailer

Also is this the same show that's also a game or something?

I wasn't comparing it to Game of Thrones, that would be like comparing 2pac to Dappy. Yeah, it is a decent enough show, yeah it is a game too, thankfully the show is more interesting than the game. It is low budget tv Sci Fi and I am surprised Kevin Sorbo isn;t in it. But I enjoy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Defiance had potential and it definitely wins from being the only "futurey" sci-fi show on american TV. Warehouse 13 is a much better show, but it is also much more "realistic" in that it largely takes place in the present day with present day technology and present day visuals and only a few special effects per episode (it is X-Files with better acting and a less out-there script).

I watched the first few episodes of Defiance and it seemed okay, but it also seems like the writers (or, more likely, SyFy) can't decide if they want to explore the, actually quite interesting, world or if they just want to target soap opera watchers and rehash Romeo and Juliet (with acting comparable to a young DiCaprio as Romeo and John Leguizamo as Mercutio)

And, I admit I am a bit biased against Defiance as it is likely the reason why Eureka was cancelled for "budget" purposes (seriously, look at the timeline) and why Warehouse 13 is getting flushed as well (I suspect the quite moving and excellent Eureka series finale might be what got Warehouse the extra season. Seriously, every sci-fi fan owes it to themselves to watch that love letter to the genre). And considering that Eureka was always a show about making the world a better place through technological progress, innovation, and discovery while Defiance, at best, can be argued as "No matter what we do, the world won't really change and will probably get a bit worse", that pisses me off QUITE a bit.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Orphan Black's finished for the year - great finale, they managed to add a couple more interesting twists in the final episode too. Will definitely be following this one when it returns next year, and Tatiana Maslany deserves all the awards that aren't probably going to go to the GoT cast.

Hannibal is also coming to a close this week (or is it next?). It's been dying in the ratings so I'm relieved it's been renewed for another season. The visual style is like nothing else, and the tension between the characters is fantastic - especially Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal, who starts of quite subdued but by the end of the season is definitely starting to show his true colours. I like how each interpretation of Hannibal is so different - Mads' character is so different to Anthony Hopkins and Brian Cox, but still very recognisable. The whole cast is great though, with some memorable guest roles going to Gillian Anderson and Eddie Izzard. So excited for the finale and what comes next. Confession: This is the first Bryan Fuller show I've ever followed. Over the summer I need to go back and watch others.

Summer is also for Arrested Development. I'm going to rewatch the first 3 seasons before starting on the latest, because it's been a while.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Watched the end of The Americans and have to say this really started strong out of the gate, the first season was just slow paced but really tense and each element was just pitched at the right level, the spy stuff was intriguing and engaging, the characters were likeble but had faults that pushed drama and the cinematography is sometimes just gorgeous. The only problem I have is that some things can be a little undercooked or placed there because the writers said so like the "separation" over half way through or how Nina really cares for Vlad's safety for some reason. But its a lot stronger then other first seasons so I am definitely up for a second season!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Carried on with Breaking Bad finally and I'm enjoying it now. I appreciate the short title sequence particularly.

Got around to starting to watch Wilfred. This show is quite dark and quite awesome.

Also, I am not sure if it was a trick of the light, but I think they might have actually cut a hole in the bear's mouth-region...
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

About to start watching Falling Skies on demand before season 3 starts. (never knew we had sky ondemand already thought we had to pay extra for it).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Got around to starting to watch Wilfred. This show is quite dark and quite awesome.

Also, I am not sure if it was a trick of the light, but I think they might have actually cut a hole in the bear's mouth-region...
    Personally I think Wilfred prefers Raffi.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by roryok View Post
    I just watched the first episode of In The Flesh, which I was not expecting to be any good. I've been (un)pleasantly surprised
    In the Flesh was the best thing I saw on TV this year. So far at least.

Turned a few friends on to Sherlock (BBC), (re)watched Season 1.

Such a great show. And a lot more fun the second time around since I can catch a lot of the foreshadowing now. And a certain line about not being a hero is VERY moving in light of the second season/series (you crazy redcoats). Was great fun, even if both friends are wrong for not thinking Jim Moriarty is freaking awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I knew Cranston did Seinfeld, but I didn't realize that Bob Odenkirk and Anna Gunn did guest spots too. In fact, Seinfeld is a veritable minefield of familiar faces: I've picked out Jeremy Piven, Teri Hatcher, Patton Oswalt, Peter Stormare, Catherine Keener, Patrick Warburton, Courtney Cox, Judge Reinhold and Stephen Kraus. Reminds me of the way that roughly half the cast of Mr. Show (speaking of Odenkirk) went on to success, although the stars actually made it out in that case.

Obscure Node
    King of the hill is great

Gundato, thanks for reminding me about Warehouse 13! Eureka was awesome, but I completely forgot about Warehouse,even after seeing their crossover episode.

----------

I was recently, massively, inadvertently distracted from gaming by a pair of shows on Netflix.

The first was Tron Uprising, a CG cartoon prequel to Tron Legacy I spotted after accidentally hitting Netflix's "for kids" button. It's similar in maturity to Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, and I mentally group those two together with Beast Wars and Reboot in terms of both my fondness for them and, of course, their CG-iness. The visual style of Tron's characters took a bit of getting used to, but the rest looked awesome right away, and the music was really good. Hit up the Tubes for the first episode, "Beck's Beginning". It even has a train chase toward the end where the score does a pretty excellent Tron-themed Inception ripoff.

The second took me in a completely different direction. After watching a humorous Korean action movie (Quick), Netflix suggested that I watch My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. It's basically a single-season Korean soap opera about an aspiring action star who falls in love with but is simultaneously terrified of/weirded out by a mythological fox girl who wants to become human (and who already looks entirely human, worry you not). HOWEVER! Just as the highly-annoying (to me) drama gets to be too much, hilarity ensues! The music's pretty enjoyable, too, but the humor is what kept me watching. The Gumiho has a naive culture-clash thing going on, and the action movie director and the boyfriend's aunt spend time in the embarassing-moment and absurdity camps.

Anyway, I highly recommend both!