Page 7 of 167 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Are any Britishers watching Fresh Meat?

I went in with relatively low expectations, thinking it would be sub-inbetweeners rubbish, but have been thoroughly charmed with it. First two episodes are relatively slow, but I really feel it's settled into a fantastic comedy stride now, and I'm seeing many, many moments way too close to reality from my own student days.

It's written by Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong (Peep Show, The Thick Of It) so I guess I should've expected good based on that pedigree.

Anyway, the whole series is up now on 4oD, should you be interested. (And British)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Yeah, I quite enjoy Fresh Meat it's not particularly close to my student experience, but there are certainly recognisable types in there and they're done well, Jack Whitehall is actually pretty good in it too (not a fan of his 'I'm posh, lol' stand-up, but it works in this context).

My only slight problem with the writing is that each episode seems to come up with a contrived reason for two characters with nothing in common to hang out and 'bond' with each other (this weeks, JP & Oregon, last week JP and Howard, week before was Vod and Howard in a throwaway one episode semi-romance). I get that in student-life you're often thrown together with people and it's awkward and you have to get by etc. Also Kingsley and Josie sometimes seem to be in a different show to everyone else.

On the whole though it's pretty good.

Did anyone watch The Fades on BBC3?

I really enjoyed it for what it was, I find it bizarre that when BBC3 try genre, the success rate, writing, acting and overall quality tends to far surpass what BBC1 can come up with (I'm mostly thinking of that abortive sci-fi mess called 'Outcasts' here).

Anyway the Fades has a storyline that sounds a bit rubbish when written down - 'Fades' are undead ghost types, who have failed to ascend, can only be seen by 'Angelics' (humans possessing varying degrees of supernatural powers, sometimes their only power is that they can see Fades). The Fades can't touch people without horrendous pain, until one angry fade seems to be able to have physical contact and starts hunting down Angelics. Enter the main character, a nerdy young man who discovers he might be an Angelic.

But synopsis aside it's crammed with good performances, it doesn't pull it's punches and it's got a shedload of pop-culture references crammed in there. Well worth a watch.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

A question: I'm just about finished reading A Game of Thrones.

Am I now safe to watch the TV series? As in.... I take it the TV series doesn't move onto story from the second book?

EDIT: Didn't see the post on this page. I completely failed to record the first episode of Fresh Meat but am toying with the idea of watching it back on 4od.

As for The Fades, I wasn't much interested when it came on but in the last few weeks I've heard a few people saying good things about it so, again, might try and catch up on it.

Also I've just noticed that Game of Thrones isn't out on DVD yet anyway.
    Last edited by Ian; 28-10-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Am I now safe to watch the TV series? As in.... I take it the TV series doesn't move onto story from the second book?
    Yep, the first season basically just goes through the plot of the first book. There are a few things from the second book in the last episode but there not really that big and I'm guessing there still going to go more in depth in the second season anyway. So yeah I would say you can.

Oh yes I must watch The Fades, after watching the 4th episode of Merlin. I'm finding Merlin quite good, its definitely gotten a lot darker with 2 deaths so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    I can't help myself, I'm going to give a couple of 'season 8' episodes a go. (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to admit to downloading TV shows. But my first exposure to Futurama was through downloads, and I ended up buying the seasons 1-4 box sets despite having watched (almost?) every episode on my computer.)
    Decided to start with 'The Tip of the Zoidberg', and I really enjoyed it! I'm sure my low expectations helped, but I found it genuinely funny and even a little bit heartwarming. Any suggestions on what to watch next?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Frozen Planet has some incredible footage, though perhaps the most astounding thing of all is an 80 year old David Attenborough narrating from the poles themselves. The man must have serious balls, I would have thought they'd place him in the comfort of a sound booth and splice in the voiceovers over the footage.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Any suggestions on what to watch next?
    The last episode I think is probably the best of the season and really it comes closest to old futurama to me, so definitly watch that one. I won't spoil it because a lot of the fun is discovering the different styles and references they put in that episode.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Have any one of you mates watched a short TV drama series called Generation Kill? As I am aware of it contains only 7 episodes. It is based on a non-fiction with the very same name, recording the 2003 US invasion of Iraq through the author's (I dont know his / her exact name, but he / she is a journalist) experience with a recon unit of the US Marine. If my information is accurate this is a HBO production.

You can read all about Gen Kill here. It was written by Evan Wright, and Burns and Simons of The Wire which is what first brought it to my attention.

