Page 93 of 155 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 3096
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    I recently watched Battlestar Galactica, season 1. It wasn't bad, had some nice characters and ideas, but some elements (like that baltar dude) grew more and more annoying. Oh, and the Cylons stopped making sense at all.

Is it worth watching later seasons?
    If you already are having issues, I would say avoid. The Cylons make even less sense as they go on (I think the writers admitted that from the end of the third season onwards, they just started making shit up - it shows) and Baltar's character is used as filler whenever they need to have a character be or do something later on. Problem with the show is that it's very easy to just watch episodes. I got to the end of the show and then kept finding more and more things wrong with it once I finished the ending.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    [QuoteAt least it didn't end like Lost.[/quote]

Interesting cause i thought the ending o Battlestar Galactica was a lot worse then Lost!

mmmm, "conceptual" spoilers ahead?

The difference for me was that Lost tried to answer everything (and it was terrible) while the Galactica left things hanging. Thing is that a show about mysteries can never answer them satisfactorily. I prefer that it doesn't try instead of trying and failing terribly.
    So by keeping some mysteries BSG ending made sense if you accept the show's logic, while Lost tried so hard to explain everything that it made no sense at all and felt completely silly.

Best thing that could've happened to lost was to be cancelled after its first season.

Anyway. Personal preferences and all that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    You don't like Baltar? It's the best thing in all the show next to the music.

I loved the show and enjoyed every second of it, but if you just liked it it might not be the thing for you. I'd recommend watching season 2 as it has some of the best episodes in all the series. If there is a point you stop enjoying it leave it as there is certainly a drop of quality in season 3. Season 4 sees a return to previous quality but it's too late for the show by then.

You watched the miniseries first, right?
    Yes I did.

Baltar is funny at times, except for the moments when he is being insanely stupid and a saboteur tool. Nice to hear Cylons never start making sense, at least I will stop hoping. To be honest at the end of season 1 they are pretty much doomed in terms of being ever reasonable anyway.

I suppose I will check season 2 at some point, the show does have many redeeming qualities.

I'd recommend you watch up to season's 2 episode 12. Episodes 10,11 and 12 are the best Galactica can give you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    I watched Da Vinci's Demons over two days. The first episode was sort of shitty but had a lot of potential.
    Then every episode was better than the last. It's a really fun show! The story is crazier and better than Assassin's Creed. It involves stuff like a map of South America and a trip to Dracula's castle. The cast is very strong and some characters have excellent arcs.
    It's also GORGEOUS:

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'd recommend you watch up to season's 2 episode 12. Episodes 10,11 and 12 are the best Galactica can give you.

Then skip after season 3 opener and closer to the season 4 two episode about the revolt and end it there!

The difference for me was that Lost tried to answer everything (and it was terrible) while the Galactica left things hanging. Thing is that a show about mysteries can never answer them satisfactorily. I prefer that it doesn't try instead of trying and failing terribly.
    So by keeping some mysteries BSG ending made sense if you accept the show's logic, while Lost tried so hard to explain everything that it made no sense at all and felt completely silly.

Hmm I have to disagree with that I thought Lost final season yes tried to answer questions with answers that made no sense but I thought the finale got what the show was more striving to be the great character drama and I thought it did an ending or that pretty well. Now it wasn't great and I've read Film Crit Hulks great piece on why it wasn't good and I can see why but I actually thought it was pretty damn good anyway despite a lot of the problems.

Now with Battlestar Galacticas it was dissapointing cause the ending of the final five thing was really like really? and it was confusing(what is up with Starbucks character) for no apparent reason being mysterious and mythological when it basically forgot how to do that well two seasons ago. The whole bit was kind of nice, but the after ending was a bit huh?

Best thing that could've happened to lost was to be cancelled after its first season.

Well i thought its best season was season 2 but I thought it did a nice job after season 4 to be honest.

Anyway. Personal preferences and all that.

