Page 102 of 169 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 3363
    Almost time for another Farscape re-watch.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Been watching Mob City starring Jon Bethnal (Shane from TWD) and produced by Frank Darabont. Set in post war LA principally about slightly shady cop with a lot of real world figures thrown into the mix. It's very noir in tone and styling and deliberately so I guess in order to differentiate itself from Boardwalk empire.

Starts of predictably enough for the first couple of episodes, but actually gets better as it proceeds. Helped in large part by the fact that it's based on a novel as I understand it. Generally solid performances, and that it's covering historical events in terms of certain characters makes it interesting.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hoo boy, I finally watched Firefly and I can understand where all the hype comes from. Stories are nothing special but the dialogues are brilliant and the characters are insanely lovable. A great pity they cancelled it, but I agree with some people that more seasons would probably be a slippery slope.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Getting through Lie to Me. Yet another brilliant short lived TV series.

Been really enjoying The Mentalist and Closer.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Things I liked about this episode of Doctor Who:

- It tied up all the loose ends that were left dangling in Smith's run.
    - The concept/idea was fun!
    - Peter Capaldi.

Things I disliked about this episode of Doctor Who:

- It tied up all the loose ends that were left dangling in Smith's run in the most hackneyed, pointlessly fast method conceivable.
    - The concept/idea was delivered in a really shallow way that felt like they couldn't work out how seriously they were supposed to deliver it.
    - Peter Capaldi wasn't on-screen for long enough.
    -The audio mixing was once again terrible. I want to hear what the characters you've written for actually are saying!
    - [Spoiler]Regenerations basically because the plot said so![/spoiler]

All-in-all, not a super hot episode.

EDIT: On further reflection, I perhaps want to emphasise that I did enjoy it throughout, but I stand by my comment that it wasn't 'super hot'.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 25-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yeah I found it intriguing and thats the best word for it, I didn't dislike it cause there were many moments that were powerful and I was a bit sad to see him go which they did pretty well, I also liked the idea of it. Its just that idea was executed weirdly...it was a bit of a mess story wise I have to say with no real one element really standing out and just going along with it.

Will miss Matt Smith a lot I think he has slowly become my favourite Doctor in this show.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    All-in-all, not a super hot episode.
    I have to agree with you there. It's a typical Moffat script: seems to make sense when you watch it, but if you think about it afterwards you notice it doesn't make a lot of sense.

I enjoyed it anyway, but it does have its problems. The final scene with Smith was very good, including the cameo. Peter Capaldi was great, looking forward to his turn as the Doctor.

South Park's Woodland Critter Christmas remains the best Christmas special there is.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I thought the Dr Who special was an incomprehensible mess, it certainly wasn't made for the casual who-viewer (or lapsed like me). I've always had a problem with Dr Who's science as magic thing, because it has a tendency to aim for emotion and character instead of actual story-telling, but for this newly gifted regeneration they didn't even give a rubbish explanation, it just kind of happened.

Also as much as I like Capaldi elsewhere I think he could be a disaster simply because of his age and the relatively young demographic Who aims for. Both my younger siblings (14 and 11) who have always watched Who, said they're not interested in watching it now in the slightest (though neither of them much liked Matt Smith either). I also feel a bit like Moffat is a little bit out of ideas as showrunner, the best recent episodes have been one-shots by guest writers and the overarching archs are overblown and almost universally unsatisfying. His Sherlock is far superior in every respect.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Yeah, whilst I'm not calling for Moffat to go, at least not right now, I do think it's time that he maybe reined it in a little. My favourite story out of the year, excluding the anniversary special, was Hide; if you'd have told me that a ghost hunting story would be my favourite of the year, I'd have been incredibly surprised. It had no sense of over-arching mystery, it was just a one-and-done story and I really feel like Capaldi's run really needs to just be about some classic adventures/stories. It'd be really fun to not have to worry about the bigger plots, as fun as they can be and instead just see what's going on for a little while.