It's very good. It's a peek at the boredom, tension and frustration of war. Most of all, it's very, very funny. It has some of my favourite dialogue ever.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Any suggestions on what to watch next?
    If you haven't watched all of the original series with the DVD commentary tracks, DO IT. DO IT NOW.

The latest season isn't terrible, unlike the previous one. Check the user ratings if you want to skip the mediocre episodes:

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Informati...Guide/Season8/

Loved Generation Kill, watched it again waiting for bf3 - only downside of that was noticing how much of the marine dialogue in the sp campaign was 'inspired' by Gen Kill.

Has anyone seen Neverwhere? Picked it up for almost nothing, half wondering whether I should be watching or reading it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    On The Fades, my cousin actually stars as one of the Fades, so I kind of have to watch it.

I've only seen episode 1 so far and found it to be actually fairly watchable. It was not fantastic nor did it reach the heights of Being Human, even in its first series, but it certainly seems worth sticking with.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Recently I discovered Person of Interest and Lost Girl. Person of interest reminds me a great deal of The Equalizer - an old show from the mid 80's about a "fixer" who helped people solve problems like James Bond turned vigilante. This is a modern take on it in that the protagonists know ahead of time who's involved via an anti-terrorist Echelon type spy computer that disregards routine civilian plots for murder and mayhem. The architect of the system feels guilty that so much is not being prevented that he programs a back door that feeds him a social security number of the "person of interest" who is either going to cause, or be the victim of, a serious crime. He and his ex-spy henchman (and the viewer) have to figure out the plot, the players, and come up with a fix.

Lost Girl is a more fantasy procedural in the vein of Sanctuary or Dresden Files with the whole 'hidden world of monsters and magic around us" theme. A super sexy succubus discovers her true nature and that there is this geo-political division of the world into light and dark sided creatures living among us. Her and her utterly adorable show-stealing in every scene sidekick play both sides as ad-hoc mediators, problem solvers and liason with human interests. Yes, there's some quality T&A, but it's also a pretty decent show that actually researches creature mythos with an eye for keeping it real.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    If you haven't watched all of the original series with the DVD commentary tracks, DO IT. DO IT NOW.
    Man, I'm not sure where I was up to in the commentaries. Really enjoyed some of them, but at some point I must have had a reason to stop watching... I seem to remember certain cast members/writers being a lot more entertaining than others, so maybe I just got bored during a run of less-interesting commentaries. Anyway, good idea!

And thanks for the link, I've actually already been relying on the CGEF user reviews, but I'm never sure when to trust them. (Lots of people there with differing tastes to my own.) They served me well with Tip of the Zoidberg, though.

And thanks for the tip Xerxies, Reincarnation is one of the other episodes I picked out from the CGEF reviews, so I'll watch that one next.

Parks and Rec is fantastic. If you want to study Ron's pyramid in all its glory, you can find it here.
    Yes! Parks & Rec is my go to program when I'm in need of a pick me up. I dream of Ron Swanson's beard!

Thoroughly enjoyed the fades too, thought Daniel Kaluuya was brilliant as mac. Honestly didn't expect an open end to the series though, I think I would've been happier with a something more conclusive.

I thought fresh meat would be utter rubbish, but I'm hearing good things about it, so I may have to give it a go.

Has anyone been watching Top Boy which is on channel 4 in the UK this week? I've missed the first two episodes with things getting in the way and will probably miss tomorrow's, Is it any good?

Right now I'm watching Misfits, Homeland and Breaking bad.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Gonna put in a +1 for Fresh Meat. Decided on a whim to start watching it at the end of last week and I now find myself up to date and awaiting the final episode of this series. It's great and, has been mentioned, Jack Whitehall is great in it. It's also one of those shows where you know everyone in it, but with the writing team behind it, it's not entirely surprising. Even if it's not laugh-out-loud humour, it's just amusing to watch. Has its flaws, but with the second series already given, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. Also, the hiding in the bathroom scene in the last episode was extremely amusing. Also also, does anyone else think Josie is, all things considered, a selfish bitch? [spoiler]As soon as it was revealed she had a boyfriend, I was pretty shocked that someone so 'nice' would actually do that. Then she'd be telling other people secrets and so on...[/spoiler]

Anyhow, other watching:

Frozen Planet was absolutely stunning to watch. Credit to the team for that. I look forward to watching tonight's episode at some point soon on the HD iPlayer (stupid Freeview not having BBC HD). Chuck's final season started, been meaning to watch that at some point soon, as well as Misfits, although I have less motivation to watch that for some reason. Also standard fare with Have I Got News For You, which has been rather good this series. Particularly amusing seeing the gang, led by Ian Hislop, utterly dismantle Louise Mensch.