Page 146 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3222
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Three episodes into Freaks and Geeks now and I can point my finger to exactly what it is that I already enjoy so much about it. There's a refreshing honesty to it. The pained expressions of "I want to talk to you, but I don't know how" between parent and child (and vice-versa) and grounded situations that slowly spin out of control all the while maintaining a realistic context. Nothing that has happened so far is so exaggerated or implausible as to break the atmosphere of things nearly sliding out of control but not quite. Or as Lindsey's father said at the end of the last episode, "You're on thin ice." It's the tight-rope act where the performer is intentionally looking like they're going to fall off knowing they won't.

It's great!
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Re-watching Lost at the moment. Gotten through Season 1 now and gotten onto Season 2. Wow was this a really really good show that knocked it out of the park first Season(which after watching quite a few Television shows is actually quite a rare thing). The thing is this show is totally about the characters but its surprising that one of the key things about Lost: its flashbacks, weren't really all that prevalent for the first couple of episodes a lot of the action is on the Island. But once it does get into it its really quite an interesting technique, it can basically make a short story, a comparison, and say so much between the two different storylines. I think the problem a lot of times with the characters is that it was so good with them, every beginning episode is about their redemption in some way and their change from one facet of their character to a much more nicer facet that character. In story terms thats totally all you need because it makes some really wonderful satisfying storylines, the stand outs obviously being John Lockes and Charlie's. In fact one thing I'm still amazed at is how John Locke and the episodes surrounding him are soooo brilliant. Walkabout and Deus Ex Machina are just so emotionally great running the gamet of beautiful and moving to absolutely horrible and dark. I won't say Lost is really that deep but it just does its storylines and characters so well and gives you the emotions that are tied to them that it doesn't need to be.

Onto Season 2 I realized that this show has become a character and Mystery show...I mean it takes 4 episodes to get to after the Desmond reveal...the first season would of totally not done that it pretty much would have skipped all the unnecessary bits. So yeah I can see the problem which it had..though to be honest I do think that might have been an audience problem. People looked at Lost as a mystery show about the questions about what the island was and why they were there and stuff like that...thats not the show it was in the first season and it shouldn't really become that show. After re-watching it I just didn't care about the mystery I guess thats because I already know it but I also think its because its not really that dwelled on...the mystery elements are there for the characters and there for sometimes visual metaphors...its not there to put in real plot I don't think.

Watching the new series of Utopia and it's brilliant! It's so dark and so compelling, the acting is perfect and the writing is pitch perfect. Truly the best drama to come out of these isles this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grammar hippie View Post
    Watching the new series of Utopia and it's brilliant! It's so dark and so compelling, the acting is perfect and the writing is pitch perfect. Truly the best drama to come out of these isles this year.
    *Let's see, the IMDb pages doesn't even have a poster*
    **Paul Higgins**
    Fucking sold!!
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Flickr, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Finished watching Twin Peaks. Managed to not burn out on Season 2 by playing games with it on in the background. Picked up near the end, and the finale is pure Lynch. It really shows that they were just making it up as they went along, though. I guess I'll watch Fire Walk With Me, just for more Gordon Cole and some Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Finished watching Twin Peaks. Managed to not burn out on Season 2 by playing games with it on in the background. Picked up near the end, and the finale is pure Lynch. It really shows that they were just making it up as they went along, though. I guess I'll watch Fire Walk With Me, just for more Gordon Cole and some Bowie.
    God, no. Just stay away, it's really horrible. Worse, Lara Flynn Boyle has been replace by some Other Darrin.

I have to say its a good little Horror Movie. It won't change your life and it totally doesn't really add to Twin Peaks that much. It just is quite a disturbing portrayal of the things that come up when the killer was him from Twin Peaks. It has the bits I quite liked from Twin Peaks the underlying nastiness of this what looks to be a wonderful community, which is something David Lynch is really good at. Also the opening third is just absolutely entertaining with its two FBI and it really not having to do anything with the movie it becomes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Worse, Lara Flynn Boyle has been replace by some Other Darrin.
    Husky Whisper won't be missed. I can always re-watch Red Rock West, anyway. Sherilyn Fenn, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Sherilyn Fenn, on the other hand...
    Goddamn you! You had to remember me?
    *sobs uncontrollably*

You see what happened, sabrage? You see what happened?
    You see what happened when you REMEMBER A STRANGER OF AUDREY?

I to go around and watch this crap. Didn't know how far had CSI fell. Well, it's not THAT bad, but it's still pretty bad. By-the-books, so okay it's average "drama".
    This series really is a zombie, so pumped full of cash it remains alive. The swooshy graphics are ridiculous.

EDIT: What the actual fuck?
    Last edited by somini; 17-07-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    You see what happened, sabrage? You see what happened?
    You find a stranger in the Alps.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I finished Vikings. Well, the two seasons that exist yet, that is. It's a good enough Game of Thrones substitute and being interested in history is kind of like having read the A Song of Ice and Fire books - you get a general idea of what is going to happen and who is going to do what. The show still takes enough liberties, though. For example, it took me forever to figure out Rollo is supposed to be THE Rollo because he's generally not associated with Lothbrok.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Marathonned my way through 3rd Rock From The Sun. It makes a lot of current shows look kinda sterile by comparison, as it wasn't afraid to shy away from open discussions of sex and racism. That said, I'd forgotten how much of a self-centred asshole Dick could come across as, but it works because John Lithgow just sells the hell out of it.

Now re-watching the first two seasons of The Newsroom. Sam Waterston is a damn fine actor, bow-tie notwithstanding.

"Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    How do you guys have time to be re-watching whole seasons?? I don't have time to watch a 10th of all the shows that sound awesome these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BillButNotBen View Post
    How do you guys have time to be re-watching whole seasons?? I don't have time to watch a 10th of all the shows that sound awesome these days.
    2 episodes a day, a bit more on weekends. Sleeping is for schmucks.

Having a week off work helps as well.

Has anyone watched the first few episodes of The Leftovers? I was giving it the benefit of the doubt due to the interesting premise and the fact it's got Christopher Ecclestone in it, but fucking hell, there is not a single character I actually want to see more of, including his.
    "Men shall never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Diderot

It uses Bagels as a visual Metaphor! Bagels!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Marathonned my way through 3rd Rock From The Sun. It makes a lot of current shows look kinda sterile by comparison, as it wasn't afraid to shy away from open discussions of sex and racism. That said, I'd forgotten how much of a self-centred asshole Dick could come across as, but it works because John Lithgow just sells the hell out of it.
    I used to love that show. Is it on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    Having a week off work helps as well.

Has anyone watched the first few episodes of The Leftovers? I was giving it the benefit of the doubt due to the interesting premise and the fact it's got Christopher Ecclestone in it, but fucking hell, there is not a single character I actually want to see more of, including his.
    I'm watching it. I agree that the characters are pretty meh, but will continue watching to see if anything interesting happens with the Guilty Remnant.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Network Hub
    Like actual TV shows? Only New Girl is on my schedule over here. Everything else I don't mind missing an episode. Or all of them.