As for the demographic issue...I dunno. Over the last few years, Doctor Who has really picked up with the 'Tumblr Crowd' and whilst it might not do the show good to lose viewers, I can't help but feel a little happy that if people are only on board because The Doctor is young or generally a pretty boy, that I don't really care if they don't want in. Part of the show's appeal is that it's there for everyone and I see no reason that Capaldi being older/the oldest should really push people away so long as he's actually interesting. If anything, I think he might be a bit of a dark horse. Considering the ridiculous attention given to his eyes alone, I think there's hope yet.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 26-12-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Because sometimes saying something is a spoiler is more of a spoiler than what you're trying to keep hidden
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Yeah, whilst I'm not calling for Moffat to go, at least not right now, I do think it's time that he maybe reined it in a little. My favourite story out of the year, excluding the anniversary special, was Hide; if you'd have told me that a ghost hunting story would be my favourite of the year, I'd have been incredibly surprised. It had no sense of over-arching mystery, it was just a one-and-done story and I really feel like Capaldi's run really needs to just be about some classic adventures/stories. It'd be really fun to not have to worry about the bigger plots, as fun as they can be and instead just see what's going on for a little while.

As for the demographic issue...I dunno. Over the last few years, Doctor Who has really picked up with the 'Tumblr Crowd' and whilst it might not do the show good to lose viewers, I can't help but feel a little happy that if people are only on board because The Doctor is young or generally a pretty boy, that I don't really care if they don't want in. Part of the show's appeal is that it's there for everyone and I see no reason that Capaldi being older/the oldest should really push people away so long as he's actually interesting. If anything, I think he might be a bit of a dark horse. Considering the ridiculous attention given to his eyes alone, I think there's hope yet.
    Fair points all, Capaldi could end up being a great Dr if the writing is up to scratch and if that means the show takes a darker turn making use of his not inconsiderable assets as a performer, I'd be happy to watch that. On the other hand I'm not entirely sure the BBC will have the balls to go down that road and we'll just end up with an older man playing the same kind of wacky as Tennant and Smith.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    No I think he would have to be put in a darker role but one of the things that I like about the current Doctor is that he can be silly as well land I don't think that is a bad thing. Iam actually of the opinion that Stefen Moffat should be replaced and just be there for a few one in done storylines, that was his strength and his run has basically proved to me this. Also not every show needs big story arcs and Doctor Who is one of them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Why would doctor who need to be darker? It's fun sci-fi. The doctor is foppish and a bit ridiculous. Darker moments, sure - Dalek is one of the best episodes for good reason, but let's not forget that season was mostly about mannequins taking over the world, blowing up robot ann robinson, and flatulent aliens taking over downing street. It really doesn't need to be dark. That's what literally every other piece of sci-fi that exists* is for. Casting Peter Capaldi is probably because people are used to seeing him as malcolm tucker, and so the difference will itself be fun.

Also, it seems to be that Moffat is taking the same trajectory as Russell T Davies. A few good seasons to start off with, and then increasingly veering into writing bad dr who fanfic. Time for a change, in my opinion.

* Not actually literally. But certainly the majority.

Whilst Doctor Who doesn't need to be darker, one of its narrative strengths is having the capability to really do...whatever the hell it is it wants to do. Now obviously since the revival it's been mostly stand-alone episodes that have reflected a particular genre, but even amongst the new stuff you can work out general tones; Moffat is heavily vested towards harder sci-fi (in terms of concepts, not at all in execution), but also some fairy-tale stuff in a way. RTD was sort of about the romance of the adventure. Past series' have been heavily focused on action or even more gothic takes. Of course, on those occasions there's been some fantastic writing to back up the great acting.

I think with Capaldi they have a real chance to do darker stuff because he's such a good actor and whilst they tried it with Eccleston, the fact the show is now properly cemented means it can dare to go that little bit further. I don't think they necessarily will and it would be cool to have the juxtaposition of an edgier Doctor with a lighter tone, but I suppose that's part of the fun in waiting to see what will happen next and as you point out, the difference in Tucker Capaldi and Doctor Capaldi should be interesting itself.

I'd also agree that as the runs go on, the leads seem to, errm, lose traction.