Well yes. I'm glad they were both on and it kind of looks like science fiction shows really took a nose dive after those two programs ended so I feel that you shouldn't argue which one was better which is a stupid contest and ask what the hell happened and how can we fix it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    So, am I the only one who remembers the 70s version? Haven't seen the recent one, how does it compare? Obviously the Cylons are, shall we say, different, but are there any goofy western episodes with Cylon gunslingers a la The Lost Warrior?
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    So, am I the only one who remembers the 70s version? Haven't seen the recent one, how does it compare? Obviously the Cylons are, shall we say, different, but are there any goofy western episodes with Cylon gunslingers a la The Lost Warrior?
    It's a serious take. More drama than action and/or adventure

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, I am pretty sure they lost me. Between the horrible accents, the fact that I kind of want all of the cast except for Sweets to die, and that they shipped Sweets off (even temporarily) basically threw me from the series. And the villain just REALLY annoys me. I can tolerate bad computer knowledge (I watch NCIS, the TV show where, to hack faster, they had two people have seizures on the same keyboard), but this is just absurd AND is basically the entire plot.

Also, what REALLY annoyed me: In the season premier, Boreanez is all sad because he has no idea how to find Larry Stu The Hacker and wha wha wha. Then his buddy, Freddie Prinze Jr, says "Hey, if you need anything, give me a shout" and Boreanez can't even seem to think of anything. Uhm...
    Something that drove me mad happened in the same episode. Boreanez's character has a trusted friend who is a former priest running a bar. He uses said friend's cellar under the bar as a place where the evil superhacker can't eavesdrop on him in order to confide in his friend how painful it is that he can't tell Bones the truth for fear of the evil superhacker eavesdropping on them. And yet this issue remains unresolved.

Sleepy Hollow had a bad one this week. Sarah-Buffy Connor (aka Jenny) finally gets involved in the main plot and it turns out she was indeed a much more interesting character than her sister, the show's main sidekick. But Ichabod accidentally reverts to the annoying overbearing guy who was in the pilot, and the story was pretty dreadful and full of dense clusters of exposition told poorly. Also, did you know the Boston Tea Party was orchestrated by Ichabod just to create a diversion so he could sneak aboard a ship?

Also they set up another villain - this time a German mercenary who continues the cult of the evil hessians that loosed the headless horseman on the world. He gets a great monologue, plays his role with nice gravitas, and then gets immediately killed off. Bah.

I won't mention this show every week, I promise.

---

@SirKicksalot, thanks for reminding me about Da Vinci's Demons! I remember the promotional stuff for it last year but it kind of slipped through the cracks for me. Time to check it out.
    Last edited by Screwie; 09-10-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Something that drove me mad happened in the same episode. Boreanez's character has a trusted friend who is a former priest running a bar. He uses said friend's cellar under the bar as a place where the evil superhacker can't eavesdrop on him in order to confide in his friend how painful it is that he can't tell Bones the truth for fear of the evil superhacker eavesdropping on them. And yet this issue remains unresolved.
    In the writers defense, they DID think of that plothole while simultaneously making another. Boreanez can't tell her because she would get all happy and not mopey and Larry Stu would know Boreanez did stuff and would kill people (in addition to the people he will already be killing). So that actually makes sense to the degree any of this makes sense.

But then the priest tells her anyway, she is happy, and people don't die. So... yeah.

In better-ish news: Watched Agents of SHIELD last night. That episode was actually kind of bad. Mostly because it focused on the characters themselves (rather than the macguffin of the week), but the actors and actresses are still pretty weak. Hopefully Team Whedon (likely Jed and Marissa) have already realized this and the rest of the season goes back to the formula of "Cool shiny thing is out there, let's see how the team reacts to that", which worked pretty well for the premier and okay for the second episode.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    See I thought the latest episode of Agents of SHIELD was pretty good. I absolutely believe they can do a Saturday Morning feel, but with the quality of something much better. I think it's just going to take a few more episodes to hit any sort of stride. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it took for the second season to really get things going at a good pace. I get the impression the show was made with little heavy thought as to what, exactly, it should be as opposed to "We should make a show piggy-backing off the success of The Avengers" which seems to be the case.

Latest Brooklyn Nine-Nine actually got several laughs out of me, possibly more than the previous three episodes combined. I'm not 100% there though with it, but I've been swayed back to giving it more time than I was thinking of. If there aren't too many episodes in a season, but it stays as is, I might give it a watch as a cheap 20 minute amusing filler. Hopefully it maintains upwards direction. On the other side, I still don't feel like New Girl has really settled into the new season properly. This episode was okay, but so have all the others so far. Are they coasting until something else comes along...? Not bad, but not as good as the good stuff in the second season.