Page 101 of 156 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3118
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
    But Muppets Christmas Carol will be on. And the Snowman. And Nightmare Before Christmas. And Die Hard. And Gremlins. And Jingle All the Way .
    All of the best christmas movies listed right there.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    - "You're scanning my balls?!"
    That whole conversation sold me on the show ;)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    That whole conversation sold me on the show ;)
    Show is boring, not funny, exposes Urban for the B grade actor he is and pretty much leaves him hanging out to dry. That's not a bad thing, some B grade actors appear in great shows and work well in them - think Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood and Justified. Pilot was all kinds of suck and next couple of episodes didn't get any better.

Disappointing as there is little in the way of sci-fi happening anywhere right now. Person of Interest just jumped the shark in it's mid season finale and while I love Amy Acker (why is she not getting more film roles?) I don't think she can carry the back part of this season on her own (please prove me wrong Amy!).

Aaaaaand while Revolution has always been all kinds of dumb, it managed to lower iq's everyhwere during it's mid season finale.

Maybe the crazy of Sleepy Hollow can tide me over untill Helix airs. Oh and seaon two of Orphan Black. Can't wait. Best show.
    Last edited by baby snot; 12-12-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: pedantry

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Strike Back, so far starring Thorin Oakenshield and that guy from The Walking Dead. It's a badass military thriller. Reminds me of that Matt Damon flick, Green Zone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I dunno, I find I can't even enjoy Sleep Hollow ironically. The writing is just way too predictable to surprise, the main character is the only one with a personality (except it's a dreadful, tedious personality) and there's so little wit throughout the whole thing. It just feels like they are weaving this long narrative thread togather and sacrificing everything else - personality, charm, world-building - to do it. I can see others want to see where it goes, but for me that's not enough (especially because what's been shown already has hardly raised an eyebrow).

For all its faults, Almost Human seems to be getting more of the basic stuff right and actually building something.

After a solid start, Almost Human has had a couple of pretty weak episodes which is sad. The show seems to be at its best when it actually explores the impact of crazy future tech (the sexbot episode) and its worst when it simply uses it as a narrative trick to tell a typical story (the latest episode and its use of psychics and cloning). The amount of gadgetry is fine - in fact they could throw more in there and I'd be happier - but some technologies need to be elevated above that and given a serious look.

I don't mind Karl Urban, but Lili Taylor is dreadful. She's the only notably terrible piece of casting in the show, as the latest episode ably demonstrated.

Right now I don't hold out much hope for a second season. Particualrly since it's a FOX show like Sleepy Hollow and I don't imagine they'll keep two expensive shows around. The unfathomable success of Sleepy Hollow will continue to grate me for years to come, I'm sure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I continue to watch Agents of SHIELD, primarily because of inertia at this point.

This week's episode was also pretty crap. It is continuing to play up Agent Cardboard banging Ming Na and continues to beat us over the head with lab-geek 1 having the hots for lab-geek 2 (NOBODY saw that coming...), and it continues to kill the "Badass professional" aspect of Coulson from the Iron Man movies (he went from being the guy who would joke about tasing Stark and watching TV to the guy who throws all rules out the window to coddle some girl looking for her lost parents and compromising SHIELD security in the process...)

That being said: the return of Gunn was nice, shame they probably can't keep him. And the cliffhanger reminded us of why it is painful to watch a "spy show" if you know anything about military tactics and the like (even The A-Team movie did a better job...). Even Burn Notice would at least lampshade the incredibly stupid crap.

Also, they are milking the "Coulson Lives" thing for all it is worth. Not sure if they are going LMD anymore or a different resurrection technique.

And it is still unclear if "Centipede" is HYDRA or AIM. Their style is definitely AIM, but the beekeepers were already used in Iron Man 3 and were played up as pretty small and ineffectual. And they definitely are evoking the "cut one head off, two appears" that makes HYDRA fun. My prediction is that they are going to just keep it as "Centipede" but are going to treat it as a mixture of/offshoot of HYDRA and AIM. Avoid HYDRA for the nazi-aspect, avoid AIM because Disney already used it.

However, I am optimistic for the second half of the season based off the previews. Looks like Agent Cardboard will still be around (ugh), but it looks like they are working their way from "CIA with superheroes" to "SHIELD" with the introduction of the standard issue onesie (a clip suggested the entire team wears the super suit Gunn wore in this week's ep). And Saffron Burrows as Victoria Hand works really well. I can definitely see her as the well-intentioned director-like character. Also, I am now annoyed that James Spader is Ultron as he would make a GREAT Director Osborne while also making Boston Legal references.

So yeah, currently I am hoping that the plan was to start it off as a shitty teen soap drama then migrate to a proper SHIELD show. Sort of like how the Marvel Movieverse as a whole is evolving from individual superhero movies to a proper intertwined universe.
    Last edited by gundato; 12-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    Show is boring, not funny, exposes Urban for the B grade actor he is and pretty much leaves him hanging out to dry. That's not a bad thing, some B grade actors appear in great shows and work well in them - think Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood and Justified. Pilot was all kinds of suck and next couple of episodes didn't get any better.
    Is anyone claiming it's Shakespeare? Or that Urban's a great actor? No more culturally offensive a TV show than Castle or Arrow in terms of acting, action or story lines in truth, and at least it's not hanging its entire narrative on eye rolling /facepalm bullshit like the book of revelations, witchcraft and the devil as with Sleepy Hollow.

As an aside, why the hell has no one tapped into doing a modern day Cthulhu based show? That be all sorts of great in terms of introducing supernatural phenomena without any of the predictable trite that accompanies anything that's drawing off of traditional demonic tropes like Sleepy Hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by baby snot View Post
    eh I like Urban, sure most of the character's he plays are a bit one-note "grouchy" sorts, but at least he can deliver his lines convincingly. The actor playing the Captain on the show is all sorts of terrible.

Obscure Node
    South park S14 finale today. So i'll be watching that soon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    eh I like Urban, sure most of the character's he plays are a bit one-note "grouchy" sorts, but at least he can deliver his lines convincingly. The actor playing the Captain on the show is all sorts of terrible.
    Yeah she's not great and needlessly suspicious cop is pretty one note. Beyond looking great I'm not entirely sure what Minka Kelly is there for yet either. On the flip side of that Mackenzie Crook just looks like he's got a serious heroin habit on the go.

Watching the third season of Walking Dead and unlike the first two, it's actually good. Color me surprised.
    Postmortem: one must die- Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation!

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Meh. Even if some episodes were nice, there's still so much bullshit here.

Q: You're driving a car through the world filled with danger, there are 3 people with you as passengers, the radio catch up some noise, what are you doing?

a) You're paying attention on the road and let your buddy chceck the radio.
    b) You (and all your buddies) are staring at the radio (because it's obvious that radio works like TV, with images and shit) so no one can see huge herd of zombies staying on the road.

If your answer is a), sorry, your character have too much common sense, we can't hire you.

Anyway, why am I still watching TWD? ._.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Arrow had an incredibly awesome midseason finale. Hard to believe the same team was responsible for that shitty Green Lantern movie.
    Hopefully The Flash will get a show that's just as good. The way they build up his character in Arrow is great.

I am now completely up to date with Elementary.

Johnny Lee Miller continues to impress as Holmes, and Rhys Ifans is an inspired bit of casting as Mycroft. The first episode of the second season impressed me by not using London Calling over an establishing shot of London, even if the use of an Oasis song instead was almost as on the nose.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Elementary is very good, actually a toss-up between which sherlock I enjoy more.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Watched the Homeland season finale last night. I sure as fuck didn't think it would end with Brody strung up by a crane. Holy shit.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Been meaning to get around to Elementary, I've been told by a friend with similar tastes that it's enjoyable.

Watched the finale of this season of Fresh Meat, nicely rounded up the series and looks like they've set things up for another one, which is good as it has continued to be a great show; although there has been a bit of recycling of ideas and I'm a bit worried it'll go the way of Peep Show in that it starts to repeat itself/lose it's edge in later series.

Hopefully they'll do one or two more and wrap things up while still on a high.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I still need to watch this(/next) week's Fresh Meat, but good that it rounds it out. As for length, given that each series seems to be a semester, it'd make sense for them to do six series in total. That doesn't include Josie finishing her course though, so they could presumably do an extra two semesters/series where she finishes her undergrad and they all do masters, although that seems unlikely.

EDIT:

I've now watched that episode. God damn. What a wonderful end to a great series. The entire opening was Vod at her best ("That's why everyone thinks Blair is a cunt." / "I just came in here to have a go.") and just everything else was pitch-perfect. Kimberley Nixon (Josie) and Joe Thomas (Kinglsey), the latter of which did the most acting in his scenes this episode than I think he has done in anything I've seen him in, were just unbelievably heartbreaking and their conversation at the end just showcased that the writing in Fresh Meat is subtly excellent and easily solidifies it as the most consistently well written UK show I watch. The entire power-point sketch, JP's 'friend' the Tory, JP's coming to terms (while high), the awkward but really quite endearing date and then the union leader at the end (confirming what I already thought she thought).

That said, other than the obvious hook for Vod and Oregon, I didn't really see much else, but then I don't really think this is the kind of show that needs plenty of hooks. It being 95% character driven means it's just fun to see them back on TV doing whatever it is that they do.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 18-12-2013 at 02:40 AM.